so what do you use a generator for? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
so what do you use a generator for?

one of my yardsale scores this weekend was a yamaha ef2800 generator. original tank was rusted thru, they stuck a plastic tank on it, i added gas and it fired up. went and fired it up today and it runs even better.
So what do I use it for? take it on the next camp trip, maybe stick a window ac in the tent? I got it cheap enough($50), probably could double my.money. but hate to sell it and find a use for one. last generator I picked up , gave it to the kids incase they had another 3 day power outage, they sold it when they moved and never used it. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed 3.31 12 bolt posi
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 454-th400 3.07 12 bolt
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt and a newly added 142 wieand blower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Re: so what do you use a generator for?

I use my generator to provide electrical power.

Sorry, couldn't help from being a smart alack

Take one to the track for charging, lights, compressor, etc... (Yamaha 2k suitcase, very quite)

Live out in the sticks, so I have a bigger one for back up power (well pump, fridge, freezer & lights).

Find other occasional and oddball uses over the years.
Chris27, bry66 and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Also, camper has a built in. Handy for cooling off before, during & after
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

My rich buddy has his house hooked up to use a generator when the grid fails. It always sounds like a good idea, but I never have enough extra cash laying around to "upgrade" for something that "will never" happen.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
My rich buddy has his house hooked up to use a generator when the grid fails. It always sounds like a good idea, but I never have enough extra cash laying around to "upgrade" for something that "will never" happen.

We have occasional power losses, usually very short but hours (had an 7 hour event last year) and even days have been known to happen but not for several years (usually along with a big storm). My house set up is low buck; smoking deal on an as new but used 8k gen and just cords for now. A manual transfer box is really pretty inexpensive (~200) and a propane carb would really make my set up easy and low maintenance.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 11:10 PM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Very timely post!!! My generator is hooked up to my Super M humming away as we speak due to a storm that went through 3 hours ago. Trees down, lines down. Enough wind to tip a semi over on the state hyway across the field from us.

1970 Chevelle
505 Promaxx 317 Heads
Straub Custom HR
Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 Fuel Injection
670hp/610tq
700R4 2.84 Gearset FTI Converter
Moser 12 bolt 33 Spline Axles 3.73 Gears
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

When I lived on the farm, we'd lose power for three days at a time so I ended up with a couple. When I bought this house I installed an outdoor tap, and got all set up. In the sixteen years I've been in this house, I think the longest we went without power was four hours. I start them up every now and again to keep them ready to go, but honestly, I hope to never need them. I guess if I wanted to take my welder somewhere remote I could do it. Naa, too much work, screw that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

I live on an island and it's pretty much a given we're gonna be down occasionally, so standby power is important. I run a 30kw liquid cooled, propane Kohler with a good transfer switch. Makes it seamless. I also have a couple portables for helping on the jobsite or getting power to a customers' boiler or furnace in the winter when the grid goes down.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 6:14 AM
Tech Team

As I live in FL and are subject to hurricane activity and when that occurs, we lose power for days on end.

Many years ago when this first happened and losing power for 5 straight days, we lost every bit of chilled/frozen food in our house. I then purchased a generator that has enough capacity to power my entire home minus the a/c. But, have a window unit in the bedroom for these circumstances.

It is very advisable for anyone that lives at or near the SE US coast to have a generator if for nothing else, hurricane season.

Jax, FL

69 SS 396 El Camino
Numbers Match
(Resto began 7-17)
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 7:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Just like the above post, Hurricanes!, I have portable 5,800 watt gen that'll run our small chest freezer, our 18 cu. ft. fridge, a portable a/c, 1 big tv and lights & fans without any problem, one thing I was told by a Duke energy lineman is that if they hear a generator running they wont turn power on to your house unless you shut the gen off, I asked the guy do you guys knock on doors? he said sometimes but it's best to watch for us, our power was down 3 days after Irma and finding gas to run the gen got to be a real PITA but we didn't run out
IFLY likes this.

post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

I have an inverter hooked to batteries in my car It is 2000 watt continuous.
I can run my mig welder with it and a window unit.
On jobs I do where electric is not close I just plug into the inverter.

Drill and chop saw can be used at the same time.

My son used it in his Moore Oklahoma house for 2 weeks after the last Tornado went through.
I gave him a spare battery which it was hooked to and he ran jumper cables to his Ford Festiva.
7 gallons of gas used in 2 weeks. Only needed to run the car when the other battery got low and you would notice the power shut off on the inverter. So not a constant running vehicle.

It powered his fridge and gas furnace (electric blower) and all his entertainment center so he had his video games.
And kept the fish tank going.. he was most worried about the fish than anything else.

When I read the post i thought you got a car generator.
I was thinking you made a wind powered generator from it to charge a pack of batteries and hook an inverter to it to power things.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 8:31 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Yes, when you live outside the city limits, you are the last to get power back. The first time my wife could not flush the toilet without electricity, yes, get us a generator. Louisiana is facing a hurricane the end of this week and it won't be a hurricane by the time it gets to me but will bring lots of wind and t-storms.

My big gennie is 13 kw gas or propane that can run the well pump, fridge, freezer and the remainder of the house for many days though I usually would install a small window unit AC in the bedroom if we are going to be down a while - saves fuel. I use a manual transfer switch to isolate the house from the grid and have two other smaller generators for backup use. Picked these up for cheap.

I completely and totally only use no ethanol gasoline in my generators. Never had a carburetor problem and years later, they crank up with ease.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
jeff swisher and shovelrick like this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 9:15 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

Around here, a lot of people have them in their garage "just in case". In reality, that means storing it in a corner in the very back of the garage underneath a pile of stuff, and swearing and getting frustrated when we get a power outage because the thing is full of old gas and hasn't been run for three or four years and now it won't start. When our wives finally convince us that we never use them and they're just taking up space in the garage, we list them for sale for $50

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 9:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Hurricanes and Ice Storms. We are at the end of the line and are the last ones to be turned back on.
Looking for an inverter generator for the RV, want to be able to "boondock" in the middle of nowhere. Solar is fine but does not work well in the woods.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 12:06 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Being country people we are hind tit on the power grid. Our house has a manual transfer switch. The system powers the forced air furnace, some lights, tv, computer, freezer, refer. Started with a 2000w inverter generator but if the freezer kicked on when the refer and heater were running the overload protector kicked off. Upgraded to 3500w inverter and all is good.
Keep it full of Sta-bil laced gas in its own corner. With an outside connector it takes 2 min to roll outside, plug-in and flip the breaker.
It gets new fuel yearly.
shovelrick likes this.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in