so I get a recall notice - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
so I get a recall notice

My dd is a 08 pontiac vibe. We've had it since new and its been a really good car. I get a recall notice today on the airbags. Basically its a notice saying the air bag has a issue and gm will fix it for free. Bowever gm doesnt have the parts to fix it yet. Another letter will be sent when the repair parts are available so until then keep people out of the passenger seat. I just thought it was kind of a crazy way to word a letter and had to chuckle. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 8:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: so I get a recall notice

They are either required by law to inform the owner as soon as a recall on a safety item has been issued, or it's CYA with regards to potential liability, regardless of whether the part to fix it is available. Whatever the reason, it got your attention.

Steve R
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 8:48 PM
Tech Team
Mike

I have an 05 Vibe and what I was explained was GM has some parts but not enough to cover the recall. I went in and explained that I am taking my car on a trip and having my wife sit in the backseat was not an option. They did the recall and I went on my way.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 10:53 PM
Tech Team
Joe

As I'm sure you're aware, the "Vibe" is actually a Toyota Matrix with Poncho badges. As such, it may have one of the Takata air bags that can potentially explode blowing metal shrapnel at the passenger in the event of a collision. I'd be tempted to unplug it till it can be fixed. And yes, I'd live with the A/B warning light being on till then too.

Just a thought.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 11:15 PM
Tech Team
Nick

X2 Takata air bags.Ford has recalls too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

I recently got a recall notice for an 08 Cobalt that I have not owned since 2010 and just a month ago I got a recall notice for the 2010 Malibu I traded in last November. Unfortunately the recalls seem to never take a priority. You will get the notice right away, but they are very slow to get the parts. If I had to guess, somebody somewhere has done a study and figured out just how long the car would still be out on the road(average)and how many people still own the recall affected car(again average). So they figure all this out and just expect the minimum response. As an example my Wife's 07 Mustang GT has several recalls on it, the Kill You On Deployment Airbags is just one, but she never follows up on anything so I'm sure the MFG's count on that. She got the recall notice on the tire stems, but never bothered to take the car back for the new stems. Tires got changed out and new stems, again MFG's no out of pocket expense for parts. So bottom line ..... the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you want your car fixed in a timely fashion, your going to have to keep calling them, otherwise you will be forgotten. As always, just my .02.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 1:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Alan

A co-worker's 2007(?) Honda Ridgeline is subject to the airbag recall, and the Honda dealer told him to park it (while signing that he would not drive it) then got him a Ram truck rental vehicle until the repair can be made. I also, heard of person on another forum with a Acura subject to airbag recall, that was also told to park the vehicle and Acura got him a Cadillac CTS rental car. Doesn't sound like GM is taking the same approach. I'm also not sure how widespread Honda is paying for rental vehicles until repairs are made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 7:27 AM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

My 07 Rav4 had a recall of a recall. The first recall didn't fix the problem so they reengineered the recall and tried again.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 7:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Back when my '68 Chevelle was new, I got a recall letter for it. They had to replace a bracket for the transmission line so it couldn't rub against things under the car and possibly fail. Back in those days, Chevy had their chit together and didn't need to wait months or years for parts. The dealer had the new bracket on hand and fixed it in a few minutes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 1:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Back when my '68 Chevelle was new, I got a recall letter for it. They had to replace a bracket for the transmission line so it couldn't rub against things under the car and possibly fail. Back in those days, Chevy had their chit together and didn't need to wait months or years for parts. The dealer had the new bracket on hand and fixed it in a few minutes.
a small bracket that costs a dime to make is a bit different than an airbag assembly, which is in and of itself probably more complicated and expensive to the manufacturer than any single part of your Chevelle back in 1968..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 2:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Krister

'96-'98 I worked as Dir of Customer Service at my uncles Chrysler/Jeep dealership. We ran about 100-120 cars a day through the shop. Jeep had a recall on fuel tank sending units, so until fixed the gas gauge would read empty. The letter explained for customers to fill fuel tanks full, note the mileage and drive within the average miles per gallon range of a full tank. We got so many calls of people who ran out of gas and saying they didn't know how to calculate how far the could drive on a full tank. It was also a very bad time for Chryslers transmissions. We replaced an average of 22 trans a week all under warranty.

Krister
'66 SS, L34, 4spd (M21), 3.73 posi, #'s Matching, G 5C
- like I would have ordered, but I was 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 2:58 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm also not sure how widespread Honda is paying for rental vehicles until repairs are made.
I work for a Honda dealer here. We've done so many recalls on the airbag inflators and they keep adding more models that are affected. Some customers have been in rentals for months and Honda is paying the rental bills. I'm sure though that Honda will try to recover at least most of those bills from the inflators manufacturer. That being said, there's certainly a danger of fragments coming from the airbag system. I wouldn't take it too lightly. Do take your cars in for this service. All it costs you is a little time to take care of it. It may be some time before all parts are available to repair all the cars. There's just so many models that are affected, not only Hondas but many other makes as well.

65 Chevelle SS Convertible 350 4 speed Muncie...hopefully complete in another year or so
65 Chevelle SS hardtop 396, 4 speed
65 Chevelle Malibu Convertible, 350/TH350
64 Chevelle Malibu 2dr hardtop
64 Chevelle SS, 350/450hp, Muncie M21
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 5:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A co-worker's 2007(?) Honda Ridgeline is subject to the airbag recall, and the Honda dealer told him to park it (while signing that he would not drive it) then got him a Ram truck rental vehicle until the repair can be made. I also, heard of person on another forum with a Acura subject to airbag recall, that was also told to park the vehicle and Acura got him a Cadillac CTS rental car. Doesn't sound like GM is taking the same approach. I'm also not sure how widespread Honda is paying for rental vehicles until repairs are made.
my local honda dealer offers a demo vehicle not a rental, but at least they offer something.

78 Malibu, 402, th350, holley sniper EFI, 9" 3:70.
69 VW baja 1679cc. stick shift toy.
96 chevy 1500, tow vehicle.
04 scion XB daily driver.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Maybe I should call the gm dealer and see what if anything they might offer. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 6:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I got a letter a good 6 months to year ago for my 2010 Chrysler 300 about the drivers side airbag needing to be replaced but they didn't have a fix for it. Just got another one last week saying they have the parts now to fix it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1541 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.