11 year old tires - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 8:38 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 11 year old tires

Keep this in mind when considering running old tires due to the cost, new tires are way cheaper than paint and body work. Circumstances of the failure may also injure or kill you or someone else, that could cost your family everything you own. Spend the money on new tires, $600 - $1000 investment isn't worth the risk.
fr8dog likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 9:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Remember when we ran tires 20 years old or more without giving it a second thought? Only recently has this become an issue. I'm chalking it up to new rubber being garbage just like everything else we buy. Windshield wipers don't even last a friggin year!
I still run my Indy Profiles and don't honestly give it a second thought due to the rubber being from a different era when are stuff didn't disintegrate before our eyes.
Funny how you talk about Wipers. Over in Asia they put the wipers out away from the windshield during the day. They say the wipers last longer that way..

In Mother Russia, they remove their wipers every day and reinstall them when they get off work to drive home.... Seems they "Dissappear" .. Rat bastads...

I'm the Haught guy.......
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Chevelle...
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

Whatever doesn't kill me, Better RUN!!
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Ugh, you really hit the nail on the head. I just took my rear tires to get the balance checked. Shop called back 3 hours later to tell me they were manufactured in 2001 and they won't touch anything older than 5 years. Man I was pissed. They might have 10k on them, garaged all the time, drive alot in summer. They look like brand new all around.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

really good looking old front runner
cost me about $1000
it popped at high speed and was lucky not to crash
ruined many parts
fender, bumper, rim, wiring harness, etc....

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Garage

We have 3 daily drivers and 2 hot rods all get new tires by time interval more so than tread wear. Same thing for my car hauler, new tires every 2-3 years. On my 4th set, had the trailer for 9 years.

Had this happen once and do not want to experience it again. Ripped the fender up but fortunately no damage to the Chevelle that was on it. Tread is still real good.

63 Nova wagon

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 11:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Again, these are all new tire delams and all on radial tires. You won't see this on old bias plys. Gives me hope.
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 16, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Garage

Why would someone invest 10's of thousands of dollars into a car and then risk it all to save a few hundred...to me it does not make sense. Suspension upgrades for better handling, bigger brakes for better stopping and then put it all on a set of tires that could fail?
GuysMonteSS likes this.

63 Nova wagon

post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 12:39 AM
Tech Team
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
We have 3 daily drivers and 2 hot rods all get new tires by time interval more so than tread wear. Same thing for my car hauler, new tires every 2-3 years. On my 4th set, had the trailer for 9 years.

Had this happen once and do not want to experience it again. Ripped the fender up but fortunately no damage to the Chevelle that was on it. Tread is still real good.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Ive' seen this on brand new tires. Was it age, something that hit it on the road and damaged it, or just a defect? I guess every thing has a shelf life. Better to be safe than sorry. Got me thinking about the T/A's that have been on my Camaro since 1995. Front ones look like new, back ones not so much . Got a set of MT street radials waiting to be installed.

Brent
5.3/4L60 '70 Chevelle $$ Clone Restomod
355/T350 '81 Camaro Z28 old school
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 2:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Keep this in mind when considering running old tires due to the cost, new tires are way cheaper than paint and body work. Circumstances of the failure may also injure or kill you or someone else, that could cost your family everything you own. Spend the money on new tires, $600 - $1000 investment isn't worth the risk.
Sure,

But along those lines, any new car, perhaps a V6 Camry, will be safer, and probably cheaper and quicker than an old Chevelle...

Truthfully, I'd really like to know the reasoning. I have had a few people tell be its because the "rubber" has changed, with more "polymers", etc, that break down regardless of UV/sunlight exposure.

What really irks me, is that I had to go to 5 different tire shops before I found one willing to replace a valve stem on a set of rollers... They weren't even balanced... because of the age, most shops didn't want the liability...

Now I have the dilemma... The tires are "old", but great tread. But the wheels are thrashed, so I don't want to buy new tires for those rims, but then if I buy new rims too, that's $$$...

Funny, I just sold a set of tires; 12 and 14 years old. The buyer saw the date and mentioned that the tires go bad and they were too old. I was asking $135 for the set of 4 (275/40/17) and I figured he wasn't going to buy them.. Then the guy ended up offering me $100... Sold! I was going to dispose of them in the trash (my city will take up to 5 tires for free), but I decided to throw them up on Craigslist instead... glad I did.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I agree with Philip. I keep good tires on my Chevelle, I keep the old take offs for rollers. I have a set of rollers on my 56 210, that's in the process of getting back on the road. One of them is cracked and loosing air slowly, but let me see the car's stance with the tires and wheels. Those tires have been in the garage for 4-5 years, never in the sun. When the 56 is ready to hit the road, it'll be trailered to the tire shop for new tires. The guys at the tire shop know me, and will mount any tire on any wheel for me, because they know what I'm doing, and that they'll be mounting new ones before I drive the car farther than the trailer. They will also replace valve stems without a question. I think that comes from doing business with the same store for over 20 years.

My car trailer sits out in the sun all year long. The tires are now 2 years old. My wife says I have to buy new ones before I head over to the Pomona Swap Meet in October. She was with me when a 2 year old tire on the trailer blew out on the Interstate. Scared the crap out of her.

I would hate to try and see how long I can get out of a tire that looks good, and have it take the quarter panel off my Chevelle, or put me in the ditch.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

I have a friend that has 4 tires for sale,they are a size which I don't think is available anymore,I would like to have them on my 70,as I like the original wheel look.They are BFG Radials 235-70R14(G-70 14).These tires are new,never mounted,but they are 15 years old.I know my friend well,they have been kept in his dark basement.Wonder what peoples opinions are on them.
Also,I have BFG Radials on my 70 now,225-70R14,they are 15 years old also.Not a lot of use over the years,plenty of tread,always in the garage,still look good.Guess I should think about getting rid of them.

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, [email protected] [email protected]

Elky at Cecil

Chevelle Resto Pics
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 2:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

I would think as long as they stayed out of the sun, etc. they should still be ok.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 5:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Same thing Doug, display only, if you can find a shop to mount and balance them!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 7:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
I would think as long as they stayed out of the sun, etc. they should still be ok.
Yeah,I hope so as I really like the size as they sit up just a little more than the 225's.They still have the stickers on them,we had to dig them out of the basement where they been residing all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Same thing Doug, display only, if you can find a shop to mount and balance them!
No problem Leo,have a little farm garage up the street,he'll mount anything for me.Half his tire work,esp. 14's,15's,is farmers bringing in implement tires that have 40 year old tires on them,taking them off and putting a 30 year old tire on.
I can mount them by hand myself if I'm bored.Used to have a big Coates tire changing machine in my shop,but it didn't get used for years at a time.Got rid of it,cause it took up so much room.

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, [email protected] [email protected]

Elky at Cecil

Chevelle Resto Pics
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 16, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Farm tires are apples to oranges to street tires, JMHO, Good luck!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1174 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.