#$@%!* county property tax assessment - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Re: #[email protected]%!* county property tax assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Your right, raising property taxes raises the amount of houses with "For Sale" signs out in front.
Right on the money, Hank!! If I didn't know better, I would say you live in NY and not CT. I suppose the gov'ts are taking lessons from each other anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 1:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
Another good reform would be to eliminate property taxes for retired people. Property taxes fund education generally, and why should you pay if you don't have any school aged children?
I've NEVER had school aged children so perhaps I should have had a lower tax rate all along!

You know, if it had been a 5% increase I wouldn't be bitching, but 19% all at one time? And it is happening not just in my county. And this is while we have a (supposed) governor and legislature that is all concerned with delivering property tax relief. All I say is, PROVE IT. To be fair, they wanted to deliver property tax relief for farmers, so I guess they have to make up for it by taxing the rest of us more..... I'm not against helping farmers, they need it, but there should be a way to do it without increasing revenue burdens over all. Our state has a balanced budget this year so what gives?

Every neighbor I've talked to got a similar valuation increase.

Interesting that this year they are asking you to physically attend an arbitration meeting if you want to protest. You CAN choose the option to just let them decide but they don't state that very prominently and if no one shows I can only guess what they will do. By requesting in person meetings, I suspect they are looking for ways to limit protests. I've no idea why EVERYONE doesn't file a protest but many of my neighbors are not going to. What have you got to lose? We have to send a message but no one wants to get involved.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 1:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE 69 View Post
Right on the money, Hank!! If I didn't know better, I would say you live in NY and not CT. I suppose the gov'ts are taking lessons from each other anyway.
Connecticut

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 2:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
I've NEVER had school aged children so perhaps I should have had a lower tax rate all along!

You know, if it had been a 5% increase I wouldn't be bitching, but 19% all at one time? And it is happening not just in my county. And this is while we have a (supposed) governor and legislature that is all concerned with delivering property tax relief. All I say is, PROVE IT. To be fair, they wanted to deliver property tax relief for farmers, so I guess they have to make up for it by taxing the rest of us more..... I'm not against helping farmers, they need it, but there should be a way to do it without increasing revenue burdens over all. Our state has a balanced budget this year so what gives?

Every neighbor I've talked to got a similar valuation increase.

Interesting that this year they are asking you to physically attend an arbitration meeting if you want to protest. You CAN choose the option to just let them decide but they don't state that very prominently and if no one shows I can only guess what they will do. By requesting in person meetings, I suspect they are looking for ways to limit protests. I've no idea why EVERYONE doesn't file a protest but many of my neighbors are not going to. What have you got to lose? We have to send a message but no one wants to get involved.
It sounds like your houses were all appraised at a higher price because values have risen on home values since they were last appraised. In our case the town was really getting into big trouble financially with under funding pensions, etc. and when they looked back it was so long since a total town re-appraisal was done that is was one of the options they looked at to raise more revenue. That is when we saw the biggest rise in taxes. Now by law they have to re-appraise home values after a certain number of years. We have had a couple of re-appraisals since the initial one and with these the mill rate was either raised or lowered depending on which way the re-appraisals went but they always find a way to throw in an extra mill or two.

post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 3:04 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Rich a couple years.ago a very similar thing ( reevaluation) happened county wide where I live. My neighbor had a real estate attorney prepare the documents for his appeal. Because we have very similar houses I just mirrored his info to fight mine. Neither of us were successful. I only know one person that was successful and got their evaluation lowered and it was lowered about 50-$60k. Don't know if it is a coincidence but they were a member of the police department.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 3:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
It sounds like your houses were all appraised at a higher price because values have risen on home values since they were last appraised. In our case the town was really getting into big trouble financially with under funding pensions, etc. and when they looked back it was so long since a total town re-appraisal was done that is was one of the options they looked at to raise more revenue. That is when we saw the biggest rise in taxes. Now by law they have to re-appraise home values after a certain number of years. We have had a couple of re-appraisals since the initial one and with these the mill rate was either raised or lowered depending on which way the re-appraisals went but they always find a way to throw in an extra mill or two.
It wasn't just my town, it was the whole county. And it wasn't just my county, it seems it was pretty much statewide. My state has a balanced budget and money in the rainy day fund, my city has a balanced budget and money in the bank. Seems like an odd time for such a huge increase as they can't argue a need and property prices are hardly skyrocketing.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 4:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
It wasn't just my town, it was the whole county. And it wasn't just my county, it seems it was pretty much statewide. My state has a balanced budget and money in the rainy day fund, my city has a balanced budget and money in the bank. Seems like an odd time for such a huge increase as they can't argue a need and property prices are hardly skyrocketing.
Has there been any talk of the mill rate dropping when the new assessments go into effect. In our State high pension payouts and continuing health care coverage for state employees after retirement has to be addressed it's just gotten out of control.

