#$@%!* county property tax assessment - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 8:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: #[email protected]%!* county property tax assessment

It's all a scam, the town decides how much money they want, then they decide what the value of everything is (allegedly), and then they set the mil rate to get the number they already decided they want.

It's like going to Vegas and betting against the house. You aren't going to win.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."

Last edited by jpete; Jun 4th, 17 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete View Post
It's all s scam, the town decides how much money they want, then they decide what the value of everything is (allegedly), and then they set the mil rate to get the number they already decided they want.

It's like going to Vegas and betting against the house. You aren't going to win.
Three simple reforms I'd like to see:

1. The same entity that benefits from the taxes should not be the same entity that decides the value those taxes are based on

2. The city or county should not be allowed to foreclose on a property for unpaid taxes. They should be collectable only upon sale of the property by the owner and only after any primary lien holders have been paid.

3. Annual increases should be limited to the rate of inflation a la Proposition 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 10:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Wow, you guys are lucky. My wife and me own a 1600 sq.ft house in CT on about a 1/3 acre and pay around $7800 a year for city taxes, plus car taxes on top of that.
We are moving soon (within a couple of years). Looking for a place in an out of the way county with low taxes. Like Mississippi for instance. You can get an acre with a 3 br house on it and pay maybe $800/yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
We are moving soon (within a couple of years). Looking for a place in an out of the way county with low taxes. Like Mississippi for instance. You can get an acre with a 3 br house on it and pay maybe $800/yr
When you think about it what we pay for house taxes alone ($7800) is almost what some peoples mortgages are. Like I said it's only 1600 sq.ft. on a 1/3 acre lot and is by no means a mansion.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 4:57 PM
TDW
Team Member

School taxes. I own three properties that I pay school taxes on. They are the biggest portion of my taxes. My last kid has been out of school for over twenty years. I would like to see that changed.

I had to fight the Township a few years ago about my assessments. The local "Tax Board" would not budge an inch, although I took them a vast amount of documentation stating that they had way over-assessed me. I ended up going to the Michigan Tax Tribunal Court to fight them. I won easily when the Tribunal took the time to actually read my material.

Tony
Some old Hot Rods and Harleys.
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 7:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

you have to protest every time. most of the time they will reduce it some
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 8:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Rural north Alabama is a good choice, low taxes & cost of living all around. I live in Birmingham area, about a $300k house on 2 1/4 acres, real estate taxes are $1800 annually. My wife owns 40 forested acres in NW Alabama and taxes are $129 a year.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 3:02 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Three simple reforms I'd like to see:

1. The same entity that benefits from the taxes should not be the same entity that decides the value those taxes are based on

2. The city or county should not be allowed to foreclose on a property for unpaid taxes. They should be collectable only upon sale of the property by the owner and only after any primary lien holders have been paid.

3. Annual increases should be limited to the rate of inflation a la Proposition 13.
They've been trying to get Prop13 reversed for years. I pay a few hundred a year for mine because it based on when I bought it. I own a detached house and saw a condo that is smaller than my house and the HOA and prop taxes were more for 1 month than I pay for 1 year.

In California during the housing bubble, Stockton and others spent like crazy. This is where the problem is, the gov in California had a HUGE increase in income from property taxes, yet they STILL couldn't balance their budget. Look at cities that went broke in CA. How do you collect that much MORE money than before and still can't balance your budget.

I remember after the crash, they were going after anyone and everyone for any violation just to get some money. I got fined for having a lawn mower in my back yard. They busted down the fence and took pics of my back yard and fined me for having a lawn mower and wheel barrel in my back yard which is illegal.
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 9:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
When you think about it what we pay for house taxes alone ($7800) is almost what some peoples mortgages are. Like I said it's only 1600 sq.ft. on a 1/3 acre lot and is by no means a mansion.
That's confiscatory.

I hear stories all the time about retired people being taxed out of the houses they have lived in for decades.

That's criminal.
HKalin and shovelrick like this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
Rural north Alabama is a good choice, low taxes & cost of living all around. I live in Birmingham area, about a $300k house on 2 1/4 acres, real estate taxes are $1800 annually. My wife owns 40 forested acres in NW Alabama and taxes are $129 a year.
Huntsville is on our short list. A buddy grew up there and lives there now, he likes it enough to have his kids there.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
They've been trying to get Prop13 reversed for years. I pay a few hundred a year for mine because it based on when I bought it. I own a detached house and saw a condo that is smaller than my house and the HOA and prop taxes were more for 1 month than I pay for 1 year.

In California during the housing bubble, Stockton and others spent like crazy. This is where the problem is, the gov in California had a HUGE increase in income from property taxes, yet they STILL couldn't balance their budget. Look at cities that went broke in CA. How do you collect that much MORE money than before and still can't balance your budget.

I remember after the crash, they were going after anyone and everyone for any violation just to get some money. I got fined for having a lawn mower in my back yard. They busted down the fence and took pics of my back yard and fined me for having a lawn mower and wheel barrel in my back yard which is illegal.
And you talk to people who support big government, and they will insist that government has a revenue problem, not a spending problem, yet they consistently spend more than they have, regardless of how much they have.

Libs bitch about Prop 13 because it limits revenue, but without it you would end up with a situation similar to the northeast, where people get taxed out of their houses.

Another good reform would be to eliminate property taxes for retired people. Property taxes fund education generally, and why should you pay if you don't have any school aged children?
davewho1 and shovelrick like this.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
That's confiscatory.

I hear stories all the time about retired people being taxed out of the houses they have lived in for decades.

That's criminal.
That's how it is in CT. We bought our home brand new in 1998 in a town that had a high tax rate but if you bought the same house in another town it would have cost 2 to 3 times more. It was like pay up front by the cost of the house or over the years because of the higher mill rate. People will ask me now where I live and I reply the tax town Waterbury Ct. Their reply is in their towns the taxes are getting just as bad. About 2 years ago they finally equalized car taxes because you could own the same exact car in different towns and pay a lot more because of the towns mill rate. Now 2 years later the state wants to end this process because the state is in so much financial trouble they can't afford to subsidize it anymore even though when they initiated the change the state was in trouble then too. We own a 2016 and 2017 vehicle and we'll probably be paying $1k or more a piece on taxes on them also. Luckily on my 71 Malibu they can't assess the vehicle for more than $500 because it has antique plates on it. So in total we'll pay close to if not more than $10k a year in city taxes and there are a lot more that pay even more than that. Now you know why you don't see any ads "Retire To Connecticut".

post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 10:34 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

In the.area that I live taxes are pretty high and especially in my township as they have a very elaborate and highly rated school.system. The teachers top out over $100K. Even just moving to a different school district would lower my taxes significantly. However we have no personal property tax such as taxes on vehicles. Also no sales tax on food or clothing so that is in our favor. Don't think it quite evens out with states with lower property tax but just saying they are going to.get you one way or another. Maybe the short answer is retire to the South.
post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

The biggest lie you will ever hear.

"Raising property taxes raises property value"
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspan1830 View Post
The biggest lie you will ever hear.

"Raising property taxes raises property value"
Your right, raising property taxes raises the amount of houses with "For Sale" signs out in front.
shovelrick likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 888 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.