Rivian R1T Testing In Arizona Desert - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DZAUTO

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 20, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Rivian R1T Testing In Arizona Desert

This is the first of the electric pickups that I have seen actually driving. I keep hoping that the Atlis Motors guys will show us what their truck will do, as I think it is the best looking out of all of them (and should be the most capable). But, here is the article (w/ video) on the Rivian:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...esert-testing/

P.S. Can the moderators please find out why every time I try to post a link to an article on CNET it says that the content is 'inappropriate'?? It has to be a glitch.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 7:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tim

Re: Rivian R1T Testing In Arizona Desert

I cant wait for Rivian to go public. I`ve been watching for the IPO.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what do you do when you are on a 1000mi trip and 300-400mi into yout trip, your battery runs down at 2am in the middle of no where?

Computer technology in vehicles has proven itself to me-----------------but elec vehicles have not.
Dean 1961 likes this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what do you do when you are on a 1000mi trip and 300-400mi into yout trip, your battery runs down at 2am in the middle of no where?
This is why I don't see myself ever owning an electric truck. When I NEED my truck, it's usually long trips (700+ miles) towing a trailer that cuts efficiency in half, and travelling through the night when traffic is light, temps are cool, and kids are asleep in the back seat.

An electric would be great for all the daily use when I drive my truck to work and back, but then again, a compact little hatchback 4cyl car would do just fine for 90% of that.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 1:16 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:

Computer technology in vehicles has proven itself to me-----------------but elec vehicles have not.
And what happens 300 miles middle of nowhere and you run out of fuel . You call a tow truck
These are like Tesla's not a vehicle you take cross country but use locally.

66 SS 396 4 speed
63 Avanti 4 speed with factory air
60 Tbird convertible
69 AMX 390 4 speed
02 Springer Softail
03 Fatboy gone
12 Road Glide Ultra gone
everyday driver 07 3500 Dodge Ram Quad cab with a Cummins
72 c20 Chevy
68 c20 steepside
77 Suburban.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:

This is why the Atlis pickup is much more attractive: 500 mile range, 15 minute charge time, and towing/hauling capacities that are FAR beyond any of the other electric pickups that are coming out. They are even offering a dually, with towing capacity up to 35,000 pounds (GCWR).

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/dually

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 5:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971-Chevelle View Post
This is why the Atlis pickup is much more attractive: 500 mile range, 15 minute charge time, and towing/hauling capacities that are FAR beyond any of the other electric pickups that are coming out. They are even offering a dually, with towing capacity up to 35,000 pounds (GCWR).

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/dually

What kind of battery can be charged to FULL capacity in 15min??????????????????

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 5:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
What kind of battery can be charged to FULL capacity in 15min??????????????????
https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/charging

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/battery

That is all we know at this point.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Right now Atlis is big on talk, short on details. When you go to their website, after reading all their info, you feel like you haven't learned anything about them. No real details on their battery technology. Their marketing approach is vastly different, with packaged annual costs for everything including insurance. Their focus is solely on pickups with no plans for passenger cars. Just wondering how they're gonna capitalize to actually get into production, and start selling vehicles.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 8:52 AM
Tech Team
David

Garage

Rivian isn't targeting the long haul driver, but the sportsman, outdoorsman. 3 foot wading depth. 100% of torque available at crawling speed. A motor at each wheel for max traction.

They've announced that they'll be building their own charging network around National Parks, Recreation Areas, and gateway towns (e.g. Moab, Utah). For those who have range anxiety, they also patented "Jerry Cans", which are small batteries with about 50 miles of range that plug into the bed. These will be treated like propane exchange tanks, so you can own your own or just "rent" them and instantly change them out at their charging network (and likely at everyone's else's charging networks).

72 El Camino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in