Beware of Amazon! - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 6:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Beware of Amazon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
Hey Tony thanks for the tip!! I found a bottle at Wal-Mart it's a lot better than vinaigrette and it has a lot less calories than 1000 island. Now if I can find it more than just the one time; knowing my luck I'll never find another bottle.
That's what we have been finding... When we do find it, there are only a few bottles on the shelf, but all the other varieties are well stocked... My wife was going shopping today, and no doubt she will buy all she finds...

My daughters and I are addicted... the wife, not as much...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 6:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

I had my credit card hacked after using Amazon a few years ago. I won't go there anymore.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 7:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Shady sellers are everywhere. You are right, read all ads, know what you are purchasing.

Have you brought this to amazons attention? It would be interesting to see if they tolerate this from vendors using their platform.

Steve R
What's shady? People can ask whatever they chose too. If you look at the completed sold auctions on ebay you'd be surprised at what people pay for stuff. Advertised price is not value price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpp View Post
there is no problem.

its called due dilligence.

sort of like walking into a car dealer and paying what they are ASKING. no one would do that, same as NO ONE should be buying anything online without checking the price.

especially when its just a few keystrokes away.

and to complete my thoughts of this thread......

AMAZON IS A GREAT RESOURCE for car peeps.

I recently bought Proform parts on Amazon
cheaper than the Proform site.
free shipping with Prime.
sold by Proform so Zack gets the coin.

how about VR1 oil.
local auto parts never have it.
their price is like 10 a qt.

amazon delivers it for the best price in 2 days for free.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It says $38.80 for one 16oz bottle ($2.43/OZ)
We have that dressing here, I'll buy it and post it for $100 bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
Amazon is like ebay IMHO; there are good and bad sellers so it doesn't surprise me. My wife uses it all the time and pays for prime; she loves it and most of the time you get what you ordered. Just one time recently we had an issue, we bought a dark hot chocolate for the K cup machine that cannot be found locally, and when it arrived it was already two months out of date. She called Amazon and they refunded her money and gave her a coupon for 10% off her next purchase. It was a hassle but it was made right by them; the seller never said anything but Amazon took care of it.
What's bad about asking a price for something you're selling. If you're dumb enough to buy it, it's your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
So they dropped the price $10... it was $48.80 ($3.05/oz)... Still nearly $40 for a bottle...

A different seller emailed and said they updated their add to read "6 bottles"... I thought it was this seller, but it wasn't...

The "seller" name is different, but the seller's links go back to the other add (now $38.80, and as Dean pointed out, for 1 bottle).
Oh well...who's buying salad dressing for $38?

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 16, 10:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

You lost me Shane!!! My response had nothing to do with price it was just a statement saying they sent out of date stock, but Amazon made it good and we got a refund, etc.... So I guess it's my fault it the stock they sent was out of date and when did I say anything about price?..... AL righty then....
Steve R likes this.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 16, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
What's shady? People can ask whatever they chose too.
Shady (Webster's dictionary):3) of darkness, secrecy or concealment... 4) of questionable character or honesty.

"Shady" in this case implies an intent to hide the true details, often in plain site. Shady doesn't imply anything illegal, but does imply the intent to get over on someone by being purposely vague... The seller was asked to clarify the quantity. They changed the price, but still did not note the quantity. They actually made some reference that this was now "6-16 oz bottles", but they noted that under a different sellers name (but their links went to the same ad).

Businesses are in business to make money. NO legitimate business would charge 8X the going rate unless they were hiding something, trying to fool the customers... And by "legitimate" I mean some company that is trying to be competitive in the market, and not just try to capitalize on misinformation (although I am pretty sure that is their business plan here)... ANY intelligent person or business owner would know that they would never sell a single bottle unless they fooled someone... That's "shady"...

Now it may be different if the product was discontinued, and they had the last few bottles available...

No intelligent person could think that 8X the going rate was reasonable... And after contact and a rewriting of the ad, they still do not directly say the quantity of bottles, while most other companies do...

Nothing EVER said it was illegal, or against the rules...

