$100 fine for temptation - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Pete

Re: $100 fine for temptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin79 View Post
If I remember right, insurance companies won't cover the theft of a stolen vehicle if the keys are left in it anyway.
Years ago I left the keys in my van. Hell I used to leave them in my cars at home in the driveway. Anyway the van was stolen from behind my office the insurance company covered it.

This perception of permititng the actions of criminals to be the victims fault just doesn't compute with me. If it's not yours don't freaking take it!!!

Member# 1097
1970 Chevelle 350cu w/ th350, 750 edel carb, perform intake and lopey cam of unknown specs which produces low vacuum 7-9", otherwise stock motor.
67 std Camaro conv, 1978 Corvette, 03 Silverado, 13 Sonata Hybrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Does it get that cold in Jackson that you have to leave your car running?
Are all of the new cars like my 2013 you can't lock the doors with the engine running?
My 2011 truck you can still lock it with it running.

I just start & go with my truck unless I have to clean the windows. Modern vehicles with EFI are so nice. I can't lock my PDL with the engine running either. Daily, 1 mile from the house I stop to get coffee and leaving it running, for a few minutes - and it is locked. How? I have a second key, one of the dumb type. Can't even use it in the ignition or the truck will stop and it would take a dealer tow and computer reset at $200. That is what the dealer parts department d=said when I git the key. I leave the truck running with the smart remote key in the ignition, manually lock the doors, and go in to get my coffee, When I return, I open the door with the dumb key, get in and go. While I believe that these new vehicle do not m=need to sit and warm up, I do not like to shut off an engine that has only run for 1 mile, I believe that practice to be hard on the bearings and rings since the engine is not warm and a wasted start, eventually requiring a starter since I do this daily. BTW - it is illegal here too but only enforced by certain type of control freak cops.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1dc View Post
This perception of permititng the actions of criminals to be the victims fault just doesn't compute with me. If it's not yours don't freaking take it!!!
Me too... it's like saying mini-skirts cause rape.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 1:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
At temps below 0 my truck windows will fog up quite a bit before the engine gets warm enough for the defrost to work, especially if I have kids in the truck with me. Especially at temps below -10 they will fog up enough to not be able to see the road safely about a mile down the road.

I prefer not to warm up my vehicles, but sometimes it is necessary depending on conditions.
if you crack a couple of the windows just a little bit (1/2" or so works) and drive in a lower gear until the temp gauge starts to move, the windows won't fog up and it will warm up faster.. also, don't put the fan on high until the gauge starts to move- medium works just to keep air moving enough to keep the windows clear..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 3:42 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Got my pickup setting out there running now to clear the snow off the windshield and warm it up.
Guess I'm one of them.

Just kidding.

post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 5:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Well if you need to run it to let your windows clear.
540rat & a nasa engineer have it figured out
Nobody knows that right?

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-p...r-vehicle.html
The Fastest Way to Defog Your Windshield, Courtesy of a Former NASA Engineer

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 16, 7:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNova View Post
That's quite a stretch, who ever said it was OK to take a running car?
Some people think leaving something unsecured equates to "giving" it away.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 16, 10:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1dc View Post
I hear that. I had a 72 stolen and it hadnt run for at least 10 years. Thieves dont give a s*&t if the car is running with the keys in it or not.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 7:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

My nieghbor got his car trailer stolen from his front yard. It must have been his fault for leaving it the front yard even though it hadn't moved in ten years and was sitting on four flats. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 8:24 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

The law isn't saying that it's the car owner's fault, they're just trying to deter the thefts from happening.
Less thefts mean less work for the LEO's

The days of leaving keys in cars and doors unlocked have been over for years and especially now days since the whole world has gone nuts.

post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

maybe they should crack down harder on low life thieves instead.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 1:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Now they just need to start fining women with short skirts so Police don't have to investigate so many rapes.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 16, 3:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Well It's pretty simple.
If you don't care to gamble on you vehicle being stolen and/or getting a fine, don't do it.
If you're a gambling person then go ahead and do it.

If you think you can change the law, the go through the proper channels to try.

Griping about it here does zilch.

I gamble once in a while myself.

post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 16, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Gee, isn't that the reasoning behind many Muslims forcing their women to wear burkas, etc?

It's not yours, don't take it. Just too weak-minded to be tempted.

Thankfully, it never gets too cold here, maybe high-20's on a few mornings... But still the van is cold inside, and the defroster doesn't work well enough to clear the inside. Takes a few minutes for the defroster to work, and its too dangerous to drive until then (taking my kids to school)...

So you can kill someone for stealing while on your property?

How about tacking a few $100 bills to the front door frame and then hiding in the bushes with your .45... Probably get in trouble, but perhaps a few would realize "its not yours, don't take it."

While I do let it warm up in the driveway a bit, I am always inside. "Nice" neighborhood, but I just don't feel safe leaving it running when I am not sitting in the driver's seat...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 16, 1:28 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Not really Derek, a lot of women not wearing anything sexy get raped and a lot of them wearing mini-skirts do not get raped.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1368 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.