anyone check thier body fat % - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 14, 9:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
anyone check thier body fat %

My wifes been on a diet excersize kick going on nine months now. Good diet, crossfit, cardio etc and its doing her a great amount of good. So of course Im being encouraged to join in. Im 5'10" 205# still wear 36" jeans. Im on my feet all day and walk the dogs in the desert 30-45 seven days a week.
So she has access to a "bodpod" at work. I figure lets just see where im at....33.4% body fat!. Anything over 30% is considered high. So now im riding the elliptiacal at the gym 30-50 minutes four or five days a week. At 51 it shows the heartrate should be at 136 at 80%. At first the heartrate hits 150 with a little pushing two weeks into this and 130 is a nice steady sweaty 45 minute workout.
Just a heads up for us guys that think we arent in that bad of shape. Look at this stuff like the preventive maintnance we do on our cars. We dont let the oil or coolant go until it breaks down. Its easier to keep your body tuned up rather than rebuilding it after a heart attack or worse. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 14, 10:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

Re: anyone check thier body fat %

I think I'm at about 97%. It's tough keeping it there but I try.
James

1968 Beaumont SD396
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACES #7986
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 14, 11:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

No fat on my body, there's a little in it though.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Michael

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MEJ1990TM

I'm in perfect shape. Round is a shape.

1966 Charger (383, 727 Torqueflight)
1970 SS 454 Chevelle (LS5+2, M22, 3.31 12 bolt)
1971 Malibu (350, M22, 3.31 12 Bolt)

I'm looking for a girl with a car, and a house..........with cable.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 1:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Not sure what percentage I am at, but according to that wonderful BMI table , I am still about 25-35 pounds over where I should be ( I am 6'-1+")... And I have lost 30+ pounds in the past 4 months (and another 25-30 over the year or two prior to that)... lightest I have been in 20+ years (easily the lightest my wife has ever seen me), feeling pretty good... And now everybody notices (friends/family/neighbors/coworkers)... I still look in the mirror and see a bit of a belly, but it is getting smaller... Yeah, some health scares got me motivated...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 6:52 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I have lost 130 lbs over the past few years and I can feel a difference. By no means am I a star athlete but I have been walking and biking for activity. Also I have found some of my triggers that I try to avoid. So in the evening I do drink a bit of water and go out to the shop to get some stuff done.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 7:08 AM
Tech Team
James

I'm off to the gym now. Then I'll go set some forms and pour concrete. Been doing this for over 12 years. I'm about 10%. 5'-9" @ 152#

At my worst, I'm at my best
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 7:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

BMI is a joke! My grandson (while playing football at TT) was tested for body fat. The whole weighing in a pool thing and had less than 5% body fat. His BMI was close to 40. He was 6'8" and 345#. BMI has no provision for body shape.

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 7:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I am 66+ years old, 5'11", have a 34 inch waste, a 45 inch chest, and weigh 185 pounds. I do 60 push-ups every night, and can do 80 if challenged.

I am considered borderline obese by that stupid body fat index.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 7:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

BMI is heavily misused. It was never intended to be used the way it is.

I'm 6'1", 240, about 18%, my BMI is 33. According to any doctor who is lazy enough to use the BMI, my heart should explode any minute now. Yet, when I run on the treadmill, I regularly get my heart rate up to 180-185. According to the other one size fits all diktat, my "max" heart rate is 173.

The BMI should be **** canned. The hand held scanners are more accurate.

Now, to be fair, I AM overweight, but if I lose enough weight to have a "normal" BMI, I would weigh 180, and I haven't weighed 180 since college. If I got down to 0%, I would weigh around 200 and still be "overweight".

I've dropped a bunch of lard in the last few months. Not so much weight but I've dropped from 38s down to the point where my 36s are going on the thrift shop pile. I'm also lifting pretty heavily, so definitely putting on muscle, so I figure by the time I get back down to my usual 10%, I'll probably be 210.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 7:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

I am 6'7". 320 as of this mornings ritual ( I was 326 when I woke up). My BFI was checked at 39% as of July 6th, my annual physical. 43 years old.

I still work like a dog 7 days a week and rarely rest until the sun goes down and I do my 2nd and 3rd daily ritual. Hint, 2nd is my wife, 3rd involves self medication.

Don't get caught up in numbers. My Indian doctor calls me a fatty every time I am in her office. Oh well. Such is life. I an not overly concerned with my health. Moreso I concern myself with living the life I want. And when my health affects that, than I do what it takes.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 8:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Drop the self medication for 6 months and you'd be surprised at how much weight you'll drop without having to do anything else.