I completely agree, its "buyer beware", "do you due diligence"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead
We have that dressing here, I'll buy it and post it for $100 bottle.
Nice to know what kind of people your are really dealing with on-line... I like to think most of us at TC are great people to deal with, but I guess even some TC members, its more about making money... Kind of like those used-car salesmen get upset when you point out their tactics... I guess we struck a nerve with some...

Yes, a buyer should check (which is what I did), but I know I feel its my duty as a member of a community, to help educate others in that community to be aware of these tactics.

Let me guess, you are a used car dealer and/or have used similar tactics in your dealings... Its all about the money with some people Nice I'd guess you don't believe in Karma...

How about all the threads on this site about cars for sale from dealers, Ebay or Craigslist? Why should any of us care if someone buys a $50 bottle of salad dressing or buys a Chevelle for thousands over the market value?

The intent of my original post was just to remind fellow TC members to be diligent. I am sure I have seen this over-pricing before, but this ad was egregious, and really caught my attention.

Nothing about not using Amazon, I still use it, just to be aware...
Steve R and rak1 like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Last edited by 1966_L78; May 26th, 16 at 1:56 PM.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 16, 3:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Oh well...who's buying salad dressing for $38?
This guy paid $33.00??
And they only have 5 left in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=...b=&vasStoreID=

"I do not feel the item was as described, they charged me $33 (including shipping) for 1 bottle of salad dressing!! Really??"
By Stephen F. on May 19, 2016.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 16, 7:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Shady (Webster's dictionary):3) of darkness, secrecy or concealment... 4) of questionable character or honesty.

"Shady" in this case implies an intent to hide the true details, often in plain site. Shady doesn't imply anything illegal, but does imply the intent to get over on someone by being purposely vague... The seller was asked to clarify the quantity. They changed the price, but still did not note the quantity. They actually made some reference that this was now "6-16 oz bottles", but they noted that under a different sellers name (but their links went to the same ad).

Businesses are in business to make money. NO legitimate business would charge 8X the going rate unless they were hiding something, trying to fool the customers... And by "legitimate" I mean some company that is trying to be competitive in the market, and not just try to capitalize on misinformation (although I am pretty sure that is their business plan here)... ANY intelligent person or business owner would know that they would never sell a single bottle unless they fooled someone... That's "shady"...

Now it may be different if the product was discontinued, and they had the last few bottles available...

No intelligent person could think that 8X the going rate was reasonable... And after contact and a rewriting of the ad, they still do not directly say the quantity of bottles, while most other companies do...

Nothing EVER said it was illegal, or against the rules...

I completely agree, its "buyer beware", "do you due diligence"...

Nice to know what kind of people your are really dealing with on-line... I like to think most of us at TC are great people to deal with, but I guess even some TC members, its more about making money... Kind of like those used-car salesmen get upset when you point out their tactics... I guess we struck a nerve with some...

Yes, a buyer should check (which is what I did), but I know I feel its my duty as a member of a community, to help educate others in that community to be aware of these tactics.

Let me guess, you are a used car dealer and/or have used similar tactics in your dealings... Its all about the money with some people Nice I'd guess you don't believe in Karma...

How about all the threads on this site about cars for sale from dealers, Ebay or Craigslist? Why should any of us care if someone buys a $50 bottle of salad dressing or buys a Chevelle for thousands over the market value?

The intent of my original post was just to remind fellow TC members to be diligent. I am sure I have seen this over-pricing before, but this ad was egregious, and really caught my attention.

Nothing about not using Amazon, I still use it, just to be aware...

This is capitalism, its how it works. People make the going rate, and now with the internet age, many people are starting businesses and upping the going rate because people pay that...just like the post spinshop posted. Someone bought a bottle for $33. See.
I deal with people all the time that up their price when my wife buys from them, they look on ebay, see what some idiot posted an item for and then they think its worth that.
When you look on these sites, look to see what things go for and compare that to what it SOLD for. Two different things totally.
Still its not shady.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 16, 7:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinshop View Post
This guy paid $33.00??
And they only have 5 left in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=...b=&vasStoreID=

"I do not feel the item was as described, they charged me $33 (including shipping) for 1 bottle of salad dressing!! Really??"
By Stephen F. on May 19, 2016.
That would be the guy who buys an SS clone based on appearance only for $30K and then complain when he finds out.

BUYER BEWARE EVERYWHERE.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1237 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.