#$@%!* county property tax assessment - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 17, 9:15 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: #[email protected]%!* county property tax assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
The Gov needs the value of homes to rise like crazy in order for them to find new source of money.
This is EXACTLY right. My county states they need $X each year and the assessors office plays with the numbers and calculations to plug into the tax rate set by law and keep it under the maximum yearly tax increase set by state law. If the are told to raise $150m this year, they will. If they are told to raise $160m next year, they will. The ONLY way to stop this madness is to elect strict conservatives to your local and state government positions, including school boards. Electing liberals who believe in redistribution of wealth are not your friend.

'69 Malibu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

I recently learned my county office has my homes square footage off by 600 square feet, And not in my favor. They also have my unfinished basement at 74% finished? Now as I understand it the assessors can only assess your house from the curb. With that in mind how the he** can they determine if my basement is finished or unfinished and at what freakin percentage. I also learned my homeowners insurance premiums are based by what is in the county records. So who knows how long I've been overpaying on my taxes and insurance? I emailed the assessor to schedule an appointment. Think I've heard back, NO. Guess I'll just have to show up and have a chat with him.

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.
67 std Camaro conv, 1978 Corvette, 03 Silverado, 13 Sonata Hybrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Mailed my protest off this morning.
Not2Fast likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

It's steeling is all it is. Didn't we kick England's ass over this same thing some time ago? Just be happy you have just enough to survive and live a meager life so you can support those who will never work a day in the lives.
gspan1830, shovelrick and 68-13427 like this.

You tube video laying down final paint

post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
Didn't we kick England's ass over this same thing some time ago?
Nope. Our ancestors did that. Different breed back then.
KarlJay likes this.
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 2:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

They were over due for evaluations around here and many people didnt like what they saw when they got their revised statements.
Mine went up, but Im not complaining, its still worth more then what they said.

Mitch

73 Chevelle Laguna 33,000 miles

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 2:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Rich the county I live in did that same thing to me.
I had 30 days and I made a phone call to the court house that sent the letter.
They told me the township had changed..I told them there is NO township. It is Oklahoma city. nothing changed.
So they fixed it and value stayed the same as the year before.

I think there is a law here that it can't go up more than a certain percentage each year.
They were over that by many times.
But I suppose if you do not protest.

I would make a phone call.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Most of the towns up my way did this ten years ago. Bought my house in 95 and it was valued at 90k. They didn't change it for ten years. During the beginning of the housing bubble they did all the houses in the town. My evaluation almost doubled. But my taxes only went up 500 bucks a year. As said the tax rate seems to go up and down to meet the needs but overall I haven't paid a lot more year to year. Now they eval ever 3 years I think.
HKalin likes this.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 3:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

As a contractor I use "my county" property appraiser.com website, that tells old permits, sq. ft., value, amount paid and so on.

post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

When we moved here our taxes were $759 a year. Now they are just under $2300 a year. If the valuation stands and the tax rate remains the same it will go up by around $440.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 8:56 PM
Tech Team
John

Lancaster county is online if you happen to appeal it again. I've protested mine 3 times in the last 30 years and was able to get them to drop it back to where it was. One thing I've learned is get all your ducks in a row (as they say) and don't let them in your house. They've asked me each time and said they needed an inside inspection to be accurate....BS They should be taking the valuation off of the sq. ft and a joining properties of comparable sized and style. Recent permits that have been taken out will raise the valuation. Mines up to $4100 a year and I'm starting to wonder if i can afford to stay here after i retire.....

Andrew's dad, John
Washington County Ne
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 9:03 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Move SOUTH...

My total county property tax on a $265K house is $560 /yr.
House is 2260 sq ft with a separate 650 sq ft shop...all on 3/4 acre in a small, private subdivision with pool & tennis.
No 6 months of snow plow maintenance needed...

On the other hand...tax on a $90K ranch I own in WNY runs over $3K per year.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 17, 10:28 PM
Tech Team
John

I've thought about moving just because of that....but just got done building a 1400 sq ft shop 3 years ago, have no payments, kids, grand kids are all here. Not much maint. on a 1958 ford 901 with a 7' blade and starting all over just doesn't sound that appealing....guess i'll be working forever....on something
New plates should say "Tax Me State"
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 4:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

I successfully fought it once. What they had done was do a search for similar homes in a radius and taken the three most expensive, and used those as the basis for a jump from 65k to 130k. In the process, they ignored a nearly identical house right across the street. I simply did the same search, and took the three lowest, and went in and won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 4:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Wow, you guys are lucky. My wife and me own a 1600 sq.ft house in CT on about a 1/3 acre and pay around $7800 a year for city taxes, plus car taxes on top of that.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 884 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.