I like beer as much as the next guy, but I really had to tone it down. It was tough but I quit entirely for over a month, now I only have it on the weekends. Once I get down to where I want to be, I can start again, but not to the extent I did before.

Beer is exactly like HFCS in your body, so all the bad things you hear WRT weight gain and HFCS, you also get with beer.

That said, you don't have a desk job, so you're probably a lot healthier than your average person your size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 8:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jimmyradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
My wifes been on a diet excersize kick going on nine months now. Good diet, crossfit, cardio etc and its doing her a great amount of good. So of course Im being encouraged to join in. Im 5'10" 205# still wear 36" jeans. Im on my feet all day and walk the dogs in the desert 30-45 seven days a week.
So she has access to a "bodpod" at work. I figure lets just see where im at....33.4% body fat!. Anything over 30% is considered high. So now im riding the elliptiacal at the gym 30-50 minutes four or five days a week. At 51 it shows the heartrate should be at 136 at 80%. At first the heartrate hits 150 with a little pushing two weeks into this and 130 is a nice steady sweaty 45 minute workout.
Just a heads up for us guys that think we arent in that bad of shape. Look at this stuff like the preventive maintnance we do on our cars. We dont let the oil or coolant go until it breaks down. Its easier to keep your body tuned up rather than rebuilding it after a heart attack or worse. Jim
You'd be better off starting to lift weights. Men's hormones react differently to cardio than a woman's. Endless hours of cardio will typically leave you the same weight and a higher body fat % from the muscle loss. For most men a well designed weight training program is enough cardio to keep the ticker in good shape. Diet is the key, too many carbs drive up cholesterol, testosterone down and estrogen higher. There's a lot of science to back all this up too. Check out the Testosterone Advantage Plan, very quick read and informative for a primer in all this. Human performance is a bit of a passion with me. I'm 38, 5'10", 245lbs and typically around 13-14% body fat. Those "bodpod" things are notoriously inaccurate too.

TC Member # 4431
'67 Chevrolet Biscayne- SS427 L-36/TH400 (Hers)
'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400 (His)
'66 300 Deluxe 2 door-230/PG
"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and they're generally more useful.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

I'm 35, 5'10" and between 10-12% body fat. 170 lbs. Down from 180 and 18% 8 months or so ago, but up from the 170lbs and 5% I was in college. Just cut way down on beer and way up on cardio while keeping lifting the same. Blood pressure is way down and I feel great. Always been active, but the change in drinking habits is what got me back where I want to be.
Sadly, my life at this point is 95% sitting in a chair reading, so given that I feel pretty good about things.
And using BMI doesn't necessarily mean your doctor is lazy, it means he or she has to use something that quantifies things for diagnosis and treatment purposes, at least on paper. Writing it down doesn't mean they believe it, but they do want to get reimbursed for things. Insurance companies want it charted, they have the money and the lobbyist, and we all know how that goes...

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 14, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrad View Post
You'd be better off starting to lift weights. Men's hormones react differently to cardio than a woman's. Endless hours of cardio will typically leave you the same weight and a higher body fat % from the muscle loss. For most men a well designed weight training program is enough cardio to keep the ticker in good shape. Diet is the key, too many carbs drive up cholesterol, testosterone down and estrogen higher. There's a lot of science to back all this up too. Check out the Testosterone Advantage Plan, very quick read and informative for a primer in all this. Human performance is a bit of a passion with me. I'm 38, 5'10", 245lbs and typically around 13-14% body fat. Those "bodpod" things are notoriously inaccurate too.
Very short, very intense workouts are the key. I'm in the gym no more than 40 minutes, sometimes as little as 20. There are a lot of fad workout programs that come and go, but if you ever see a Body for Life book, snap it up. That's one of the much better ones, At the end of a BFL workout, you've been going 20 or 40 minutes, but your heart rate is up near maximum. And it doesn't take much time at that high a heart rate to see benefits.

What works for me WRT ramping up testosterone is the good old simple multijoint exercises with free weights. A good 5x5 powerlifting routine has always served me well, but a little less now that I'm older and my joints are a bit more delicate.

That and lay off the beer Beer tends to have an anti testosterone effect, in addition to acting just like HFCS.

WRT to those electrical body fat calculators, I've discovered that the absolute number you get can vary widely. The manufacturer recommends very specifically how it should be used and those recommendations should be followed to the letter. I experimented with it and found that it made a huge difference in the number if I had my sweatshirt off vs on at the end of a workout, at the beginning vs at the end of a workout, even how I held my arms and whether or not I had my elbows locked. BUT, the best thing I figured out was it didn't really matter how you held it or when you tested, but as long as you did it consistently the same way every time, you could see relative body fat and if you were losing or gaining.

Quote:
As usual, Andy is right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2139 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.