LS6 Long Term Investment - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

LS6 Long Term Investment

Like many of you, I keep my cars long term.

While I think that I know the answer here, would like to get input from others here.

As I am an El Camino guy having owned one of one type of another going back 45 years and I am always poking around to see what I can find in the EC world.

Through a friend of mine, I have found a 2nd owner, numbers matching, rotisserie restored LS6 El Camino complete with all of normal documentation including tank sheet, PoP, etc.

As we all know, there are no cheap LS6s in any form/fashion.

I would not buy this as a driver, just an occasional car show now and then.

What are you guys thoughts about purchasing a car such as this for a long term investment?

Appreciate all inputs.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 1:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: LS6 Long Term Investment

Always a risk esp if you pay top buck now.
what group are going to be interested in 10 20 yrs, market?
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 1:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Cars like you are describing will always have significant value, though they will not be immune to market fluctuations and trends. Whether it will be a good long term investment can’t be answered, one thing I wouldn't do is go off of any preexisting price guides or past auction results.

Steve R
IFLY and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 3:25 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

I don't know of very many people out there who have made any meaningful return by buying a restored car. Stocks and bonds make better investments than cars and collectables, IMO.

That said, if you have the money and you like the car, buy it if it makes you happy.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

El Caminos are the KATZ MEOW! I never thought about a long term investment, It just turned out that way. I do believe any El Camino with a NON run of the mill driveline will always be worth a buck.
A 100% Stock & Org. El Camino with a numbers matching solid lifter engine or an LS-5 Engine is a nice item to have. I look at it this way as far as my ( ordered LS-5/M-22) Camino. In the last 15-20 years, Because I have one, I started looking for LS-5 and LS-6 El Caminos. I do know of THREE LS-6 El Caminos. Vic Edelbrock-T-400- Gray--A guy at MCACN Blue--Tom Rightler restored a Gray one. I am still looking for a Stock/ Org. LS-5/ M-22.
I guess I do not get out that much to see the LS-5s & LS-6 El Caminos.
A lot of people like 70s, SOOOOoooooo I would guess again a numbers matching BIG BLOCK 70 Chevelle/Camino/Sprint and other G.M. " A " bodys.
I always ask myself: How many people do I know that have a LS-5/LS-6 El Camino. How many LS-5/6s El Caminos do you see period?
If you like them fine, If you do not ,Thats also fine. My two 70s are for fun.
I never thought about my toys as a money maker, Life is a one way street, Enjoy the Hell out of it !
Bob
P.S. Super Sport El Caminos used ONLY the 13680 body. NO El Camino built by Chevrolet has boxed lower arms and a sway bar. All 1970 Z-15/Z-25 Super Sports did not have F-41 Suspension. 1970 El Camino Super Sports Z-15/Z-25s had F-40 suspension.
IFLY likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 4:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

cars with solid documentation with born with blocks you might break even or make money is a few years. questionable cars not so much
IFLY likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 5:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Talking Re: LS6 Long Term Investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLY View Post

While I think that I know the answer here, would like to get input from others here.

As I am an El Camino guy having owned one of one type of another going back 45 years and I am always poking around to see what I can find in the EC world.

Through a friend of mine, I have found a 2nd owner, numbers matching, rotisserie restored LS6 El Camino complete with all of normal documentation including tank sheet, PoP, etc.

What are you guys thoughts about purchasing a car such as this for a long term investment?

Appreciate all inputs.
As you say: "...there are no cheap LS6s...", so that would put you on an uphill battle from the get-go as an "investment". If it's going to make you happy, you should buy it. If you'd break even after a while, dollars -and-cents-wise, considering the overhead of owning such an attractive ride; you'd still be winner...cuz it's made you happy!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 6:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I don't know, I don't care, and I'm not interested in a car for its value, or its perceived value.
YES, ABSOLUTELY, it would be nice to have some rare, desirable, high value cars. First, I cannot afford them. Second, I would have to drive them.
In 1973 I bought the 56 Corvette and did a TOTAL frame off, plus several upgrades. It was a pure show queen---------------AND IT WAS NO FUN BECAUSE I HAD TO KEEP IT INSIDE AND PROTECTED!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY, a little at a time, I began to drive it and discovered how cool it was.

