11 year old tires - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

11 year old tires

Maybe this is tire/wheel related, but it is generic and might get more replies here.

Tomorrow is the 11 year anniversary of the tires on my '69 (BFG Radial T/A's). They only have about 15K miles and look great, and the car is always garaged so they stay out of the sun. Some say tires are only good for 6-10 years regardless of miles. Tires aren't cheap, do you personally replace tires after a certain age, even with low miles?

Maybe I should buy some sticky performance tires with a low mileage rating since I know I will age them out before I wear them out. Thoughts?

'69 Butternut Yellow 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 3:08 PM
Team Member
Dave

Re: 11 year old tires

Take this for what its worth, but I would not drive around the block on 11 year old tires. I was in the car dealership service business for 35 years, and I've seen enough things to convince me that 6 years is the outside limit, even under the best of circumstances. Some people say that 5-ish years is a contrivance of the tire makers to sell more tires, but my experiences tell me differently. If it was just you and your car that suffered, I'd have no dog in the hunt, but someone elses old tire blowing could hurt my family as well if they happened to be near us when it went.
GuysMonteSS likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I think the rear tires on my el camino was bought about 12-13 years ago. They get swapped from the el camino chevelle and camaro. All these these are local in town cars so I dont worry too much about it. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you are concerned enough to post the question them its time to change them. You can't put a price on piece of mind.

Steve R
b&b's69 likes this.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 3:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I think a lot depends how the tires are stored. 11 year old tires sitting in the mud and sun will not be as good as one's sitting on their side in the basement at room temperature.

Also it would depend how you drive them. I wouldn't be doing road trips, 100+ mph blasts, and burnouts with uncertain tires.

I personally think that the tires made for 15s (BFG, M/T, etc) should be of a softer compound. I don't need or want a tire that will last 30,000 miles on my Chevelle. I'll take a tire that only lasts 15,000 miles if it has a lot more traction.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 5:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

After 10 years i usually relegate them to rollers and/or spares. I currently have a set of wheels and tires purchased new 11 years ago. Tires are cracking so they are rollers only for now. Even at ten year intervals it does get expensive for multiple vehicles.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 5:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I have had tires that the sidewall just started to leak that were at the 10yr mark and tires that were 25+ years that still had no leak. All of these tires I consider "Roller's" as in the allow me to move the vehicle......nothing more. I had an experience a few years ago with a car my Wife was using to travel to her mothers house. It was a 91 Subaru Station Wagon. We drove it 200 miles each way to take care of the Estate/Trust situation that involved selling the house. During one of the trips we had a blow out on the road. Little did we know the spare was the original 1991 Yokohama tire. 22years old. It had air in it and was fine. Of course we drove home very carefully and kept the speed down, but it was like a brand new tire, never saw the light of day. When we were done it went back into the spare well and that was the last we saw of it. I think if the tires are in good shape at 6 years.... I might push it if the car/truck never saw any freeway speed, but anything over say 45...... that's a real reach.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 6:07 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I just replaced my 13 yr old BFG Radial TA's, which were still in great shape with 1/4" of tread left and no checking, etc., but I just didn't trust them anymore. Some sizes are hard to find. FWIW P225 70R 14 are out of stock with no ETA at Discount Tire, Summit, Jegs, Coker, to name a few. I found mine at Buy Tires and Wheels Online | TireBuyer.com. Best price of anyone and free shipping. They had just a few sets left in my size.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

I wouldn't think twice but everyone has their comfort zone. As was said earlier, what is piece of mind worth?

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 7:02 PM
Team Member

Thanks for posting, really looking for the responses you get. I have never given it a thought till now but I am riding on T/A's probably 15 years old (maybe more)
They probably only have 8000 miles or less on them because the car doesnt get a lot of use. are in pristine condition, no cracks, no leaks, always garaged. But now you have me wondering.
Maybe its a good excuse to finally move from 14 to 15 inch wheels like has been the plan for awhile. I can maybe sell my wife that its a safety issue
LOL
dunc

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 7:20 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I would worry more about the actual condition than the age. Are they dried out and hard? Is there cracking?

A 3 year old tire out in the desert sun everyday could be bad, a 20 year old tire stored in a garage with no light could be good.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 7:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

without reading any of the posts, tire manufacturers recommend 5 years on today's tires, those 11 year old tires are fit for display only!!!!
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 8:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Ok, my turn.
My tires....
1 - always stored in garage. Saw anywhere from. 20 to 130 degrees over the past 15 years.
2- approximately 30 % time , raised on jack stands.
3- had one valve stem blow out...sounded like a 22 going off.
4- no cracks , just used in the garage as rollers. ..

I took the rear rallys off as they were 8" wide rims, got the rim's blasted and painted, then mounted.
A day later, while the jack stands were holding up the back axle, both front tires exploded and about 18 inches of cord ejected...about 4 hours from the first tire exploding. ..

I had contemplated driving the mile to disrcount to have the tires put on..someone at discount was looking at the other old tires as I was getting new ones mounted and asked if he could have them, told him about the other 2 and suggested he get new ones..

also many moons ago, bought 2 used ones as I didn't have the money..1 tire, cord shifted..that cured me of that habit..

remember re treads? Get a brand new re tread for 20 bucks..until you see one un tread itself in your wheel well...

those were the days..
shovelrick likes this.

I'm the Haught guy.......
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Chevelle...
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

Whatever doesn't kill me, Better RUN!!
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 8:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Remember when we ran tires 20 years old or more without giving it a second thought? Only recently has this become an issue. I'm chalking it up to new rubber being garbage just like everything else we buy. Windshield wipers don't even last a friggin year!
I still run my Indy Profiles and don't honestly give it a second thought due to the rubber being from a different era when are stuff didn't disintegrate before our eyes.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 8:17 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Michelins I had that looked great had a belt break inside the tire once on the freeway. Didn't blow out luckily. These were ~12 years old plus. Now I flip them ~10 years or so.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

Founding member of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1174 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.