Team Chevelle banner

Wife found pictures of our 68 Lincoln

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  bikeron 
#1 ·
The wife was going through photos (looking for a specific one), and came upon these and I realized I had forgotten all about this car.

Around 15 years ago a client had me do work for their business, and when I was done he said he couldn't pay me (invoice was like 5k). Needless to say I was a bit angry (knowing he couldn't pay me, but had me do the work anyways).

My wife and I surmised he had concocted this idea and he sprung it on me when he said he didn't have the money to pay. He said he had a 68 Lincoln in nice shape and asked if I wanted the car (I didn't want it, I wanted the cash). I told him I wanted the cash, and he said, "Make me an offer", and knowing I didn't want it, I low balled him and offered 3k. He immediately said ok, and gave me a check for 2k (even though he said he didn't have the money), and gave me the title and car. The wife was not happy (neither was I at the time).

And so I registered it, and we decided to "enjoy it" for a little while and cruise with the kids in the back (they were younger at the time), and boy did the kids enjoy going for ice cream on Saturday nights at Dairy Queen and they enjoyed the people who would stare and comment how it was a nice car.

Fast forward 3 years later, and these were the pictures I took when I listed the car for sale. I sold it for 8k and walked away with a smile (made money on the whole deal).

Here are the pics....

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
My mom's Taxi was a similar 67 4 door Lincoln, light green with black vinyl top . However it had a 462 ci motor (not a 460). Most memorable to me (I was a little child like 3-10 years old) were the thickness of those doors. And the little clock in front of the passenger and the weird speedometer and 8 track player playing "SOund of Music" and "Snoopy and Red Baron" tapes for the kids, Simon and Garfunkel for her...It had a low speed in the front from it slipping into gear while at my dads gas station in San Carlos and hitting the workbench in front. Ever since then mom got another car and dad left the Lincoln at the station . Mufflers eventually rotted out and I got to drive it at 16 over the San Mateo Bridge basically open exhaust flooring it and thinking I was A J Foyt...A the good years.

#17 ·
The thrill was gone (never really wanted the car in the first place), and I was having a house built (the first of three retirement homes we built) and needed money for all the extras the wife kept picking out.

#18 ·
The wife was reminding me, in the 3 years we owned the Lincoln, we put less than 900 miles on it. It was more a novelty having the car, and it only got used like twice a month (5 miles to get ice cream and 5 miles home).

#19 ·
I almost bought one from a really good friend back in 79, all black but a painted roof, leather interior, I dont remeber what year it was but it had suicide doors and a big azz motor lol, he only wanted $200 and it ran and looked great but I needed a work truck so bought a 58 stepside small rear window truck with a 66 327 for $400, I still like those "Kennedy" suicide door Lincolns with the Tbird thermometer style speedos 👍

#28 ·
That was a pretty sleazy, slimy move on his part. Glad you were able to make out on the deal in the end!

Just curious, you mentioned it was a 460, another poster mentioned their's was a 462. Did both exist? Anyone know the lineage of the big Ford/Lincoln engines? I would have guessed that in '68 it would be the 429 but this shows I would have been wrong. Time for a google search on the Ford FE engines.

#29 ·
It was really sleazy (never did business with him again because of it), and he kept asking. The wife was pretty mad (as was I).

I can't say if there was both (I never checked), but it said 460 on the air cleaner. I just looked myself and apparently there was both. From what I read here there was both (as it mentions in the article).

#32 ·
Sweet!

My first car, at age 15 in 1978, was a 64 Lincoln - suicide doors, power-everything, super cool car. Paid $500 for it, and it looked and ran well. I would love to have another mid-60's Lincoln, but from what I read they are VERY expensive to restore and drive.

#33 ·
I wouldn't know about restoring one (cost wise), I got this one already done. I only maintained it (had it professionally detailed for the pictures before I sold it though). Cost to drive, yes, it was expensive. Insurance was cheap (like $130 a year), but the gas it gulped was horrendous. I'd have to put gas in it every two months, and I only drove it usually every other weekend to get ice cream with the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.