Velocity TV Street Race - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Velocity TV Street Race

I was wondering what y'all thought about the show on TV - takes place in the midwest and is basically street racing. I am amazed at the
speed of the vehicles but wonder why it is allowed.

Just curious about safety, the crazy speeds and the interesting start sequence.

Obviously, it must be ok with the locals - cops, citizens etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 4:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Velocity TV Street Race

If its like street outlaws, imn pretty sure the tv show has it set up with local police and fire departments. Notice in the background you see ambulances etc. How else do they get away with the huge lights etc.
Im just imagining its probably just like when a movie company wants to shoot a movie in a town or city. Get the permits, pay to close off certain streets, pay for cops and emergency crews. Buy a bond in case any property gets damaged.
Now the fools doing this stuff for real on the streets not for tv is a different scenario putting other peoples lives at risk is really stupid. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 4:51 PM
Gold Member

Do you think that there will be racing between self-driving cars? That seems to be the future. With no one in the cars there will be no danger for a driver or passengers.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 4:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
Do you think that there will be racing between self-driving cars? That seems to be the future. With no one in the cars there will be no danger for a driver or passengers.
absolutely NOT, unless programed to [or hacked... ]

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 4:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Well, I can accept that but, I wonder at the speeds, the proximity of the cars next to each other - no barriers on either side - no barriers to prevent the
cars from leaving the track...

We have a track here in Medford that restricts cars from going too fast... ie. nitro burning dragsters.... and it has all the protections.

I agree with you that street racing is never good.

We are getting snow! Whee..... yeah...... bah humbug.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 5:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Question Re: Velocity TV Street Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkingbear View Post
I was wondering what y'all thought about the show on TV - takes place in the midwest and is basically street racing. I am amazed at the
speed of the vehicles but wonder why it is allowed.

Just curious about safety, the crazy speeds and the interesting start sequence.

Obviously, it must be ok with the locals - cops, citizens etc.
i can't find it on the schedule
what day/time do you see it???

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

i think street racing is cool when they block off both ends of a street in an industrial dist etc. some risk makes it fun thats just the way it is. ive drag raced over 30 years on the track but if i had a fast street car hell yes i would street race it. my main concern would be cops. as far as the show goes i didnt know about it but i will check it out. one more thing; if they dont like street racing stop closing tracks
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
There will be some sort of racing series. There is a racing series for drones, who would have thought. However, I don't foresee it replacing those with human drivers anytime soon.

Steve R
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 7:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Vince - it was on Sunday night around 8 PM Pacific....
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 7:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
i think street racing is cool when they block off both ends of a street in an industrial dist etc. some risk makes it fun thats just the way it is. ive drag raced over 30 years on the track but if i had a fast street car hell yes i would street race it. my main concern would be cops. as far as the show goes i didnt know about it but i will check it out. one more thing; if they dont like street racing stop closing tracks
My main concern is killing some innocent person, someone with their whole life ahead of them...

These shows are just like all the other "reality" TV shows.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 9:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
Someone I used to work with killed a spectator at a street race. A couple of people got into a fight at the "finish line" and some rocket scientist yelled "cops" to break it up. Predictably the crowd scattered, a 14 year old girl ran right in front of the cars that were on a run. In the grand scheme of things, what the legal system did to him doesn't compare to the guilt a normal person would go through.

Steve R
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 10:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The Street Outlaws show is on the Discovery channel right now.

Gotta remember it's T V

A lot of innocent people have been killed by real street racing which is the main reason that street racing discussions are not allowed on this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

I kind of like the show. Waayy too much drama and that freekin music when they're racing. And the foolish antics of Farmtruck guy and Asian....I'd rather see more about the cars, engines and racing.

And these are NOT street cars. I think a "street" car should be registered and driven to the race.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:29 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkingbear View Post
Well, I can accept that but, I wonder at the speeds, the proximity of the cars next to each other - no barriers on either side - no barriers to prevent the
cars from leaving the track...

We have a track here in Medford that restricts cars from going too fast... ie. nitro burning dragsters.... and it has all the protections.

I agree with you that street racing is never good.

We are getting snow! Whee..... yeah...... bah humbug.
Medford,mass? My mother is from there originally

EFI build thread:

Car Build thread:

71 Built 1972 Chevelle Malibu 136 SS clone as far as I know
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 17, 12:48 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I don't watch the show because they don't keep the camera on one thing more than a few seconds and I hate that plus the constant annoying bleep...bleep... bleeps
(Not to mention that they are promoting street racing even though it's not real.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1049 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.