car show etiquette - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 6:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: car show etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
I would call it a Nomad. I have a hard enough time keeping up with all the Chevelle stuff, but I guess you can have your fun and laugh at me now.
It sounds like you are one of the true car guys I would have taken the time to explain the difference.

I was referring to the people that think they know it all.

Another reason we have not gone to car shows for the last 10 years.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.

Last edited by augy; Apr 18th, 16 at 7:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 7:32 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage
I think that just like any experience in life these shows and cruises are what you make of them.

I live about an hour north of Philadelphia in what you would call the suburbs. Within 15-20 miles of me there are tons of shows and cruises from mid-April through early October. Being a guy who has a wife, 2 kids, a job, a home, ect. it's pretty much impossible to attend EVERY event. I try to pretty much do one a weekend of at all possible but I'm usually scheduling car cruises around cutting the lawn, my sons baseball schedule, my daughter's track meets and horseback riding competitions and anything else that pops up. When I do finally get a Saturday night opportunity to get into my Chevelle, put the top down, and row through the gears, frankly I don't worry about whether some stranger at a show calls it a Chevelle or a GTO.

There are 2 large local shows that my buddies and I attend. Each show draws well over 500 cars and the towns they are held in close down the Main Street allowing people to walk down the street to view the cars. I enjoy these shows. I normally go with a group of about 5-10 car guys and we chill, talk cars, meet up with other car guy buddies, see old friends, look at the hot girls, ect. For us it's much more of a social event than it is about earning a trophy or worrying about what every Tom, Dick, or Harry thinks of our rides.
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 7:48 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
....Back when we used to go to car shows, we would sit a ways off from our car and then listen and laugh at some of the comments made about our '57 Chevy 150 2 door El Cheapo Handyman wagon. Most of the time the know-it-alls called it a Nomad....

"Yep, son, that's one of them there '57 Nomads. I had me one of them there cars once. The guy that owns this one sure did a poor job restoring it. He left all the chrome off the tailgate. He put a silver grille in it instead of the gold one. It ain't supposed to have 55 Chevy straight chrome on the rear quarters." Etc, etc, etc.

You CAN distinguish the know-it-alls from the truly uninformed. I always explain the difference between a Nomad and a 2-door wagon (actually rarer than a Nomad) to the uninformed, and they appreciate that.

The "experts"?....I usually just listen and then....
and it doesn't do any good to try to correct them. They'll just argue, and then you end up in the whole arguing with an idiot routine.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
augy and Anylizer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 16, 8:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw468 View Post

There are 2 large local shows that my buddies and I attend. Each show draws well over 500 cars and the towns they are held in close down the Main Street allowing people to walk down the street to view the cars. I enjoy these shows. I normally go with a group of about 5-10 car guys and we chill, talk cars, meet up with other car guy buddies, see old friends, look at the hot girls, ect. For us it's much more of a social event than it is about earning a trophy or worrying about what every Tom, Dick, or Harry thinks of our rides.
This sounds just like the cruise to Hastings, Mn held every other Sat night during the summer. Main Street, hundreds of cars, thousands of people, come and go as you please. Everything from Model T's to brand new muscle. We've been to that one several times.

This year we were thinking of taking our "as-is" '68 L79 Malibu, but would probably be condemned by the "experts".

So I think we'll go.....

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

I've never seen why people go to shows; at first it's fun for about 10 minutes and then they all start looking the same. I stopped going to any shows about 15 years ago; now if I go it's just to try to get free stuff, etc.
70RAIII likes this.

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
I've never seen why people go to shows;
I think the more restrictive shows (all Chevy or all Mustang for ex.) are more competitive, thus less fun.

I started going to hang out with my FIL and his goofy friends. They all have street rods, and those cars look all the same to me.

As far as I'm concerned , any NSRA show was just jelly bean colored, big fendered cars.

Then they started "allowing" later cars, up to 82 (I think) and it started getting more interesting.

That morphed into hitting more open shows and I really just had a good time looking at a wide variety of stuff. Now I go mostly to shows that allow anything. It's fun to walk around and see a 54 Belair sitting next to an 85 Monte SS sitting next to a new Charger sitting next to rat rod sitting next to a motorcycle.
Gimme a Gremlin or a Vega and that's a car show.

