Insure before you buy - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

8Likes
  • 7 Post By oldcutlass
  • 1 Post By Pete 67

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 4:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Insure before you buy

Always did this before buying a used car....this time I didnt as getting this deal to happen was a pain and didnt really know til it was on the flatbed.

Figured Id tow it home and insure it the next morning

Sounded good til the truck showed up 40 min late to discover the tire was popped, dirt packed in the treads and car pulled hard to the left. You know what happened...of course they deny everything.

Ever feel like that guy who has shoelaces that are too short and the rest have slip ons ?

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Insure before you buy

Normally cars newly purchased are automatically insured on your current policy with the same coverages as the other cars you own.
blm, Chevelle_Nut, 67_LS1 and 4 others like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 6:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Tell me more?? I have full coverage high limits.

I know Im covered for driving but if it was on a tow truck? Tell me I can call my ins company. I bought this as a daily and need it on the road. Found all new pieces F and R with new bushings but dont have a bunch of $ to sink into it.

If so they are gonna be pizzed, they are fighting me on repainting my 02 1500 right now. But Im paid up...

Quote:
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Insurance rules & regulations are all state dependent.

In Massachusetts, each car is insured independently even if on the same policy, and you can't insure it until you own it. And if it isn't listed on the policy, it is not insured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Normally cars newly purchased are automatically insured on your current policy with the same coverages as the other cars you own.

1972 Chevelle, MJ 467, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 6:59 PM
Tech Team

my insurance will cover any new purchase by me at my best policy for 30 days from purchase.most of my cars just have liability BUT my wifes daily driver has full coverage with $100 deductible.so anything i buy has that insurance for 30 days from purchase guaranteed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 8:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
my insurance will cover any new purchase by me at my best policy for 30 days from purchase.most of my cars just have liability BUT my wifes daily driver has full coverage with $100 deductible.so anything i buy has that insurance for 30 days from purchase guaranteed.
Same on my policy. Say you buy a car on a Sat from a dealer and your agent is closed, you are covered.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 9:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Call your insurance on Monday. Even if your policy will cover it once you factor in your deductible and they prorate the tire for wear good luck getting anything. Too bad you weren’t there when they picked up the car, they would have had to fix it.

Steve R
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 20, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
Tell me more?? I have full coverage high limits.

I know Im covered for driving but if it was on a tow truck? Tell me I can call my ins company. I bought this as a daily and need it on the road. Found all new pieces F and R with new bushings but dont have a bunch of $ to sink into it.

If so they are gonna be pizzed, they are fighting me on repainting my 02 1500 right now. But Im paid up...
Call your insurance company and explain the situation.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 12:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Is there a reason you aren't fighting with the tow-truck company for damages? Surely the seller has pics of the car before you bought it.

Or file a complaint with AAA if they supplied the tow. Somebody is liable for damages here.
TerryAT likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Call your insurance on Monday. Even if your policy will cover it once you factor in your deductible and they prorate the tire for wear good luck getting anything. Too bad you weren’t there when they picked up the car, they would have had to fix it.

Steve R
I was there when they loaded and unloaded....the guy ran the strap through the wheels, back around the tire and ran the strap throuhg the hook

Would it be possible this guy cinched it down too tight and popped the tire? Takes a lot to break the bead.

Id guess it would have happend when he tightened it or could it have happened wtih the car rocking around?
Hoping for the best here

I doubt this would be covered as the transfer was sent electronicaly to DMV prior to the trip but not officiaiily registered to me yet.

To top it off I was told last night by the ex that I have no coverage so dont know if it ran out or if she pocketed the money (again) and never paid it in the first place. She has a bad habit of doing that, changing my contact info so Im none the wiser til its too late. Anyway....

Quote:

Last edited by cuisinartvette; Jul 12th, 20 at 11:45 AM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

Or file a complaint with AAA if they supplied the tow
I did...they said call the tow company they have one chance to resolve it. Right off the bat they got defensive and denied it...I never accused them of anything just informed them of the condition it arrived in.

AAA says they got cameras on the back of those trucks so they are gonna request a copy. What a pain in the azz...nothings simple. From this point on Im not supposed to speak to the tow company who is demon dialing me.

Quote:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 12:10 PM
Tech Team
Greg

What kind of reputable towing company straps down a car through the wheels.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 12:21 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Insurance rules & regulations are all state dependent.

In Massachusetts, each car is insured independently even if on the same policy, and you can't insure it until you own it. And if it isn't listed on the policy, it is not insured.
Steve also being a Bostonian I did put a binder on my Chevelle that was shipped up from PA. I only covered my purchase price. However like most states only a dealer with access to the DMV can transfer a plate to a new car. For example I can not take the plate off my daily driver and put it on my classic and drive it. That would be driving and uninsured and unregistered car. Many states do offer a temp plate to transfer your car back but your daily driver insurance will not cover it one bit. You will have to have a policy or binder on the new classic car. I doubt many states would just let an owner take off a plate and move it to another car legally unless done by a dealer where they transfer the registration.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 20, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Agreed - as you pointed out, you put insurance on the car *after* you bought it. You can’t insure a car in Massachusetts until you’ve actually bought it, and you have to actively go insure it with an insurance company before they will cover it (which is what you did with the binder.)

You do not have to register a car to insure it in Massachusetts, but you do have to insure a car in order to register it.

The beginning of this thread started with the premise/statement of insuring a car before you bought it, which is state dependent, and not allowed in Massachusetts (so I’ve been told by multiple insurance agencies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Steve also being a Bostonian I did put a binder on my Chevelle that was shipped up from PA. I only covered my purchase price. However like most states only a dealer with access to the DMV can transfer a plate to a new car. For example I can not take the plate off my daily driver and put it on my classic and drive it. That would be driving and uninsured and unregistered car. Many states do offer a temp plate to transfer your car back but your daily driver insurance will not cover it one bit. You will have to have a policy or binder on the new classic car. I doubt many states would just let an owner take off a plate and move it to another car legally unless done by a dealer where they transfer the registration.

1972 Chevelle, MJ 467, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 1:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
What kind of reputable towing company straps down a car through the wheels.
First time Ive seen that done, seemed like a lazy approach to me. Could he have made it so tight it popped the tire?
It only takes a minute to secure the car right! Im wondering, cause the front wheels were turned, if when he cranked the straps down it didnt yank something out of alignment.

Meantime Its going to cost a bundle to fix it all, doubt Ill see a penny back. So much for buying a cheap turn key driver. 3 cars, all of them down. lol

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in