car valuation websites - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 3:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
car valuation websites

Anyone have any suggestions for decent valuation websites?

My cousin past away, and I am trying to help the family get a good idea of what to ask.

The deceased gave his family price ranges, but looking at Hagerty and google auction results, his price range seems really high...

He was also on the board for some National clubs, but his daughter thinks the members there are low-balling her on the value (based mostly on what her dad told her...

I am trying to compile a list of values/sources to help them out...

Also,

One of the cars is a 31,000 mile survivor in excellent condition ( #2 based on Hagerty). How should we value that "original", as I know its worth more than a restored car in comparible condition? Perhaps bump it to #1 (Concours) values? Or ???

BTW, the cars aren't Chevelle or even GM. 1964 Chrysler 300 (non-letter) "hot rod", 1965 Chrysler 300L and a 1964 Imperial Crown Coupe ( the survivor). All three are 2-door hardtops...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 4:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Re: car valuation websites

What happened to the other thread you posted about this, Tony?

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 6:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

My buddy is a dealer and says e-Bay is the best place to see what people are paying.. Asking and getting are two different things..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 16, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
My buddy is a dealer and says e-Bay is the best place to see what people are paying.. Asking and getting are two different things..
x2. Not perfect, but a pretty good gauge to see what they are selling for.

I've used ebay "sold" prices and Hagerty as a gauge and they usually seem pretty close to what i ended up getting.

Ebay asking prices are also a pretty good window on seeing what people think a a car is worth.
It's comical sometimes.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 1:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
What happened to the other thread you posted about this, Tony?
I couldn't find it last night (found it tonight), but it seemed to have a lot more to do with the selling part, than the "setting the price" part...

The daughter didn't show me the deceased's price ranges (I didn't ask to see them), and she could remember exactly (we were down at the shop/car barn, and the other paperwork was up at the house)...

At this ppint, I think they are well overpriced, and they are thinking of the sale the wrong way... But they have no clue what to do...

They want to put 2 cars for sale right away, but not all three because they don't want to look desperate. 2 or 3, does it matter?

One of his friends from the 300 club apparently gave them a rough appraisal, based on other sales... $13k-$19k value, and apparently that guy is interested (but no offer). The dead cousin had a price range of $25-$35k... I was telling her she could ask the guy if he was really interested, and give him a price (like $25k, low end of her dad's value). Then see if he counters, or scoffs at the price... But she seemed more worried about getting near the range her dad provided...

I told he now is the time to sell, while the cars are relatively clean, running well, and its Spring/early Summer... Seemed to mostly fall on deaf ears...

There is alos a Mopar show in June, about 30 miles from their home... Their dad won numerous awards there, fairly recently... But sounds like they don't want to be bothered...

So right now I just want to grab some valuations off of the internet (Hagerty, auction results, checked Hemmings, etc), just to give her something to think about...
davewho1 likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 8:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I was surprised to see some of those Imperials go for big bucks but they have a small following.. Not too many people remember the Beverly Hill Billy's today.. lol....

I put my 64 Bonneville up for sale 5 years ago for 18, I ended up getting 7 for it... 6 months prier I could of got 9 but like a dummy, I had 10 in my mind.. Sieze the moment, this is ALL about feelings and emotions...

If you find somebody who wants them, work with them fast while the sale if fresh because it will get old fast.. You don't want to be stuck with them either..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
If you find somebody who wants them, work with them fast while the sale if fresh because it will get old fast.. You don't want to be stuck with them either..
I was telling them to get them for sale ASAP... They are still relatively clean and detailed, and its still Spring... By Late Summer/fall, its going to be more difficult...

I have this vision in my mind, that the cars will be sitting 2 years from now, dusty, mice inside, tires flat, etc, all because they wanted too much...

But relatively few sales, and difficult to tell how comparable those were... An auction in early May 2016 had a similar car selling for $12,500 ( nice, but limited description and only a few pictures, nothing about being "original"... They think there's is worth $40-$50k...

I think they are seeing $$$-signs... Ironic, they want top-dollar (or well-above), but don't want to be hassled...

They aren't into cars, and these have no sentimental value to them...

I do not want to set any prices for them, but just to give them some information to decide for themselves... I am helping to write a few ads, since I am more familiar with what info car-guys will probably be looking for...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 16, 3:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

A lot of folks (and especially women??) that don't know anything about cars think the cars are valuable just because they are old.
My G-pa had a mid sixties Chrysler 300 that was in tip top condition. It was a really well maintained, one owner car.

But it was a Chrysler.

After he passed away, my aunt was convinced she was sitting on a gold mine. Long story short, after months of not listening to anybody and shooting her big mouth off, the car was auctioned of for a fraction of what she thought it was worth.
She still complains that she got cheated and is still mad at some of the family over it.

It's none of my business, but you are very wise to stay as far out of it as you can while still being helpful. Folks get very emotional (and sometimes greedy) handling estate stuff, then hold big grudges against people that were just trying to help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Can you get them to Hot August Nights here in Reno? They would sell fast and for good money here!

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 16, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
Can you get them to Hot August Nights here in Reno? They would sell fast and for good money here!
Great suggestion...

I will be there...

But somehow I don't think they are going to want to spend the $195 for show registration, plus rooms, expenses, etc...

Hmm, I am riding up with a few buddies, and I could offer to drive it up and back for them... Of course, not sure I want the liability of something going wrong while its with me...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

You could start with just one on a trailer and see how it goes, but I understand about not wanting the liability....

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1207 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.