post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Has there been any talk of the mill rate dropping when the new assessments go into effect. In our State high pension payouts and continuing health care coverage for state employees after retirement has to be addressed it's just gotten out of control.
Maybe government employees at all levels need to start living with the same 401k/Social Security-Medicare/Medicaid realities as the rest of us? Moving forward at least. And it should be easier to fire a government employee.
gspan1830, HKalin and davewho1 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 8:30 PM
Tech Team
John

Not to stir the pot Rich, but check this out. DHHS Neb. 156% match. I'm lucky to get 25% and that's just because i got grandfather in at the company I work for. They cut the pension program on all employees with 5 years or less. Washington County started they're revenue plan about 15 years ago. Black topping gravel roads, promoting Subdivisions, bringing city water out. Land and improvements on mine have gone up 150,000 in that time period....progress and it's all relevant is what they call it. BS You guys are all right....seems to be a common theme. I need to just join instead of signing out this way on my son's site.

Andrew's dad john
Retirement
State employees are eligible to participate in the Nebraska State Employees Retirement System. Membership in the plan begins immediately upon employment. Deductions are 4.8% of gross pay each pay period.

Temporary employees are not eligible to participate in this plan.

The law does not allow you to contribute more than the specified amount.

The state matches your contributions at the rate of 156%.

For additional information contact the Nebraska State Employee Retirement System at (402) 471-2053.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 8:32 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Rich, if you have a hydro right-of-way on your property you can appeal your assessment based on the hydro easement. Few people ever have heard of that one.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 4:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Whew... well that one reason why California isn't all bad... With Prop 13, the prop value increases are capped to a max of 2% per year... It all goes back to the basis of the price you bought your home at (or 1976?, when Prop 13 took affect)...

I bought my home near the top of the market, and the County actually reduced the rates automatically for a few years... But during that time I was also able to get a further reduction by appealing... I think 3 out of 4 years, I won my appeal. The forth year, I still won a further reduction, but not as low as I hoped... Bt the values have come roaring back, and the "2% cap" doesn't apply to the reduced values due to the appeals... So the base value has been increasing about 2% per year...

My base rate is only 1% of the assessed value, with an additional 0.1 or 0.2% due to local funding measures passed by the local voters... 1+% doesn't seem bad, but with the high price of California real estate... I also pay a set bond fee of about $1900 per year to pay for the new schools that were built with my home. That $1900 does not increase... The good news, is that school bond will be paid off around 2030 (30 year bond, I think), but I could always pay off mine anytime...

I did have another argument with the assessors office, as we put in a swimming pool 4 years ago, and they initially assessed us 100% of the cost! I appealed and they apologized, as it should have been ONLY 82% of the actual cost... Of course, a used pool doesn't add 82%, but no way to reduce further without paying for an appraisal, and I am sure current values are higher than the current assessed value...

I live in the same County as KarlJay, but thankfully, my City hasn't been using any tactics to get more income with fees and fines... Of course, they are getting ready to develop 10,000 new homes which will bring a whole slew of new problems...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 7:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I got a letter that my appeal hearing meeting is set for 7/7. I wish I could argue my case based on moral grounds but c'mon, government employees understanding what morals are? Yeah, right.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 17, 9:14 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
And you talk to people who support big government, and they will insist that government has a revenue problem, not a spending problem, yet they consistently spend more than they have, regardless of how much they have.

Libs bitch about Prop 13 because it limits revenue, but without it you would end up with a situation similar to the northeast, where people get taxed out of their houses.

Another good reform would be to eliminate property taxes for retired people. Property taxes fund education generally, and why should you pay if you don't have any school aged children?
I'm a systems analyst and have studied economics for decades. There's two primary mindsets and they are built into people's mind based on what they've experienced.

I just read about the new generation that saw what happened in the 08 meltdown and how the Gov addressed it. Millions saw their parents lose their homes, they saw a bailout for banks and not for people.

This effects how they behave now that they are a BIG part of the market.

The real problem is that this keeps going, no matter what you do, the big gov people will always have the same answer... "we need more of your money"

California is at a breaking point from the view of affordability. We have massive poverty, a homeless state of emergency, and yet they find money for a high speed train...

It's basically a tapeworm ... you have to drink a bit of poison to kill your tapeworm.
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 12:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Rich, if you have a hydro right-of-way on your property you can appeal your assessment based on the hydro easement. Few people ever have heard of that one.
interesting. Can you do the same with a power line easement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 17, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
The water main runs under my property, in the area between the sidewalk and the street. Not sure how that helps my case though. Please explain further.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 907 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.