Buying: Title and registration in prev. owner's name? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old May 17th, 17, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: Buying: Title and registration in prev. owner's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
Honestly, no disrespect intended, if you haven't grasped how flipping titles works by now you probably should not buy this car.
I already walked away from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old May 18th, 17, 9:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Well, now that we've gone "there"...here's a story. I had a co-worker that once bought a beater motorcycle. He showed the title and bill of sale to the boss, who had nothing to do with the deal but was knowledgeable and street smart guy and asked "do I have everything I need to transfer this?" The boss looked at it, said "the title isn't signed". Then, the boss grabbed the title and a pen, put a signature on it, handed it to the co-worker and said "now it's signed." No problems transferring and registering the bike. Made me realize how so many people have the same hand writing.
Bambino likes this.

Zeke

67 Chevelle
64 Chevelle
90 Corvette ZR1
TC# 3094 ACES# 7297
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke67 View Post
Well, now that we've gone "there"...here's a story. I had a co-worker that once bought a beater motorcycle. He showed the title and bill of sale to the boss, who had nothing to do with the deal but was knowledgeable and street smart guy and asked "do I have everything I need to transfer this?" The boss looked at it, said "the title isn't signed". Then, the boss grabbed the title and a pen, put a signature on it, handed it to the co-worker and said "now it's signed." No problems transferring and registering the bike. Made me realize how so many people have the same hand writing.

^True. Each state is different but unless it's a notary state you should just need a clear title with the seller's name and signature, proof of insurance and sometimes a bill of sale but that's usually for newer vehicles. They check for flags like duplicates, tickets and back taxes. Unless something is obviously wrong they don't care about anything but collecting money and getting you out the door. If another situation like this comes up you could bring the seller as a "friend" not part of the transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 11:24 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

obviously the DMV can not verify signatures, but what they do look for is a) date the seller signed it, and b) any attempt to alter any info previously written on the title. Item a triggers penalties and item b suggest fraud... So, if someone only signs the back it can be a non issue when transferring, if they sign and date it and it goes past 30 days you will have a penalty at the least. So, it a flipper doesn't register the vehicle and it's months late of required registration be prepared to pay penalties, penalties that aren't yours... If you're ok with that, good luck...

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 857 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.