Any other turbo buick owners here? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old May 9th, 17, 7:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

I've had quite a few GNs & TRs over the years. It's rare to see a black 87 Turbo T with the chrome trim and it's an astroroof car too. Nice find!
Adam Loose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old May 9th, 17, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robert

Re: Any other turbo buick owners here?

I'm here too! I've owned my 87 GN since Aug 1st 1987
Adam Loose likes this.

87 Buick GN
66 Malibu
65 2dr wagon- sold 8-22-15
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old May 10th, 17, 8:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
I'm here, I'm here!… I bought my GN brand new back in '87 and "improved" it ever since… (see my signature) . To answer your question about GN's and T-Types, there were only 215 GN's built in '82, none in '83 (only 3,732 T-Types) and then in '84 (5,401) GN's + T-Types total, '85 (4,202), and in '86 (7,896) and '87 (28,741) which includes 547 GNX's. They got a better turbo setup as well as an intercooler in '86 and '87 and made more hp (235 in '86 and 245 in '87). All were automatic, with a 2004R transmission and had a 8.5 rear axle with 3:42 gear ratio, but surprisingly, positraction was an option!

Claude.

P.S: "Adam Loose", great looking car, congrats! …and I'll be glad to help if you need more info on them.
I thought they only made just over 5000 GN's in 86?
Anyway my car is factory CF5 and G80!!!

69 SS396 Chevelle
87 Buick Turbo T
2014 Chevy Silverado crew cab 4x4
Laureldale,PA
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old May 10th, 17, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
That looks like the T-Type I sold a few years ago on ebay,same options and it had about 19K on it.
This is an 87 Turbo T, Buick changed the name in 87 from T-type to Turbo T. Anyway what state you from? I bought the car from the 3rd owner in NJ, he bought it from 2nd owner in DE, and originally it came from CT.

69 SS396 Chevelle
87 Buick Turbo T
Laureldale,PA
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old May 10th, 17, 8:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
I've had quite a few GNs & TRs over the years. It's rare to see a black 87 Turbo T with the chrome trim and it's an astroroof car too. Nice find!
Yes,you are correct. I've also read that the burgundy interior is rare. As most black cars had the grey interior. Its also a G80 posi car,and has aluminum bumper brackets.

69 SS396 Chevelle
87 Buick Turbo T
Laureldale,PA
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old May 10th, 17, 9:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Loose View Post
Yes,you are correct. I've also read that the burgundy interior is rare. As most black cars had the grey interior. Its also a G80 posi car,and has aluminum bumper brackets.
Most T-types & Turbo-Ts I've come across had the aluminum bumper brackets, and combined with the aluminum wheels, they were lighter than the Grand Nationals. A little bit of trivia... only the non-posi cars got the aluminum rear drums.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 17, 8:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
This is an 87 Turbo T, Buick changed the name in 87 from T-type to Turbo T. Anyway what state you from? I bought the car from the 3rd owner in NJ, he bought it from 2nd owner in DE, and originally it came from CT.
that is the car-I am sure of it.I am in CT. Not a lot of them around like that with those miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mr 4 speed; May 11th, 17 at 8:57 AM.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 17, 9:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
I thought they only made just over 5000 GN's in 86?
Anyway my car is factory CF5 and G80!!!
Adam, 7,896 is the total for all turbo Regals (GN's + T-Types) made in '86. More precisely, there were 2,384 T-Types, 5,512 Grand Nationals. There were also 112 LeSabre Grand Nationals but these were non-turbo cars. Hope this clarifies it!

and

Quote:
"aluminum bumper brackets".
It's not the bumper brackets which are made of aluminum but the big reinforcement bar which is mounted inside the whole length of the bumpers……and this only for T-Types, not Grand Nationals.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 17, 3:42 PM
Murray

First and foremost: CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY and GREETINGS from Chicago!! And YES, turbo Buick owners can like other cars too...like Chevys!! lol
I'm ALSO A TURBO BUICK OWNER from way, way back. In the spring of 1986, I ordered a Grand National. It was SUPERFAST and I loved it. I traded it in the fall of '87 for a Buick GNX (#531). In '89, the dealership alerted me about a demo GNX (#56) that they had and asked me if I wanted it. Needless to say, I JUMPED at it!! So for awhile, I had 2 GNXs, in addition to a '70 Road Runner and a '70 Javelin/AMX.

