great times to own a classic car. - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 16, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: great times to own a classic car.

Gotta love the internet, we go from our ability to get parts delivered across country with free shipping to technical information on how to or not to put stuff together.
Now what we need to figure out is this.........
The cul de sac I live on is hamilton place. About two miles down the road there is another hamilton place.
There isnt the same street address on the houses. I order a pizza and the delivery guy goes to the wrong hamilton place. You call 911 for a ambulance and theres a good chance the paramedics are driving around in circles in the wrong cul de sac.
I order brake lines from Summit. The Ohio box is delivered by fed ex in three days to the correct house
The nevada box with the rest of my parts got taken to the wrong cul de sac and sent back to phoenix on the 21. Then on the 22 the driver still couldn't figure it out and wasn't delivered because he was still at the wrong cul de sac. I called on Trac and wasn't told the driver was given a actual map and picture of the house off the internet so it should show up four days later! Hopefully ill have my brakes done monday. Jim
Bow_Tied likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 16, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Krister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Beaumont View Post
I have my engineers hat on..I feel smarter already! cool thanks! Toot! Toot! chugga chugga chugga chugga toot! toot! chugga chugga chugga chugga toot! toot! I didn't know old car hobby could be so much fun chugga chugga chugga chugga toot! toot!
Here's a site you can make more friends by acting like you are! Bye - have fun! Don't forget to tell them about loc-tite for brake lines.

Vintage Mustang Forums - Active Topics
langss and Badride like this.

Krister
'66 SS, L34, 4spd (M21), 3.73 posi, #'s Matching, G 5C
- like I would have ordered, but I was 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 11:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Thank god you sent him to the Mustang forum and not the Cougar Forum; we have enough of them already on the Cougar forums....
langss likes this.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 2:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
billy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow_Tied View Post
Hi Folks,

To the OP: I agree, it is amazing that we have a nearly complete supply of parts that we'd want for our Chevelles. It is amazing (even if expensive some times) when compared to some of our car brethren who restore orphan cars and have to build their replacement parts from scratch.

To others following the flare fitting comments:

My comments below are not meant to berate anyone or be arrogant but rather a simple share of my experience as industrial mechanic studying hydraulic system design and service, as a practicing mechanical engineering tech for ~20 years doing machine design, and as a car guy for even longer. I have yet many things to learn. One of the things I have some experience with is flare fittings.

When folks say 'loc-tite' it could be taken as either "pipe thread sealant" or "thread locker". In the case of flared fittings "pipe thread sealant" may seem like a great sealing back-up but it actually won't help specifically with holding pressure. Here is a simplified version (not an actual brake line flare but similar in principle) of why:

Notice that the fitting compresses the flare of the tube in this cross sectioned picture. Imagine the flare has a leak and fluid is moving past the flared surface toward the fitting 'nut'. The fluid could get to the thread area where in fact the thread sealant may stop the leak - BUT - notice that the fluid could also seep past the other end of the fitting around the tip of the flare. This is why the thread sealant isn't effective at holding pressure.

There is a little "however" here: The thread sealant, especially the ones that contain teflon, may act like a bit of a lubricant (not unlike the oil on threads mentioned in a previous post) which could help reduce tightening friction and apply more clamping force to the flare for a better seal. In that sense the thread sealant could help. And in the same manner, so could "thread locker". All very similar to the use of the oil as a lubricant.

As mentioned already, the thread sealant won't make a significant difference to locking threads and the thread locker could potentially be too strong depending on the type used. Flared fittings properly tightened are generally excellent at avoiding becoming loose from vibration. But if one was bent on using it I would recommend using the purple "222" thread locker as it is typically very easy to remove with hand tools. Proper tightening torque will in the vast majority of cases be sufficient without any additives just need clean fittings in good condition.

Under no circumstances should any thread locker or sealant be added to flare surfaces as it may contaminate/react with the fluid the tubes are meant to convey. Cleanliness in a hydraulic system is important. I discourage the use of teflon tape anywhere in a hydraulic system as even a small bit of it could foul up the operation of valves or small passage ways.

I hope that was helpful to some readers.
Best regards to all.
exactly ! any educated tech would not allow any type of contamination in the lines ! i have a buddy who used loc-tite while doing his brake conversion last year , not sure where he came up with the misguided info he had already used it on a brake fitting at the proportioning valve and could not figure out why it wouldnt thread on ! the loc-tite had dried in the fitting while he was struggling to connect it ! i informed him the connections need to be free of contamination when assembling any type of hydraulic lines !
langss likes this.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 8:59 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

A couple notes. I did the same thing on my 66. I looked at the tee for the rear brakes and immediately decided to buy a new one, as well as every other hard line and hose on the car when I did the disc upgrade several years ago. Seems to have worked. Still manual brakes and will lock all four when needed.

To clarify, I see no need to put sealer or thread locker on brake fittings. Rust will typically hold them together. I do use anti sieze on more things than most, lugnuts, trans and chassis bolts, and all engine accessories and manifolds, int and exh. I did use locktite on the crank to flywheel bolts. Thread sealant on the intake and some head bolts, and other water fittings. And other pipe thread style fittings.

Generally I own stuff long enough that it has to come apart again. And I learned from outboard motors.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 16, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Got the rest of the parts this afternoon! What I thought was a missing rearend cover bolt to mount the brake line bracket turned out to be broken. So the fun of drilling out the bolt, which is stilll stuck. Gotta love working on 50 year old cars.
I did find the rear axle code, ca 3.08 open. Also found the floor pan passenger rear looks to have been bottomed out. No rust but dented pretty good. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 12:49 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
It's quite apparent to me that this 65beaumont guy is a malcontent know it all that just likes to stir the pot. The web has millions like him. Too bad he found this place.

As you are seeing here now, there's a reason the below mentioned happened to 65Beaumont (Darren) on Canadian Poncho---

Apr 1st, 16, 1:45 PM
GLHS60
Tech Team
RANDY

Re: Is it a Pontiac or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS60
It was more of an informative discussion until someone started all the drama.

Kind of reminds me of someone who was banned from C.P., twice??.

ak is certainly knowledgeable on Acadian , Beaumont and Canadian Pontiac history!!

Cam knows a bit too

Thanks
Randy

I owe T.C. an apology, someone wasn't actually banned twice at C.P.

I've been informed Darren was actually banned three times, using different screen names.

Thanks
Randy
GLHS60 likes this.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 5:41 AM
Tech Team
RANDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Beaumont View Post
I'm not the one who is having a kanip**** over 50 cents worth of thread sealant, are you a engineer? apparently you need to be a engineer lol hilarious chugga chugga chugga chugga toot! toot! lol
Darren, as a Canadian Pontiac owner to a Canadian Acadian Beaumont owner I respectfully request you tone it down.

I don't want all the good folks here thinking all Canadians act like you have been performing in this thread. Please, take a breath and

START OVER.

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1433 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.