Get out of the Stock Market??? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 7:51 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Get out of the Stock Market???

dump stocks when things hit a rough spot, that's the well-known buy high, sell low strategy.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 7:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
dump stocks when things hit a rough spot, that's the well-known buy high, sell low strategy.
Good input.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 8:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Just a long overdue market correction.
As mentioned above I too have a good pension and a Military retirement. Our 401/457 plans are just extra cash for traveling after we retire. I'm content to let it ride as I did in 2008. SSI after deductions for my pension will be just beer money.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 8:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Same kind of discussion my wife and I are having ........ we are heavily invested in the market today down 200k on paper........for us being in the Canadian market which is heavy with resource stocks we are looking at it this way ........if you take out the oil and gas stocks , how is the rest of the market doing ?? the balance of stocks are not that bad and are blue chip mainly banks so big question is how long will the price of oil be depressed that seems to be the question we have decided to ride it out and as said sell off marginal ones and buy blue chip oil and gas opportunistically

My big mistake was not investing the US dollar in a bigger way last fall ........ best return by far is the US dollars we have bot but should have way more but of course that's not along term strategy

Rental properties not for me ....... but in the right market can be very attractive esp in stable markets where prices are not overvalues

66 CDN Malibu SS A51,L34,M20 Aztec Bronze

Tremec by Liberty[/FONT]

Foxwell 475 BBC 688hp /610 tq
9.5 cr pump gas Brodix heads by Foxwell Straub hyd Roller
Crusin / Track video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

Agree.
A different situation for us guys that have already rode out the last 30+ years and now are comfortably retired.
Probably move a chunk into something more conservative. That'll calm Momma's nerves for awhile.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Fist I am not a $ adviser .. And Yes were down 100 plus K...

My guy called us on Thursday , Just to say SIT tight ...

Also asked if We hand any extra to invest .... Marked Down you do not SELL you Buy Buy Buy

Wayne
TC # 186
ACES#1556

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 16, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Exxon will NOT go out of business

That's what I thought about WAMU and GM... I lost a ton when the Government shut them down. Despite those big losses, I came back up. It'll come back again.

But then there is always Enron...another energy company.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 1:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK
Also asked if We hand any extra to invest .... Marked Down you do not SELL you Buy Buy Buy
Is it just a "rough spot"? or does it have much further to drop? I agree, don't "sell low" but how many think this is the "low" right now... Not an expert, but I am thinking it may still drop a bit further in the near future.

Not sure what to do myself... My wife wants to move everything out of stocks, even if the returns are low... then once we a fairly confident things have bottomed out, then we would look at getting back in...

Our Roth has lost 5.4% YTD (only 10 days in?), and it wasn't overly aggressive... Similar for our 401K's...

I tend to fund my Roth yearly, before the April 15 deadline... This year my wife wants to just keep the cash liquid...

Not really trying to time the market, but figuring we'd rather preserve our current portfolio value, we can grow it later... +0.1% is better than -5%...

I'll be 49 next week, so I have a ways to go anyway, but I just hate that our portfolio lost so much back in 2006-2008...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 6:46 AM
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

It is really nice to be able to talk to other people about different subjects
on this site,thanks for all the input

70ss nassau blue
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 7:37 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage

There are no experts in the stock market. Everyone has an opinion, that's all.

My method is this: buy ETFs, mutual funds, individual stocks and S&P500 index fund, whatever you want when the economy is healthy. When you get nervous, sell everything but the index fund. Buy more of the index. That will be lower risk and you will stay invested.

Tom
'69 SS396 4-Speed Hardtop Red/Red

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 7:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post

to low return more stable investments.
What type if investment are you talking about? Name some names please.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 8:31 AM
Tech Team
Eric

I'm totally lost on this stuff..
any good links to read/book/ect.
that won't quickly go over a newbie's head.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 8:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rodney

I moved to an all cash position last October at around 17,500 Dow territory...I'll be happy to sit and watch for a while.
If you haven't lost until you have sold, go and ask your broker where the rest of your money is and can you have it today.
I'll bet that un-lost money is in the back room somewhere....
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 9:09 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Ya, that's some brilliant insight right there. Very helpful. Be sure to PM us all when its time to get back in. A few days beforehand would be nice, as most of us are uncannily accurate looking backwards.

Professionals ought not give advice on public boards, but the questions I would ask are these: 1.) does the stock market often go through 10-20% corrections as a matter of course? Is this economic backdrop ( US I mean) different than in the 2008-2009 time frame?

For the big dollar investors, do you have an idea of your needs and surplus capital? Surplus can be more aggressively invested and needs is what the name implies. The trouble with needs cap is that conservative decent yielding investments are scant. Intermediate term corporate bonds only yield 3% ( use BIV as a proxy).

One "axiom" we used to hang our "hats on" was to ensure retirees' investments had a good dollup of inflation protection in their asset mix, and one of those was oil/gas. The old addage was " we've always made money for our clients buying oil cheap " . My question to you all is, has this changed systemically, or is this is a short-term blip?

One area we've never jumped into as the publicly traded investments weren't valued well, but which has always intrigued me as an alternative asset and inflation hedge is - US farmland. It looks like the Saudis think its time to buy more and they are buying US farmland to produce grains for their cattle back home. The cross current is, ultra-low interest rates have pushed values of everything higher, so lots of mini-bubbles still exist.

Going back to the "sage advice" given earlier, Dow 17,500 - 16,000 = 1500/17500 = - 10% . Is this the 10% correction we've been waiting for since 2012? Is it over, or does it extend into a protracted bear market shooting for a 20% correction, implying somewhere around 14,000 on the Dow30. ??? I'm asking, not telling. And yes, it was odd to see a few majors call for selling out a few weeks back, which begs the question - were they already short the market?

To Eric, while its not a "investments for dummies" book, the secondary text I tell our undergrad students to buy from Amazon is "The Intelligent Investor" written by Benjamin Graham, the godfather of value investing. If you PM me your email, I'll send over a "primer" on investments - ABC's type of thing which is a 10 page bascis document.

Sage advice from my son Donovan, " Dad if oil gets any cheaper, how can I buy a few barrels?? " Indeed.

Up your assets y'all !

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 16, 9:47 AM
Tech Team
Les

Garage

Buy a tangible item, such as a collector car.
Resell it for a profit 1 or 2 years later.
It's tax free in the end. U can enjoy it for a while.
That will make U feel better about investing and making money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1306 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.