So after all these years, I have more cars--------AND I DRIVE, AND I SOMETIMES GET A THRILL FROM ABUSING THEM! Value is a NON issue for me.
Our 70 conv is just a Malibu, but except for the engine, which is not a killer BB, but a healthy SB400, The M22W whines, it now has virtually everything that would be on an SS454. Starts quick, runs great. It is a go anywhere, any time car. Starts and runs great, air cond blows cold on R12. It pulls the jet boat to the lake and everything works just like NOS. And it gets thumbs up anywhere we go in it.
Nope, I don't care about value. Functionality, dependability and practicality are what is important.

What will it be worth in 10-20years? I could care less!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1193.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	628986   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2881.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	628988   Click image for larger version

Name:	CHEVELLEABRATION_2010_PLUS_MORE_264[1].JPG
Views:	28
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	628990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0522_zpsjzexpzf1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	628992  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Making a pass at CB.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	628994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nvillespdway2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	628996   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1599.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	628998  
Georgia69, bry66 and jeff swisher like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 7:32 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

I'm a CPA by profession and once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I see people make and lose money every day. Below are my two cents:

Buy an LS-6 because YOU love the car, YOU have always wanted one, and the car will make YOU happy.

Do NOT buy the car b/c you think it will be a "good investment".

Do NOT buy the car expecting ANY appreciation.

Contrary to what you see on TV, cars are bad investment 95% or so of the time.....from a purely financial perspective.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a rare or High End Muscle Car. But I wouldn't do so expecting to make meaningful money on it.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 7:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
I'm a CPA by profession and once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I see people make and lose money every day. Below are my two cents:

Buy an LS-6 because YOU love the car, YOU have always wanted one, and the car will make YOU happy.

Do NOT buy the car b/c you think it will be a "good investment".

Do NOT buy the car expecting ANY appreciation.

Contrary to what you see on TV, cars are bad investment 95% or so of the time.....from a purely financial perspective.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a rare or High End Muscle Car. But I wouldn't do so expecting to make meaningful money on it.

I'm surprised you even own an old car, being a CPA. But I guess you're allowed to have hobbies too ! I would never buy a car expecting to make money. Although we've done well with the Bronco. My wife bought it for 20K about 14 years ago, it's now valued at 56K. But it's not for sale and probably never will be. Just have to keep tabs on value to make sure insurance coverage is adequate. As others have mentioned, buy the car because it will bring you joy. If you happen to make money when it sells, that's just icing on the cake. Hobbies are about enjoyment, not making money.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

1969 Beaumont

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 20, 10:04 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
I'm surprised you even own an old car, being a CPA. But I guess you're allowed to have hobbies too
What do you think keeps me sane?

That and fishing, really.
Steve R, Chris27 and shovelrick like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 9:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLY View Post

Appreciate all inputs.
Cars are a terrible investment. Buy one because you enjoy owning it, but don’t have any expectation of it appreciating in value. If you have money you want to invest, open a brokerage account instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

All about if you can get it at the right price originally.I paid 32000 for an mostly original numbers matching,documented ls5,rust free when the economy went to crap 10 years ago.Im in canada and hagerty value now is 70000.our Canadian dollar was worth 1.08 then ,now its 67 ish.You have to be right time ,right place,right money.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 10:15 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I would not buy any highly desirable and rare car if it was anywhere near its market price. I would feel like a caretaker and don’t want that responsibility. That means I will never have one.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 20, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all of the inputs guys.

I am keenly aware that when compared to a properly diverse stock portfolio, car investments suck at the normal Chevelle, EC level.

At the end of the day, I am just not that emotionally involved with an LS6 EC to lay out almost 6 figures for it. At $75k I would be very interested. At $100k not so much.

Will keep shopping while keeping other options open including the elusive 69 396 L89 EC.

Thanks again guys. Be safe out there.
shovelrick likes this.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in