Electrical advise needed - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Electrical advise needed

Need to add a 20a 240v breaker for a hot water heater, but I have no room in my panel.
Can I swap out more of the breakers for the tandem ones to make room?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	330546   Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	330554  

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Electrical advise needed

I would have no issue doing it. You may be able to find a 15-20 quad breaker that will work. It will allow you to have two 15 amp single pole breakers on the outside, with a 20 amp 2 pole breaker in the middle (this one should work:

). The deciding factor will be if the bussing has the cutouts to allow for the another twin/quad type breaker to fit.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 1:30 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

You can, but you have to know what you are doing. If you have any multi wire branch circuits and you combine them on a tandem breaker, you can cause big problems.
If you don't know what that means, please hire an electrician.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 6:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

My thought was to get 2 tandems for the 20's 2 &3 down & the ones 7 & 8 to make room for a 20 a 240 breaker. Does that sound right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breaker1 edit.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	330618  

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

If you get the quad breaker that I linked to, it makes your job much easier. Then you don't have to relocate any wires. The two 15 amp circuits on the left side of the panel can stay where they are, with the 20 amp 2 pole in the middle of them.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 7:20 PM
Tech Team
dan

What are the breakers supplying that you want to put on tandem breakers? You might be able to splice the wires together and land them under one breaker.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 7:30 PM
Tech Team
dan

How far away from the panel is the hot water heater? It may need a local disconnect.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 8:26 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Do yourself a favor and bring in an electrician to upgrade your panel. You already have a few tandem breakers on a relatively small panel to begin with. A panel upgrade costs only a couple hundred bucks.
I am usually a big advocate of DIY when it come to home improvement projects, but if you don't know your way around an electrical panel then you have no business poking around in there.
One of those things where if you have to ask...

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 8:34 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5798 View Post
What are the breakers supplying that you want to put on tandem breakers? You might be able to splice the wires together and land them under one breaker.
Do not go there...period.
haughty, 68-13427 and bry66 like this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Kitchen plugs, basement plugs
Sump pump & garage
I don't think I'll double up.

Quote:
How far away from the panel is the hot water heater? It may need a local disconnect.
Probably take 50 ft. run.

Jim

77 Monte
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 9:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

It doesn't matter what is currently on the single pole breakers since replacing them with twin style doesn't change anything other than the space the breakers use.

A disconnect or not at the WH has nothing to do with making room in the panel for a double pole breaker.

The main thing is to get circuit breakers that are allowed in the panel according to the manufacture of the panel.
Read the label.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 9:02 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Check the data tag on the heater. Most require 10-2 w/ground and a 30 amp dbl pole breaker.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 9:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Not sure you want to hear this ... but IMHO your 100AMP panel needs and upgrade.... not only panel but also SERVICE up grade .. I would do a 200 amp 150 at the least....
Not sure where you live some townships are vary strict regarding service upgrade .... But most around me let you do it, but need a inspection ... b=4 the power CO installs the upgraded line to your mast drop.

Wayne
TC # 186
ACES#1556

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 9:43 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
Not sure you want to hear this ... but IMHO your 100AMP panel needs and upgrade.... not only panel but also SERVICE up grade .. I would do a 200 amp 150 at the least....
Not sure where you live some townships are vary strict regarding service upgrade .... But most around me let you do it, but need a inspection ... b=4 the power CO installs the upgraded line to your mast drop.
Not enough info to warrant that assumption.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 16, 9:44 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I am a Electrician. Juts know the amp rating of the W/H , then get a quad as sed earlier. What typ of breakers are they cause some are harder to find. I'm on my phone and can't see them. Out of curiosity what is the current W/H barker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1291 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.