Thoughts on wireless speakers for "old school" stereo receivers - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By blue_69_malibu
  • 1 Post By 55Redneck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 2:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thoughts on wireless speakers for "old school" stereo receivers

I have a few old stereo receivers and was wondering if anyone tried using one of these:

basically,you hook it up to the head phone jack and can use any brand blue tooth speakers.

Thoughts,experiences,etc. welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 5:40 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Re: Thoughts on wireless speakers for "old school" stereo receivers

Depends on what you are after..
Units like the one you posted work, some better than others, the better ones you a line out instead of a head set jack..
Bluetooth compresses the music if you are ok with the sound you will get from that, DAC'S(digital /analog converters) are not cheap for good ones so things like you posted, cheap ones will have a cheap converter.
Not knowing what or how old of a unit you are hooking to, but if it has a audio coax digital out or fiber op tos link out, I'd use that , and a Bluetooth adapter that will connect to that.. as you won't be relying on the dac in the Bluetooth unit to convert the analog head set info to a digital stream.. before compressing it to the bluwtooth format..
Even a Bluetooth unit that uses analog outputs from your stereo (rca jacks) will sound better than the cheaply amp signal from a headphone jack

FYI most older stereo's will have a tape loop (cassette) input and output, the output used to go to a deck to record, but can be used as a line level output for a Bluetooth unit.. if a digital out isn't offered on your stereo..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 6:43 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6872 View Post
Depends on what you are after..
Units like the one you posted work, some better than others, the better ones you a line out instead of a head set jack..
FYI most older stereo's will have a tape loop (cassette) input and output, the output used to go to a deck to record, but can be used as a line level output for a Bluetooth unit.. if a digital out isn't offered on your stereo..
You wont get volume control from your old reciever if you use line out, you'll have to control it at the remote speaker

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 16, 10:42 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Before you worry about sound compression or other audiophile type concerns, think about how often your windows are open when driving your Chevelle or what have you. It's the overwhelming majority of the time. That alone "kills" the acoustics, so to speak......so I don't think it's really worth losing any sleep over.

It's very hard to get an old car to mirror the cabin sound of even something like my 2008 Trailblazer. Almost nothing we can do to our old A Bodies will make them sound like a newer car acoustically.

I'd just try to get good, clean sound at a sufficient enough level to your taste.
bikeron likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 9:13 AM
Tech Team
Red

Wink Re: Thoughts on wireless speakers for "old school" stereo receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
Before you worry about sound compression or other audiophile type concerns, think about how often your windows are open when driving your Chevelle or what have you. It's the overwhelming majority of the time. That alone "kills" the acoustics, so to speak......so I don't think it's really worth losing any sleep over.

It's very hard to get an old car to mirror the cabin sound of even something like my 2008 Trailblazer. Almost nothing we can do to our old A Bodies will make them sound like a newer car acoustically.

I'd just try to get good, clean sound at a sufficient enough level to your taste.
I don't think he's talking about car stereo here Tony.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 9:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

FYI-this is a Pioneer am/fm home stereo receiver from probably 1985 vintage

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 10:49 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
I don't think he's talking about car stereo here Tony.
Point well taken!! I've been battling a flu bug since last week and I'm still a little foggy at times. I did not pick up on the home stereo bit. My bad....

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 10:54 AM
Gold Member
Gene

It probably goes without saying, but know that the "power" and "fidelity" of your system will be dictated by the amps in the bluetooth speakers, not your Pioneer's amp. You're basically using your receiver as an input source selector for the bluetooth speakers, and adding volume and tone control.

68 SS396
Team Chevelle Gold #14
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Red

As somewhat of an audiophile I think this idea will be a major downgrade in sound quality from a pair of half way decent home audio speakers.
Eric6872 likes this.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 2:01 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
FYI-this is a Pioneer am/fm home stereo receiver from probably 1985 vintage

try to get a Bluetooth adapter that uses the line out.. instead of the headphone jack..
your mid 80's unit will have a line out,, either for an amp, a cassette deck or a reel to reel.. or an eq.. or all of them
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 2:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I am just looking to add a pair of wireless speakers to my system so I can bring them out to the garage, the deck, basement, etc.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 3:15 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I am just looking to add a pair of wireless speakers to my system so I can bring them out to the garage, the deck, basement, etc.
don't bother Bluetooth is only 30foot range
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 16, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Eric,thanks for your input-it is appreciated. Sounds like using the line out might be a better option than the headphone jack.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 16, 11:26 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

I agree with Eric on range. My wireless headphones go about that range from my laptop.

You might have better luck getting external wireless speakers that will play off of your smart phone if you have one. Phone connected to your house wifi can stream whatever songs you have on the net or on the phone itself.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

Founding member of
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 16, 4:44 AM
Tech Team
Eric

just get a boom box.. and some rechargeable batteries..
If I was to use Bluetooth like you want,, it be like said above, using your cell phone as the music source and stream whatever..
but a boom box.. is simple and many today have an input to connect your cellphone/ipod/etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1291 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.