Engine Dyno Vs. Chassis Dyno - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 5:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Engine Dyno Vs. Chassis Dyno

Here is a comparison between the two:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/test...chassis-dynos/

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 5:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Engine Dyno Vs. Chassis Dyno

Pretty good article. However the track does not lie.
jeff swisher and Kirk's67SS like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

. “All runs were on 91-octane unleaded "California" pump premium gas, corrected using the SAE J607 performance-industry standard factor (roughly equivalent to the old-school muscle car "gross horsepower" rating method, it generates numbers roughly 4-percent higher than SAE J1349 net hp, the rating method in use for late-mode”

The same correction Skip White Performance uses, gee imagine this ! Hahaha
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 6:30 PM
Gold Member

This is a good example of how intake and exhaust systems can kill a good engine. On the engine dyno the torque curve is flat from 3500 to 4700 and on the chassis dyno it shows decreasing torque. The breathing of the engine is badly affected by the in-car hardware.
So a good engine can be hurt by the choice of stuff in the car.
Derek69SS and jeff swisher like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 7:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
. ďAll runs were on 91-octane unleaded "California" pump premium gas, corrected using the SAE J607 performance-industry standard factor (roughly equivalent to the old-school muscle car "gross horsepower" rating method, it generates numbers roughly 4-percent higher than SAE J1349 net hp, the rating method in use for late-modeĒ

The same correction Skip White Performance uses, gee imagine this ! Hahaha

Here we go again
77 cruiser and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Best final tuning device was never a dyno. Best development tool for new parts, systems is an engine/chassis dyno.

As oldcutlass said above, the BEST dyno is "The Seat Of The Pants" dyno, that is one where you go drive it, change it, and see if it helped.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 8:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

The engine shop that assembled my balanced rotating assemble from Wolfplace has a new dyno and will spend an afternoon with me & my 489 for $500 or there's another shop local that has a chassis dyno for 3 pulls for $75 but no tuning that's extra, would I be wasting $500 with the engine dyno??

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 8:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
The engine shop that assembled my balanced rotating assemble from Wolfplace has a new dyno and will spend an afternoon with me & my 489 for $500 or there's another shop local that has a chassis dyno for 3 pulls for $75 but no tuning that's extra, would I be wasting $500 with the engine dyno??
What is there to tune ?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 9:10 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
What is there to tune ?
A carb and a distributor, most likely...........

Another stellar post.
77 cruiser likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 9:18 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Relative to either dyno, a track:

1) has changes in weather, temperature, humidity, etc. over the course of a day/evening

2) often has inconsistent prep work (ie - how much sticky stuff is down)

3) relies on the driver's ability to launch the car, change gears, etc

4) will give different MPH and ET for the same car based on how much fuel, water, driver weight, etc. is in/on the car at a given time

The track is more fun.....but the science, analysis, etc is all done better on a dyno.

The butt dyno is one of the worst measurements.....especially for the Kardashians.

It is exponentially easier to tune a carb and a distributor on a chasis dyno where everything that I've mentioned in points 1-4 has been eliminated.

For example, it's MUCH faster to change jets and other carb parts when actually getting an AFR reading from a computer.....then trying to figure why Pass A was better than Pass B, which wasn't as good as Pass C.

Money spent on a chasis dyno is some of the best money you'll ever spend in this sport/hobby....and a massive time saver.
67_LS1 and Derek69SS like this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 9:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
I don't think you'd be wasting money. Then engine will be run in, check for oil leaks, plus you'll have a dyno sheet to showoff on TC.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 9:34 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

FWIW, I think going to the Chasis Dyno is a blast.
77 cruiser likes this.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 20, 9:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
FWIW, I think going to the Chasis Dyno is a blast.
It is. Listening to your engine on an engine dyno is a blast too.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 20, 8:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Not at all. In addition to being cool as hell to watch and listen too, what I got from my dyno session was an initial run up, break in, check for knocks, leaks, timing, A/F mixture tuning (idle and throughout the RPM range at WOT), EGT, coolent temp, and a host of other things that they will (should) check as they go through it. The biggest benefit however is doing this before it goes in between the fenderwells.

Having never witnessed a dyno run in real life, and having the usual "nerves" at the first start up (i.e. "I hope I did everything right!"), the wildest part for me was hearing the dyno load down the engine on the first pull. It just sounds angry like the mechanical equivalent of a giant Clydesdale and 2000 lbs of muscle hunkering against a pulling harness. That engine just grunts for all it's worth until the dyno lets it climb through the pull. I had a great time.

Quote:
What is there to tune ?
Everything one would normally tune on an engine with the added benefit of seeing how it affects your power and torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
I don't think you'd be wasting money. Then engine will be run in, check for oil leaks, plus you'll have a dyno sheet to showoff on TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
It is. Listening to your engine on an engine dyno is a blast too.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.

-Kevin
1965 Chevy Biscayne
<removed> 454cid, "peanut ports", Voodoo 60201
<coming soon> 460cid, Brodix RRO 270, 229/241 Hydraulic Roller
TH400, 3.36 Stock Rearend
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 20, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'm probably going to do both then, the chassis dyno without them touching the motor is $75 for 3 pulls which IMO is cheap to find out the loss from the drive train, there's a local 1/8th mile strip that I haven't been on since the late 70's maybe early 80's I'm thinking of going there but everyone local says don't waste your time go to Bradenton 1/4 mi. track it's a much better track, John at the engine shop just had a new dyno installed about 2 months ago that gives more info than his old dyno, he said he needed a little time to get to know it so by the time I'm ready he should be familiar with it, if he's open for business

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in