Eventually I sold the first GNX and STILL have my second. In 2015, I picked up my '67 Chevy El Camino, which I am in the process of restoring/rebuilding - which brings me here.

ENJOY your turbo Buick. They weren't built that well at the time, but then again, what '80s GM was?? But the T-Types (which is actually what you have) weren't as plentiful as the Grand Nationals. They were mostly picked up by older drivers or families who needed the bench seat, when new. But because of that, they weren't as ABUSED as the Grand Nationals were. They were stealthy hot rods, without the musclecar looks of the Grand National. They were essentially a Buick Regal with Grand National power. Thus the plush interiors and options. The insurance was cheaper on them also versus a Grand National, which had a nasty reputation for racing - well earned!!

But like so many other things in our times, the EXPLOITATION HAS OCCURRED. As the Grand National has risen in stature and PRICE, MANY LOW LIFES ARE TURNING T-TYPES INTO FALSE GRAND NATIONALS AND SELLING THEM AS REAL/ORIGINALS. I have a friend that was taken too. But its no difference than phoney SS Chevys or false GTOs, so like so many other things, its BUYER BEWARE.
So its VERY RARE just to FIND an 86/87 Buick T-Type that hasn't been modified or abused so you have a RARE CAR. Good find.

TRIVIA INFO.: When one ORDERED a Grand National when new, one actually purchased THREE CARS. First you had to order the Regal, and then you had to purchase the T-Type Package. On top of that, you had to purchase the Grand National Package.
Adam Loose likes this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 17, 4:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

I had two. first was a two tone 83 TType that was an even bigger turd when I swapped the hot air 3.8 for a Poncho 301. WTH man? Hey, I was 19.

Second was the Big Comfy Couch, the 34k mile 86 TType. that car was a beast. Put a Poston cam, and changed the turbo. Built the trans and on 34 pounds of boost from a TA 49 turbo, it ran deep 10's.

But the 86 had a problem. It was hooked on meth.
Adam Loose likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old May 11th, 17, 6:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Robert

Yeah. Its a nice car for sure.
I know the previous owner from Delaware. I talked to him yesterday and today so he is aware of this page.

You can contact me privately and I'll give you his number.

Rob

87 Buick GN
66 Malibu
65 2dr wagon- sold 8-22-15
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
that is the car-I am sure of it.I am in CT. Not a lot of them around like that with those miles.
So are you saying you owned this car before, original owner? Do you still have the vin #? PM the vin if you do, and I'll let you know. I have all the records for the car, just haven't had time to thoroughly look through them yet.

69 SS396 Chevelle
87 Buick Turbo T
Laureldale,PA
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage

Quote:
Adam, 7,896 is the total for all turbo Regals (GN's + T-Types) made in '86. More precisely, there were 2,384 T-Types, 5,512 Grand Nationals. There were also 112 LeSabre Grand Nationals but these were non-turbo cars. Hope this clarifies it!

and

It's not the bumper brackets which are made of aluminum but the big reinforcement bar which is mounted inside the whole length of the bumpers……and this only for T-Types, not Grand Nationals.

Claude.
According to my RPO sticker it has codes VD6 & VD7 which is front and rear aluminum bumper provisions. And since mine is an 87 it's a Turbo T, 86 were T-types.

69 SS396 Chevelle
87 Buick Turbo T
Laureldale,PA
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 1:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Adam

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
According to my RPO sticker it has codes VD6 & VD7 which is front and rear aluminum bumper provisions. And since mine is an 87 it's a Turbo T, 86 were T-types.
I just checked in "Kirban's Guide to 1986 and 1987 BUICK TURBO REGALS" and it's clearly explained at the bottom of page 224 that RPO code "VD6" is for the front reinforcement brace (not "provisions") and 'VD7" is for the rear.
This is only for '86 and '87 T-Types and also surprisingly all '87 GNX's but, not Grand Nationals.

Claude.
You keep saying 87 t-types, but they were called Turbo Ts in 87, which is what I have.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old May 14th, 17, 2:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Neat car, if Chris owned it beforehand I'm sure it's nice.

Tony N.
Chevelles, Camaros, and Pontiacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 881 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.