Knuckle Buster Stories.. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Knuckle Buster Stories..

Ever drop a crankshaft on your knee?
Knock your head on a axle and pass out?
Leave a blood trail to the kitchen sink so you could find your way back to your car?
Lets hear your story no matter how painful.

Auto Upholstery Trimmer since 1977
Palo Alto Upholstery 650 326 6414
1967 Chevelle Super Sport 4sp.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
1968 Chevy C20 CST Longbed.
1967 Malibu 396 Powerglide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 1:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Re: Knuckle Buster Stories..

Nothing major but I was under the car, on the creeper, last year loosing the torque converter bolts when when my hand slipped and pretty much punched myself right between the eyes. That hurt like a mother and felt silly afterwards cause i knew better.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 3:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

Thought the starter bolt was started, ended up with a busted tooth when the starter fell and hit me in the mouth... Many a skinned knuckle... By FAR the worst though was I had the hood popped up and was peeling a crappy clear coat off the hood when I leaned into the middle of the car and the hood closed with part of my belly fat (about a six inch wide mark) in the 3/16 gap between the hood and fender. Did I mention I was on the passenger side?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 3:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I have two that I remember quite "fondly"...

First, I was about 17 or 18, and my Chevelle had a slight miss... I decided to check the spark plug wires while it was running... Now perhaps you are thinking the plug wires shocked me, and you'd be right, but even worse was that when I got shocked, I quickly pulled my arm back and my elbow slammed into the hood hinge... Glad it was Winter, so I at least didn't break the skin, but a sore elbow and bruise...

fast forward a few years later, and I had just swapped in a TH350 for the cracked Powerglide from my Chevelle... I was taking a load to the landfill (indoor transfer facility), and even though they didn't accept car parts, I figured I'd be sneaky... I started unloading stuff from the truck bed, and when I saw no one was looking, I reached in an pulled the transmission out... I carried it a few steps, and was about to toss it into the pile when the torque convertor came off the input shaft, and fell 3 feet, landing right on my big toe... And I still had to empty the rest of the truck... Toe was sore and bruised, and I lost the nail that day... Luckily, I was okay after a few days...

Ahh, the stupidity of youth...

I rarely wear gloves when I work on the car, but I now usually slip on heavy leather gloves when I need to break a bolt loose... to avoid the actual knuckle-buster...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 3:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Worst thing I ever did was break a finger when a rotor that wasn't all the way on the hub fell off and hit me while I was messing around with the caliper that was off the car and on the ground. Plenty of busted knuckles, scrapes, scratches and chunks of flesh gouged out of my head after the many times not judging the amount of clearance I had between whatever and my peach. Hate those the most.

TC Member #96
19 Year Team Chevelle Member
1967 El Camino Build blog -

1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq

2009 Supercharged Silverado -

"Hey Butthead, does this Pantera guy ever relax?" - Beavis
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 7:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Big Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
Thought the starter bolt was started, ended up with a busted tooth when the starter fell and hit me in the mouth... Many a skinned knuckle... By FAR the worst though was I had the hood popped up and was peeling a crappy clear coat off the hood when I leaned into the middle of the car and the hood closed with part of my belly fat (about a six inch wide mark) in the 3/16 gap between the hood and fender. Did I mention I was on the passenger side?
LOL! Sorry for your pain but that's a good one.

1968 Impala Turbo 6.0 798 RWHP

72' 5 speed LY6 Malibu-Sold

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 10:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Opened the hood on a '57 Chevy parts car. Weak hood hinges. While looking down at the engine, hood slowly came down about 12 inches. I backed up, slammed back of head on hood latch.

Saw pretty stars for a while.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 10:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

About 15 years ago I was helping a friend with his brakes. I was trying to get the caliper loose and the bolt suddenly gave and I basically punched the rusty wheel well. I was popping chunks of rust out of the wound with a razor blade for about a week afterwards.

Here's the scar today.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/unkinjoe/shares/8UkZ16

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I was removing the leftover rusty quarter panel on my chevelle with an air chisel. Just as I was running down from the quarter window to the rocker at the door jamb the chisel came out, my hand went straight down the freshly cut metal. It cut across the top of my thumb all the way to the bone completely severing the radial nerve. I go into the house blood shooting everywhere all over the wifes off white carpet on my way to the kitchen. I rinse it off and tell her to grab the superglue. She is all pi$$ed off telling me I need to go to the hospital but I held the cut together and made her glue it shut. For once I should have listened to her. that was 3 years ago, to this day one side of my thumb is completely numb and the other side feels like a fresh second degree burn.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

First time I ever cussed in front of my father. 16 years old, tightening an alternator and the wrench slipped off. Didn't even know he was in the garage until I heard him chuckle under his breath.

Second time while adjusting timing on a running car and got zapped by the coil, I learched up so hard I split the back of my head open on the under side of the hood.

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 12:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

I have so many cuts, scrapes and bruises, from 46 years of repairs, there isn't enough bandwidth to share, but the worst cut was when I was helping another mechanic at the truck shop where I worked to remove the radiator and got my little finger caught between the shop floor and the petcock on the bottom of the radiator, still have a scar in my fingerprint today!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 1:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Didn't happen to me but did to my older brother. Was teaching him how to replace the rear brake shoes on his 68 Biscayne. He grabed on the springs that connect to one of the brake shoes and then to the stud below the wheel cylinder. He was using a pair of regular pliers to pull/push the spring twords the stud with both hands. The pliers sliped off the spring and with all the force the pliers when right into his forehead. Could't stop laughing... Bad younger brother... Lol
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

69' SS396 Chevelle L78 396/375hp M-21 Close Ratio Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

About 2 years ago I was using a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder. I was cutting a cross member when the wheel caught and went straight onto my left point finger. I walk in the house calm but poring blood to let the wife know I was gonna head over to the ER. I should her the cut and she freaked out. Ive gotten use to these things by now, so I calmly drive the 20min to the ER and the doctor takes one look at my finger an asked "what the hell did you do?". Turns out I was pretty close to severing my finger.

71 malibu 6spd 6.0 procharged
2011 streetglide stage 1- sold
05 F350 dually- 602 HP 853 ft lbs torque
former KC-10A Chief-"Our Goal Is Your Hole"
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 2:49 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
Holy crap.....

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 16, 2:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Not long ago when I was lying under the car trying to put my rear coil spring back on the perch on the rear end it slipped. The shocks weren't in yet and the rear was just in with the upper and lower control arms attached to it. It didn't need to be compressed much but when it slipped it had enough pressure to drive the side of my thumb totally on the little welded on clips for the brake lines on the rear end housing. It had my hand pinned in between and I had to push back up on the spring to slid my thumb up off the bracket.
64SS427 likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1243 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.