EBAY Experience, Warning to all sellers - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

EBAY Experience, Warning to all sellers

I'd like to warn anyone that sells on Ebay of a recent change that makes selling valuable stuff on ebay a very bad idea.

I sold a camera to someone in California (feedback rating 8) that turned out to be a real nightmare. He claimed that it was broken (it wasn't) and opened a case in eBay for a return. As I knew it wasn't broken, I refused the return. Ebay deducted the money from my Paypal account after he "returned" the item to me.

The only problem with this is that he sent me a box with a rock in it. I contacted eBay and they tell me that they don't get involved in defective returns. Huh? So basically, I'm out the money to ship the item both ways, the cost of the item, and the eBay and Paypal Fees, which they don't refund. The best part is, they restricted my account because of the "defect".

I used to be a big proponent of selling on ebay, but now I'm done. I'd rather donate stuff for the tax write off than deal with them. The way it is set up now ebay will automatically refund the seller's money if they claim they didn't get it even if you have tracking info or if they claim it is not as described. Any time you sell something on ebay you are taking a very real risk that you are going to be robbed, and you will have no protection and no recourse.

Just letting the community know that they have made this their policy, as we all know chevelle parts can end up being a little pricey at times
langss and hydro462 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Re: EBAY Experience, Warning to all sellers

That's why I stopped selling/buying on eBay five years ago; I could see the writing on the wall.... CL is no better so one just has to take chances on for sale signs or like you said donate the item and take the write off.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 1:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

never bought or sold anything on ebay, it always seemed like too much of a hassle to me.

bought and sold some stuff on CL, and can't say that i've ever really had a bad experience other than people not showing up from time to time.

right now, i like using facebook groups for buying and selling. it's a public forum where people are active a lot, so it's really easy to figure out who you should and should not deal with and call out the flakes in a very public way when a deal goes bad.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 1:08 PM
Team Member
Rick

Garage

I agree that Ebay is too quick to side with the buyer at times, but how can you know for sure that the lens/range finder wasn't broken in shipping?

69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed, Post Sedan, Black W/black vinyl bench seat. (Under restoration)
69 Chevelle SS396 L78 4-speed Post Sedan, Silver, black vinyl bench seat. Berger car
70 Chevelle SS454 LS6, M22, 4.10, Forest Green, Green buckets. (Nearing completion)
69 Chevelle SS 396 L35 Post Sedan, Silver, Blue bench, 4-spd (Sold)
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 1:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

not agreeing with ebay here but if you accept returns you get a much better deal.

ROB

69 El Camino

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
not agreeing with ebay here but if you accept returns you get a much better deal.
It's listed as no returns because I'm trying to get rid of stuff and I don't want it back. Thats why it's specifically stated in the listing.. If you don't agree, don't buy it.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 3:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RixLS6 View Post
I agree that Ebay is too quick to side with the buyer at times, but how can you know for sure that the lens/range finder wasn't broken in shipping?
I know it wasn't broken in shipment because I told him to get me a quote for the repair and he said he didn't want to get it repaired. I told him I needed a written estimate for a pair to submit the claim (it was insured) and he refused saying "The guy at the camera shop says it will be about $25 for repair that's all I'm going to say and I want to return it."

Pretty clear what his plan was. Ebay now ALWAYS sides with the buyer. It's an automated system. They told me that when I called.

Last edited by lrdvdr41; Jun 8th, 16 at 3:36 PM. Reason: added to it
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 4:30 PM
Tech Team
Bart

I dont sell on ebay because they take such a large chunk out of the final sale amount - 10%. Then if you use PayPal they also take a chunk. My last $440 sales netted me a little more than $350. Thanks for the service? Or no thanks.
lrdvdr41 likes this.

1969 Chevelle Malibu 396BB, DNE2 4speed (do not want - would sell), 12 Bolt, 18x9.5 Snettertons with 245/40 and 285/35s Conti3s.
My Build thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanted - 2" Cowl Hood. Would trade my 4".
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 4:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ebay sux.
I sold a grand total of 6 things on ebay and got screwed on 2 of them for about $100. At the time, the "buyers"/scammers would pay up thru paypal and then wait until you sent them a tracking number. Then they'd cancel the transaction and claim they never rec'd the item. Both times, Paypal would then PULL the already deposited funds from my account. Ebay blamed paypal, paypal blamed ebay and nothing got done. I got to explain to my 10 year old daughter why/how some woman stole her doll.

That was it for me.

I still buy (rarely) because it's about the only place to find weird parts for a 77 Malibu, but they are usually waaaay over priced because the sellers know it.

I really miss the days when ebay was a giant garage sale, and not the gigantic retail peddler it is now. They ran off most of the honest little guys with crap like this.

%#@**#$
lrdvdr41 likes this.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3; Jun 8th, 16 at 7:10 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 5:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Thanks for posting this. I was just about to list my iphone 6. No way I am doing that now.

I would be so livid if someone shipped me back a rock. Too bad you can't send someone to their house to collect for you.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 6:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

OP...... Thank You very much for posting this. Since I have retired I was going to start selling my tools.....I will find another way....Thank You Again.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 7:57 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I would have demanded (and paid for) that the "defective" camera be packaged and then shipped INSURED directly from a UPS/FedEx store.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 9:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Location: NSB Or Daytona Beach Shark Bite Capitol of the World

Time to go to the buyers house with the rock he shipped to you and bash his face inside out then shove it down his throat..............

I started with Nothing and still have All of Nothing!

TC # 2747 ACES # 7166
2009 AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
2009 AACA National Senior Award
ACES Chevellabration Top 3
2010 AACA First Place Grand National Award

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 9:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage

state the buyers eBay name so I can block them.

I have had a good experience selling on eBay. Buying is a pain. So much clutter and Chinese junk to wade through.

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 16, 9:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

While I certainly agree with your complaint, ebay really can't get involved in every case with the volume they receive. Yes, it sucks, but it is what it is.
The proper procedure in this case is to open a claim yourself with the shipper. The shipper would have picked up the item and inspected it and the packaging to discern who's at fault. I'm not sure just how each shipper is equipped to handle these cases but it's a whole lot safer for the seller/shipper than trusting a suspect buyer.
I sell on ebay quite a bit and have had 2 returns in 200 or so sales. 1 was indeed a scammer and he got a free set of holley float bowls after he substituted his junk for mine in the return.
I also purchased a recent nailhead dual quad setup and was packaged by a 2 year old and suffered damage to the point I didn't want it. Seller was very short and didn't want to help me out in any way. I repackaged the item for a UPS pickup by their claims dept. I took pictures before I opened the box, due to obvious damage, and took plenty of pics of the damage itself. It was an easy case but the seller was standing firm that he wasn't responsible. I left him neg. feedback after the mess and he in turn asked for me to remove it......not on your life! He sent numerous messages attacking me from every angle like, again, a two year old.
So you see, it goes both ways. We just have to learn from it and consider it a slight gamble but hope that human decency will prevail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1161 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.