Considering pulling the TV Satellite Plug - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 1:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Considering pulling the TV Satellite Plug

Good information to know.

Thank you for sharing.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 2:35 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

We have Time Warner connected to four TVs, paying for a couple of thousand channels but only watch about eight or so.

Been thinking about this also and been playing around with a regular antenna on an old TV downstairs which gets 32 channels I think.

The problem is, no TV guide so you don't know what's on plus a couple of channels that the wife likes (Food network and game show) are not on, nor is Velocity that I watch. (Those channels keep showing the same thing over and over and over anyway) We never watch movies so we don't need any movie channels.
I wish there was a TV guide for the regular antenna TV.

Next door neighbor said his wife set up something called Roku, anyone know how that works?
haughty likes this.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

How is the tv reception in your area. I installed a nice big antenna for my Mom with a rotator and she is getting 12 channels now. Mom was getting one before and it was fuzzy. Saves a bunch of money. Get Netflix if want more shows. I have a antenna also up in my attic and with the digital channels now it comes In perfect. Even in Montana!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 3:23 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
My new Samsung TV has a TV guide for local stations. I believe the information is embedded in the over-the-air TV signal. I'm not sure how far out it goes, but it's showing at least 2-3 hours worth

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 5:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
I wish there was a TV guide for the regular antenna TV...
Check this out, Dean. I've been using it for a while; it's customizable and works well.

TitanTV ? Free Local TV Listings, Program Schedule, Show and Episode

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 5:51 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I bought an antenna off of Amazon and although it does pickup the 32 channels when stuck up in the basement window, I found out that an old set of rabbit ears stuck up in the same window works a lot better.

I need to experiment with the big HD TV in the living room and an antenna in the attic.
I still have the old CB radio coaxial cable up there but it's the big cable.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 7:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Garage

Dean,
The Roku basically turns your tv into a smart tv so you can get on the Internet to watch Netflix, you tube, Amazon prime... Any internet show. But you do need a wifi connection and you need to have a subscription to watch Netflix and Amazon prime or others. Some are free, some aren't

Don
'72 Malibu Convertible

TC #4782
Lincoln, Ne
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 8:16 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Check this out, Dean. I've been using it for a while; it's customizable and works well.

TitanTV ? Free Local TV Listings, Program Schedule, Show and Episode
Thanks for that link Dave.
now if I could somehow pick up all those channels.
davewho1 likes this.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 9:23 PM
Gold Member
Joe

I watched this years ago and never looked back. Over-the-air works for me. I've built these for friends and family. I have never had cable or satellite since I bought my house. I hung it in the attic and a main feed runs down to a Channel Master multi-port distributor/amp. I get plenty of channels. I think I ruined a coworkers day once when we were discussing DTV antennas--he spent like $60 or $80 on a commercial unit and I spent like $5 or $7 in parts.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I turned off cable about 15 years ago. Don't miss it, and my kids have grown up without it. I don't know how people have time for it honestly. I keep plenty busy without spending my life in front of a screen. I do (obviously) have internet, and enjoy watching something on Youtube occasionally, and we have Amazon Prime also which my wife uses now and then, but I would guess we maybe watch 4-5 hours total a month.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 17, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
We have Time Warner connected to four TVs, paying for a couple of thousand channels but only watch about eight or so.

Been thinking about this also and been playing around with a regular antenna on an old TV downstairs which gets 32 channels I think.

The problem is, no TV guide so you don't know what's on plus a couple of channels that the wife likes (Food network and game show) are not on, nor is Velocity that I watch. (Those channels keep showing the same thing over and over and over anyway) We never watch movies so we don't need any movie channels.

Next door neighbor said his wife set up something called Roku, anyone know how that works?
This is what I use. TV Listings - Find Local TV Shows and Movie Schedules - Listings Grid | TVGuide.com You have to set it up for your location, but once you do it updates itself. You can use the same version on your phone. I also have a Roku Box, and a Netflix account. Roku has a lot of free channels. I simply refuse to pay for anything I can get for free. Roku has it set up so you have to give them a Credit Card, but that's just for the use of the pay channels. Mine expired and they never asked for a new one. I have way to much going on to pay for TV. I watch a lot of YouTube on the Roku Box. All Free. I hope this helps.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 979 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.