Modern Grand National - Yay Or Nay... - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 20, 8:54 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Re: Modern Grand National - Yay Or Nay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZAUTO View Post
I clearly understand that---------------------but my point is, how would it be if the same turbocharger technology were applied to a 350 or 454?
Why put it on a V6, why not put it on a real engine? Then you would REALLY have something!
Corporate mileage average. They needed to sell 4cyl and 6cyl cars to offset the gas guzzlers. A gnx driving moderately gave good gas milage

66 SS 396 4 speed
63 Avanti 4 speed with factory air
60 Tbird convertible
69 AMX 390 4 speed
02 Springer Softail
03 Fatboy gone
12 Road Glide Ultra gone
everyday driver 07 3500 Dodge Ram Quad cab with a Cummins
72 c20 Chevy
68 c20 steepside
77 Suburban.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Why?... because it wouldn't have sold well. In '87 people were more concerned in fuel economy than in cubic inches. Sadly, the days of the 454 (and more) engines are over.

Claude.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, OK, I see------------I guess that's why I replaced the tired 350 in the 51 Chevy with a built 2x4 389.
And that's why I built a W30 spec 455(468) for the Cutlass.

No, brute power from big displacement engines are not over in this neck of the woods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51 under hood.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	631258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2160.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	631260   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1022.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	631262  

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Fact is, the Buick GN's turbo V6 was faster than ALL of the other "brute power from big displacement engines" available, given the Federally mandated fuel economy and emissions standards at the time.

The huge leap in collector value of those cars in the last ~5 years would suggest that the Gen-X'ers who grew up in the 80s desire them as much as the Boomers love their big block muscle.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 12:19 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, OK, I see------------I guess that's why I replaced the tired 350 in the 51 Chevy with a built 2x4 389.

No, brute power from big displacement engines are not over in this neck of the woods.
There will always be big block big cubic engines for our cars . I'm presently putting a Mark Jones 496 in my 66.

But Toofastforyou was pointing out no new cars will be 454 or anywhere near that displacement . Why would they when you can get 6 to 700hp out of a sub 400ci engine and get 25 mpg

66 SS 396 4 speed
63 Avanti 4 speed with factory air
60 Tbird convertible
69 AMX 390 4 speed
02 Springer Softail
03 Fatboy gone
12 Road Glide Ultra gone
everyday driver 07 3500 Dodge Ram Quad cab with a Cummins
72 c20 Chevy
68 c20 steepside
77 Suburban.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:

That is YOU. Not the manufacturer. YOU don't have to answer to fed govt regulation. What you do with it after you purchase it is your choice (within reason of course - it still has to meet whatever requirements that make it "road legal"). The mfg doesn't have that luxury. They have to meet MPG, emissions, and crash worthiness standards by LAW. Every engine must be EPA certified for the platform it goes into. That is not a cheap or trivial process. That's one of the main drivers why GM dropped having dozens of engine models across every brand and standardized on a few "corporate" platforms (predominantly Chevy). That's why the big V8s disappeared from passenger cars in the 70's as soon as the earliest emissions requirements went into effect. That's why even the beloved 350 gave way to the 267 and 305 (a friend had a '78 Malibu with the 267 - it was slower than my '93 Gutless Supreme 3.1v6!).

Besides.... many of us live where the roads aren't straight as an arrow and flat as pancakes and having less weight up front makes for a more enjoyable spirited drive around the twisties.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 2:30 PM
Tech Team
John

Garage

I had the opportunity to buy a new Grand National in 1987 but instead went with a Firebird Formula. A few years later, I took a GN for a test ride and i was shocked over how fast it was. I bought a used 86 GN and did a total restoration adding a few performance pieces along the way. I became friends with most of the other GN owners in town and we would work on each others cars and discuss ways to make them faster. Running in the 11s was no big deal. When my GN was done, it was fast and the sound the turbo made spooling up was incredible. Unfortunately, mine was stolen and so were four of my friend's GNs. Only one got his back.
mr 4 speed and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 3:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

I had a 1984 GN in 1985-86. It was the 1st year for them and they had a few differences. They had 10 spoke alum wheels that I think looked better than the later chrome wheels and had better looking seats with cloth and leather centers. It was a lot of fun to drive but hard to handle in the snow. Everyone knew what a Monte SS was but no one knew what a GN was. I always had to argue with people that is was a Buick. This pic is not the one I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img0469-1526776246782@2x.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	631264  

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 9:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Yay or nay?

That thing is pure ugly!

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 10:46 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I think it's sharp. I would give it garage space if it doesn't end up being a 60K + car.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Yes I would consider buying one. Always been a fan of the Grand National and GNX.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 3:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Nice concept, GM probably is as willing to build this as well as a new El Camino, and sell it at a reasonable price....sure,....fairy dust. Got to drive a 87 GN, very impressed, strong medicine, now that I could afford to buy one, they gave up making them. Have to respect a good running turbo car, quiet, doesn't draw John Law out of the donut shop like the sound of a 500+ CID BBC at full song will. For now, guess I'll have to be satisfied with my BBC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in