Harbor Freight Jackstands recalled!! - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Harbor Freight Jackstands recalled!!

I just saw this while looking at the Jeep wagoneer post. I would never trust my life to Harbor Freight, but if you have these jackstands, dont use them!!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...of-collapsing/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 12:46 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Harbor Freight Jackstands recalled!!

Thanks, I may have a set. Its just another way the Chinese are trying to kill us.

Steve R
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 1:45 AM
Ed

Good tools not cheap
Cheap tools not good

Any tool that has the potential to kill you should not say made in China on it! Just not worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 3:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I actually got a email from Harbor Freight today because I bought some a few years back. I have to check the numbers on them to see if they're the ones I bought. Maybe I got lucky because I haven't got around to using them yet.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 7:13 AM
Team Member

I use jack stands just to take a bit of weight off during winter storage. Dont crawl under the car much anymore but if I did it would be supported on good old North American 6x6 and 2x6 wood. Definitely not bamboo. I will have to check the ones I use though, they likely say made in China. Thanks for the heads up.

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 7:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

ANY jack stand can fail.

A jack stand should never be you're only form of safety, support.

I always place something else under the vehicle I am working on, wood, rim etc.

We have some very expensive jack stands at the shop and I've had one drop a tooth, the next one caught it.
ZZ69chevelle, TerryAT, blm and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 8:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

For some reason this laptop I'm on wont open any links "Navagation Cancelled" I have 2 diff 3 ton sets from Chinka Freight could someone post the part #'s pls? wonder if they'll give a refund W/O receipt? probably not
RoadRamblerNJ likes this.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 8:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
For some reason this laptop I'm on wont open any links "Navagation Cancelled" I have 2 diff 3 ton sets from Chinka Freight could someone post the part #'s pls? wonder if they'll give a refund W/O receipt? probably not
Here's the email they sent me.IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

May 19, 2020

NHTSA Campaign I.D. Numbers: 20E-016 and 20E-027

Dear Sir or Madam,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harbor Freight Tools (HFT) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (models 61196 or 56371) and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (model 61197). Our records reflect that you purchased at least one of these pairs of Jack Stands.

What is the Condition?

For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property. As a precautionary measure, we request that you discontinue use of the jack stand(s) identified below immediately.

Jack Stands included in this recall campaign include:

Item Number

Item Description

Sale Date Range

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

January 2013 to March 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

March 2020 to April 2020

Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand

June 2013 to March 2020

No other Item Numbers are involved in this recall. The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand.

The 56371 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the label on the top of each jack stand.

What will Harbor Freight Tools do?

To all customers who participate in the Recall by returning their pairs of 3 Ton or 6 Ton Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and/or 61197, Harbor Freight Tools will provide a gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased. Along with providing the gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased, Harbor Freight Tools is providing a 20% one-time use coupon; see bottom of this notification. This coupon may be used toward the purchase of new jack stands, or toward the purchase of any other item in the store not subject to the coupon limitations. To use, customers must hand the coupon to the store cashier to scan.

What should you do?

Following the lifting of any applicable Shelter At Home Orders, please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 56371, 61196, or 61197, to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax). You do NOT need to provide a receipt; you only need to return your pair of Jack Stands. Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com.

Customer Service Help:

If you believe that you returned your jack stands and the store failed to provide you with a gift card within a reasonable period of time, please contact:

[email protected]

Harbor Freight Tools
Attn: Customer Service
P.O. Box 6010
Camarillo, CA 93011-6010
800-444-3353

If you still believe that HFT failed to remedy the issue described above without charge and within 60 days of the date of this notice, you may file a complaint with:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE,
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Thank you for being a Harbor Freight Tools customer.

We regret this inconvenience but hope you understand that our concern for your safety is paramount.

Sincerely,

Harbor Freight Tools

20% off Coupon

Harbor Freight Tools | 26541 Agoura Rd. | Calabasas, CA 91302 | Unsubscribe

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 8:48 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Part numbers 56371, 61196, 61197. Recall says take them back and you'll get a gift card for the cost of the jackstands.

I have some HF jackstands, but I guess they are way too old to fit into the recall. I've had one pair for probably close to 40 years.
HKalin likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

Last edited by Rich-L79; May 20th, 20 at 9:04 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 9:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Thanks Hank, I'd of been pecking for a week typing that, gift card for the amount and if you want purchase again lol, No Thanks
HKalin likes this.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Thanks for posting. Just checked my 3 Ton Horror Freights and they are #38846. I have some Craftsman as well. I don't trust any of them and always have blocks of oak and a floor jack as backup support. Crushed by my Chevelle is not the way I plan on leaving this earth...
davewho1 likes this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 9:40 AM
Team Member
Ken

I just checked and the four 6 ton jack stands I bought from Harbor Freight have different serial numbers than the ones listed.Bought them about 9-10 months ago.
We always put blocks or a wheel and tire under the vehicle and a jack also.
You can't be too safe.
davewho1 likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
ANY jack stand can fail.

A jack stand should never be you're only form of safety, support.

I always place something else under the vehicle I am working on, wood, rim etc.

We have some very expensive jack stands at the shop and I've had one drop a tooth, the next one caught it.
Two is one and one is none.

I leave the jack under the car with a little bit of tension on it just in case.
fishhead and RoadRamblerNJ like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 11:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

I have their 3 ton, 6 ton, and 12 ton. The three ton stands are good for rear end storage, maybe under the rear when the car is on the six ton stands for extra support, but I'd never use them to support a car by themselves. Lawn mower, maybe, car, hell no. The six ton stands are fine without extending them, if they aren't high enough, I use the twelve ton stands and don't extend them. I don't care who makes them, I don't like being under there with any jack stand hanging on the pawl. Call me paranoid. I have the old Blitz made Rhino ramps, and usually put those under the tires while it's up if I can. If not, a wheel or ramp under the frame. I'm still a little leery of my Quickjack and use jack stands and ramps if I'm going under the car. The point is, stuff fails, not just Harbor Freight stuff. Jacks, lifts, stands, blocks of wood, whatever. It's always dangerous working on cars, so don't be careless and take anything for granted.
davewho1 likes this.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

I'll bet that these same jackstands were sold under different brand names. Chinese manufacturers (as well as others) routinely do this. Any reseller that wants their own brand name on a product can have it, and it often releases or reduces the maker's warranty responsibility for it.

The Harbor Freight floor jacks can be found under many brand names.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in