Push mowers? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 7:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: Push mowers?

I had, read HAD been a big fan of Toro. Last one I had lasted 6 years and when it needed replacing, I got another Toro! Darn thing would not start and yes it had the proper amount of 710 fluid.
Took it back after I tried customer service, non existent service I might add.
Got another Toro, and it didn't run either. I got smart, said "what about these new returned mowers"?
Was told these were returns and they didn't see anything wrong with them, so I said if it starts, I will buy it!
3 tested, not one started. Comon, these Kommiefornia compliant carbs are so full poop!

I went back in and sigh, bought a honda. It's been outside for 4 years, with a cap on the engine of course, and starts 1st or second time e everytime.
Now hating won't make it quit, it's a good engine, less problems than any B&B or any other brand.

That's about it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the Haught guy.......
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Chevelle...
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

Whatever doesn't kill me, Better RUN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 8:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Find a used John Deere 14SB or JX75, with maintenance will last the rest of your life.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old May 15th, 16, 11:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

Bought a Honda mower in 2006. I change the oil, spark plug, and air filter each Spring. No issues thus far. Down to only mowing 800 sq. ft with it. Bought a manual push reel mower for backyard (Bermuda). I dig it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 6:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Plus you will be reducing your carbon foot print.
Not when you factor in all the extra "emissions" of the operator pushing it back up the hill. Those reel mowers do cut nice, but whoever posted about hitting dog doo doo with them was spot on.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 6:49 AM
BTK
Tech Team
billy the kid..

toro personal pace with aluminum deck, honda engine.....perfect combo
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 7:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Year five of my Husquvarna self propelled and zero issues. Always run REC90 in it. I wore the blade out so I swapped it. Think high humidity. The old Craftsman losts its deck after two years.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 7:27 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I've gone through a few in the last decade.. a craftsman hand me down, a yard machine's self propelled (both briggs engines), then a troy bilt with a honda motor that was a awesome little machine, but my wife wanted a propelled (3 acres of grass to cut, she push mows the front, i use my old ariens GT-17 tractor for the rest). Bought her father a propelled troy bilt with the honda engine three years ago, and he loves that, however the levers for the drive worry me as they're plastic. I picked up a new Husqvarna self propelled from lowes on sale a few years ago, and that little machine is pretty awesome. Both the troy bilt and the Husqvarna both have the hose attachment for cleaning under the deck too. Good machines, can't say a bad thing about the Husqvarna at all.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 7:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenymayor View Post
Not when you factor in all the extra "emissions" of the operator pushing it back up the hill. Those reel mowers do cut nice, but whoever posted about hitting dog doo doo with them was spot on.
Didn't they make gas powered reel mowers? Cut extremely nice, but about as dangerous as you can make a mechanical device.
shovelrick likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Bought a Honda mower in 2006. I change the oil, spark plug, and air filter each Spring. No issues thus far. Down to only mowing 800 sq. ft with it. Bought a manual push reel mower for backyard (Bermuda). I dig it.

Any good lawn mower engine can easily match that record, and for a lot less money than a Honda engine. My current mower has a Briggs and Stratton engine that I bought in 2004. So far, it has had yearly oil changes, and only 1 spark plug change in 12 years. I clean the filter once every couple of years, but have never replaced it.
And, all that for about 1/2 the cost of a Honda.

My previous mower also had a Briggs and Stratton engine. It lasted 20 years and used up 3 spark plugs and one air filter in those 20 years.

My experience with Honda engines has been limited, but it hasn't been good. For me, they never matched the performance and durability of a Briggs and Stratton or a Techumseh engine.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

JOHN DEERE (American Made).

Buy American - keep jobs here.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 11:57 AM
Tech Team

I see John Deere push mowers at Home Depot. Are they a good choice or are they made to low(er) HD specs?

69 RS camaro, 410, M22 Autogear, 4-speed , 8 pt rollbar - SOLD
68 camaro - SOLD
67 Bel Air - perfect floors, rockers, trunk. Here we go again!
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodney

I have a Snapper walk behind that is around 15 years old and YES.... from the Snapper web site:

Where are Snapper mowers made?

Wondering if Snappers lawn equipment and outdoor power products are made in the USA? The Snapper brand takes pride in manufacturing lawn mowers, tractors, zero turn mowers and outdoor power products in America. Snapper mowers are made in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Munnsville, New York, and Tupelo, Mississippi.

As a part of the Briggs & Stratton corporation, Snapper headquarters is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The American company provides more than 3,000 American jobs, assembling Briggs engines in plants throughout the United States.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I just bought a Troy-built a few weeks ago... Self-propelled. Nothing too fancy...

IIRC, its a 21" deck. Cost about $190 (at Lowes)...

I had a 11+ year-old Craftsman with a Briggs and stratton engine... Rebuilt the carb once is 10 years, and it was going to need a rebuild again. I was having problems with the thing. This Spring, it wouldn't stay running. I'd hit the priming bulb, and she'd fire right up, but die after 3-4 seconds...

Pulled the air cleaner, and I could see the governor linkage moving... With the air cleaner off, I could see full throttle, but even manually manipulating the throttle, I couldn't keep it running (vacuum leak maybe?)...

I borrowed my neighbors for a few weekends... Then I went to start mine one day with the air filter off, and it almost wouldn't turn over. Finally freed up and then lots of liquid came out of the breather tube...

I think the fuel must have flooded the engine, and ended up in the crankcase...

Anyway, I finally realized I wanted to focus time on other projects (like my El Camino), and since the old Craftsman was deteriorated I didn't think it was worth the time and money to trouble shoot any further... The wheels are bald, the cables are stretched beyond adjustment, deck rusting, plastic all broken...

So I broke down and bought the new one... I decided to be lazy and got the self-propelled model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haughty
...not one started. Comon, these Kommiefornia compliant carbs are so full poop!
The new one starts on the first pull, no choke, no priming, no throttle. Just pull the cord and it fires right up...

I thought about electric but battery-powered are too expensive... Corded not as convenient... I plan on taking out my front lawn (about 1200+ sq ft, on a slight hill), and my rear yard only has about 1000 sq ft, but my wife suggested we hold off on the front-lawn removal this year...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I've been reading some reviews.
Apparently, every self propelled mower ever built sucks.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old May 16th, 16, 6:28 PM
Team Member

for 30 plus years been Canadian Tire brand with Briggs and Stratton, clean the plugs and filter every year. When they start giving issues I throw it out and buy another. Get easy 5 years or more each time, and works out to about $50 per year for each one.
And find that cleaning under the deck so you dont have wet grass packed up and rotting it from the inside out helps.
Having said that i bought a John Deere rider last year so the walk behind is only and edge trimmer now.

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1512 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.