Plus, the $$ usually goes to a charity and I feel pretty good about that.

And usually, the cranky-old man-know-it-all is a rarity. Lots of interesting characters and stories at most shows.

The doddering old fool that cleans his calipers with a q-tip while downing everyone else's car is more entertaining than irritating.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 11:32 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak1 View Post
I've never seen why people go to shows; at first it's fun for about 10 minutes and then they all start looking the same. I stopped going to any shows about 15 years ago; now if I go it's just to try to get free stuff, etc.
Visiting with old friends and making new friends that share the same interest.
Alan F likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Robert

Maybe that's the issue; all my friends including family are not into cars, and I'm getting to old to make new ones.... I always like the ' YOU spent how much on that?" question....

'67 Elky Global West suspension kit with coil over QA1's, 435hp Edy Crate,700R4, Currie +9 3:75, Disc brakes front and rear, Dakota Digital gauge package, 12 Circuit Painless wiring kit, Ididit tilt Colum, etc.
2012 HD Tri-Glide in Vivid Black.
1967 XR7 Cougar S code 390.
2016 Charger R/T in Purple.
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 16, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

I used to go to a fair few car shows but not any more, perhaps one or two a year. If we have to worry about idiots at car shows, we would rather go on a nice long drive, have lunch and meander along back home another route. I don't need people to admire our car to stoke my ego. We just enjoy them any more. I'm taking the Car to have lunch with some car friends tomorrow. THAT is what it is all about. It's the getting together with friends. The cars are the common interest.
Steve R and 70RAIII like this.
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:19 AM
Tech Team
Ray

Had one of my cars at the annual United Airlines Friends and Family car show one year. Friends and I were standing nearby eating lunch and talking when my wife says there's a guy sitting in your car. I looked over and sure enough some idiot is sitting in my car while his friend is taking a picture of him. I walk over and tell him this is not a dealer's car lot and to get his ass out of my car. So instead of apologizing, he takes his time to finish his picture before getting out. The problem with these idiots is they're not car people and don't understand or appreciate all the time, sweat and money that is invested in these cars. If they are car people, they would know better and respect the cars.
shovelrick likes this.

Oro En Paz Fierro En Guerra
post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 7:24 AM
Tech Team
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tedford View Post
I don't need people to admire our car to stoke my ego. We just enjoy them any more. I'm taking the Car to have lunch with some car friends tomorrow. THAT is what it is all about. It's the getting together with friends. The cars are the common interest.
For me it is about meeting other car enthusiasts..people outside of my little world. And maybe exposing new people to the fun hobby, too. I agree with what others have said and fall back to the adage: don't let a few bad apples (both car show attendees and car owners) spoil the bunch.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 12:21 PM
Tech Team

I carry a sawed off hockey stick for over 30yrs between seat and door, easy to grab on way out of car easy to grab through the window. A nice 21/2 - 3ft section of handle that says Sherwood..I sure would yup. I call it my anti theft deterrent system. Touch the car, see what happens, spin the wheel take your chances

Last edited by 65Beaumont; Apr 22nd, 16 at 2:03 PM.
post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:02 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

If you use that for anything other than defending yourself from personal harm you will be the one in trouble and the person that you use it on will be able to buy a nicer car than yours on your dime.
post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:22 PM
Tech Team

Touch the car and find out..I'm not putting over $25,000 into my ride and stand there do nothing while some clown wants to start messing with it..under Canadian constitution we are allowed to use "reasonable" force defending our property or ourselves. The grey area is "reasonable force", I can use as much force necessary to detain the clown, I can only be charged with assault if clown is pleading for to stop wacking him with witnesses around and I don't stop wacking the clown. This forum is not a good place to dispute legalities. Touch the car, see what happens is all I will say. It's not like I haven't been in cop cars lol Man..old car hobby use to be a family orientated affair, sure doesn't seem that way anymore
post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 16, 4:38 PM
Tech Team

You're going to stand there do nothing while some clown rips out all your plug wires? keys your brand new paint bumper to bumper? pours soda pop all over your brand new NOS upholstery from SMS? you stand there do nothing? I'm sure you'd be doing something about it...so don't judge or preach to me about doing something about it. Touch the car, see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1541 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.