USA Open for Business - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
USA Open for Business

They have been talking about this all day on TV.

But what does "Reopen the Country" mean?

If people are afraid to fly, shop in the mall, sit next to other people in a restaurant, are broke,

and still hiding under their beds, why talk about it?

I get the idea of giving people hope, but what reopens besides the Barbershop?

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: USA Open for Business

A/C business hasn't stopped around here, I had to but I'm probably thee only one
427L88 likes this.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

I'm working now and have contracts to keep me busy for several months, but I don't really expect there to be a lot of construction work to do in a year when the current work is all done. The long-term effects on the economy are going to be bad IMHO.

The only good thing is the stir-crazy people who have been cooped up will want to go out and do things when they can, so there will be a short-term boost in a lot of sectors.
427L88 likes this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's

-
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

We're still both working with no signs of slowing down, even after a confirmed case where I work yesterday. Gotta keep that money rolling in to make someone else's dreams come true. I shouldn't complain. I had off all last summer.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
We're still both working with no signs of slowing down, even after a confirmed case where I work yesterday. Gotta keep that money rolling in to make someone else's dreams come true. I shouldn't complain. I had off all last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
I'm working now and have contracts to keep me busy for several months, but I don't really expect there to be a lot of construction work to do in a year when the current work is all done. The long-term effects on the economy are going to be bad IMHO.

The only good thing is the stir-crazy people who have been cooped up will want to go out and do things when they can, so there will be a short-term boost in a lot of sectors.
Work has always been good therapy.

Wife and I still got our business open and making enough to pay the bills, thank goodness.

Derek, you're right. We got o long road back to economic stability. I hope it's forgot about like every other tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
A/C business hasn't stopped around here, I had to but I'm probably thee only one
There goes that inheritance.
shovelrick likes this.

Mike

My

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

MCACN Gold
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 2:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I plan to resume my normal life as soon as businesses and public places are re-opened. Can't live in fear - just take reasonable precautions and go do what I like to do.

I have been able to work 100% from home, and my wife's position was deemed critical, so we haven't been impacted much financially. I can't help but think that all those in favor of indefinite lockdown is a different sub-set of citizens from those who have been put out of work by all this.

Georgia currently has 8,500 confirmed cases out of a population of 10.5 million. That's about one COVID-19 case per every 1,200 residents, by my math.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

Last edited by Georgia69; Apr 7th, 20 at 2:35 PM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 2:55 PM
Team Member
Kevin

I'm lucky as I already work from home (my wife handles all the invoicing for our companies) and we've only had 1 client ask for a reprieve.

I believe that most people (including myself), have had enough of the restrictions and we want to continue living and will accept the risks if we go out.

It's one thing to abide by laws "for the good of the people" (which we've been doing), but when that no longer serves the good of the people, it's time to move on AND LIVE.

If God punches your ticket, there is no debating or whining, you're getting on the train.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Out of curiosity, how soon would you be comfortable to jump on a plane if your wifey says "Honey, let's take a trip somewhere" ?

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 3:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I've told my wife if this isn't under control by the beginning of May I'm going back to work anyway and figure it out as I go, I'm sick of yard work that doesn't pay anything
TerryAT, 0069SS and kmakar like this.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 3:33 PM
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Out of curiosity, how soon would you be comfortable to jump on a plane if your wifey says "Honey, let's take a trip somewhere" ?
I wouldn't, I don't like to fly. I traveled (flew nationwide) for work for years and I still hate flying, but understanding your intent, I'd say (close proximity with other humans), maybe September/October.

I believe Covid 19 will be cyclical, and will be back around before the end of the year.
shovelrick likes this.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 3:45 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Hasn't been warm enough around here yet and lots of spring check ups to do but most customers want to wait so other than emergency furnace and plumbing calls everything is pretty slow.

When it gets hot, there will probably be a waiting list.
shovelrick likes this.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 4:04 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Quote:
Ha, she may actually take a ride in the Chevelle with me for once, post-covid! How soon is a data point we can only conjecture about, but reckon the airlines are hampered for 2 quarters at least . maybe 3. See what Xmas brings for mass travel. Anyway not being a huge travel whore, I wonder when the simple things like Saturday at the drags can commence.

Oddly last trip we took to France, we stayed mainly in Alsace, and its hardest hit. Its as rural and "recknecky" as France gets. Anomalous that is.

Anyway son #2 was just hired in specialty machine shop that remains open and is setting sales records. Folks are still building stuff, LOTSA stuff! I'm sure happy for him, its a good position with potential! only hope he gets his Associates and doesn't get bribed away.

So, there ya go. Donny got a good job. WE ARE living past covid y'all. Hope and pray the "mathematical peaks" are getting behind us already.

Its EASTER and PASSOVER..... darn it! Man, we ALL BE LIVING that PASSOVER story now, ain't we! Peace and stay well!
EdCarpenter, shovelrick and kmakar like this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 4:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:

Ever since the 9/11 attacks and the creation of the TSA, I have detested flying. 750 miles or less, I'll drive over flying every single time. Knock on wood I don't do any business travel these days, so flying isn't in my immediate future.
Not2Fast and kmakar like this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 4:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I drove to the city brush site to dump some of my yard goodies and traffic is like business as usual ??? I also stopped by my shop and got a little lucky, 2 other guys there had the gate open while I dropped off some things I didn't want to leave in my van cause gets hot in there, so never had to touch the pad lock or gate, I've only had a couple calls and none were emergency, 1 I told the lady how to fix it herself, clogged drain, she hasn't called back so I guess she fixed it , my wife said I should sell the other Reme Halo I have and I told her I'd have to install it then, that was a very short conversation lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_163300_Film3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	622246  

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 20, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post
I wouldn't, I don't like to fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Anyway not being a huge travel whore,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
Ever since the 9/11 attacks and the creation of the TSA, I have detested flying.
Sounds like tourism is doomed.......
Georgia69 likes this.

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in