Saying goodbye to a good friend - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By gmw468

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 3:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Saying goodbye to a good friend

Well my 68 Chevelle convertible was sold today. The new owner loaded it onto a trailer and drove away.

I bought the car a little over 2 years ago. My first ever car was a 69 Chevelle and I wanted to score another car of that body style. So I found this 68 ragtop. I loved this car and felt like it was going to be "the" car, but then I had a really nice 69 Camaro fall into my lap and I couldn't turn it down.

I grabbed the Camaro and brought it home and even though I tried, I couldn't convince my wife that 2 Musclecars were better than one. As much as I loved the Chevelle, the Camaro was just a much nicer car all around so the Chevelle was put up for sale.

I'm sad to see this car go. A Chevelle was my first car ever and they will always hold a special place in my heart.

Greg

68 Chevelle convertible. 396, 4 speed, 9" Ford rear with 3:70 gears

69 Camaro SS 427, TKO600 5 speed, 9" Ford rear with 3:89 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 3:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Saying goodbye to a good friend

Well, you got the camaro of your dreams and someone got a chevelle of thier dream. Great way to end or start the new years for the both of you. It is always sad to see them go. But the bulging wad of cash in your pocket does help ease the pain a bit. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Was it a quick deal or one that you had time to think about. When I sold my last 69 Camaro it was a quick deal. The kid that came to look at it told me on the phone I'd like to come see your car and if I like it and we agree on price I will have the cash in my pocket and a dealer plate to drive it away. That was just what I was hoping for and I watched as he drove it away. I've also have been in the same place where I think this is the forever one but you always find something better. Good Luck with the Camaro to me the 69 was the best year.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Was it a quick deal or one that you had time to think about. When I sold my last 69 Camaro it was a quick deal. The kid that came to look at it told me on the phone I'd like to come see your car and if I like it and we agree on price I will have the cash in my pocket and a dealer plate to drive it away. That was just what I was hoping for and I watched as he drove it away. I've also have been in the same place where I think this is the forever one but you always find something better. Good Luck with the Camaro to me the 69 was the best year.
It was a long process. The previous owner of the Camaro restored the car and then found out he had cancer. He told a good friend of mine that he had decided to sell the car. My buddy knew that a 69 Camaro was one of my favorite cars ever so he put the seller and I in contact with each other. That was back in mid-September.

Initially, I actually passed on the car because the seller was asking for serious money for the Camaro and I also had winter plans for my Chevelle. But my buddy kept after me and urged me to see the car. Once I saw the Camaro and looked through the long list of receipts I knew that I couldn't let the Camaro go.

Greg

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 4:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw468 View Post
It was a long process. The previous owner of the Camaro restored the car and then found out he had cancer. He told a good friend of mine that he had decided to sell the car. My buddy knew that a 69 Camaro was one of my favorite cars ever so he put the seller and I in contact with each other. That was back in mid-September.

Initially, I actually passed on the car because the seller was asking for serious money for the Camaro and I also had winter plans for my Chevelle. But my buddy kept after me and urged me to see the car. Once I saw the Camaro and looked through the long list of receipts I knew that I couldn't let the Camaro go.
No, I had read your thread about pulling the trigger on the Camaro and when I saw the picture of your Chevelle in your garage I thought I had just saw it on Ebay. I was referring to you selling the Chevelle as a quick deal knowing you wished you could have kept both.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 4:39 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Personally, I would have kept the Chevelle....but one man's coffee is another man's tea.

However, losing one cool, muscle car and replacing it with another cool, muscle car isn't that bad to go through. You still have a cool ride at the end of the day.

When I had to sell my very first car (my first '69 Malibu) in January of 1994 because I was a broke, college student who needed apartment rent for an internship in Columbus, I was left with a 1982 Regal four door.

That.....was depressing. But it was the right career move. And I got a replacement '69 Malibu in 2009 that will follow me to my grave, Cadillac Ranch style.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 5:00 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Very nice 68!

Freddy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 5:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Fire up that Camaro and run it through the gears and don't look back.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 6:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
No, I had read your thread about pulling the trigger on the Camaro and when I saw the picture of your Chevelle in your garage I thought I had just saw it on Ebay. I was referring to you selling the Chevelle as a quick deal knowing you wished you could have kept both.
OK gotcha.

Selling the Chevelle was excruciating. When I was first offered the Camaro, I tossed the Chevelle up on eBay. I was hoping to sell the Chevelle and then turn that money right into the Camaro. Well the car didn't sell. I dealt with a lot of a$$hats who either picked the car apart or with low-ballers looking to steal the car. Since the Chevelle didn't sell and the Camaro's previous owner wanted some serious cash for the Camaro, I passed on it and focused on a few winter projects on the Chevelle.

This was all with me not ever seeing the Camaro. My good friend knew the seller and had seen it several times and he had raved about the car. Making the decision to pass on a car I had never seen was pretty easy. Especially when I really liked my Chevelle. Then the seller of the Camaro decided that he didn't want to deal with listing the car on eBay or having strangers come to his house to see the car so he contacted my buddy and passed the word on to me that he was lowering his price. His new price was attractive enough for me to actually go see the car in person. Once I actually saw the car, inspected it, and drove it, I knew that I was going to buy the car.

So I listed the Chevelle on eBay and Craigslist and again dealt with a lot of nonsense. I had all kinds of stupid trade offers, lots of super low ball "cash" offers, and a ton of "experts" who wanted to talk cars. The eBay auction again ended up a little short of where I wanted to be on the car. Finally an eBay buyer hit me up and wanted to talk seriously. He ended up combining a trip up from Florida to see family with a visit to see the Chevelle. He came by on Friday the 30th to see the car and we ended up striking a deal. He came back today and picked up the car.

It's a little bittersweet. I really liked my Chevelle and I had big plans for the car. But it was an older restoration that needed some updating. I was facing a situation where eventually I was going to have to put some decent money into the car to get it where I wanted it. The Camaro is at that point now. So while I will miss the Chevelle, I'm excited to move forward with the Camaro.
Steve R, HKalin and pdsniper like this.

Greg

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 6:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Very nice Vert, I think we need a few pics of that Camaro, yea- a pic-fix!

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 7:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Very nice Vert, I think we need a few pics of that Camaro, yea- a pic-fix!
You missed them

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-b...tml?highlight=

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 7:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

You never know.

It may find it's way back to you some day, or you can always look for a better one when the time is right.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

that is a sharp looking car
hated to see my 68vert go down the road also
i even drove it up on the trailer for the guy
i was an investment car for me...

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

Last edited by VinceS427bb; Jan 1st, 17 at 1:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1021 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.