The Mighty L-88 ! - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 3:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

396’s bored brother,
by Z Arkus Duntov !

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...wsletter_NewDD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B29C7A62-F2B9-4BFE-89D8-7D7F60B71C82_1585940840980.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	621622  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 3:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Re: The Mighty L-88 !

Never rode in an L88 'vette, but had friends who did...way back when. Apparently there was a guy in Bremerton, WA, that owned one (a '68 I believe) and took quite a number of people for test rides. What those I spoke to remembered is the flat out, top end power of that 'vette.
LeoP and Z06vette like this.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 4:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelysalty View Post
396’s bored brother,
by Z Arkus Duntov !

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...wsletter_NewDD

I'm sorry, I missed something.
You have been bad mouthing big blocks, and now you appear to be praising them.
Why the paradox????
Dean, 77 cruiser, 71350SS and 4 others like this.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Yenko was never one to be limited by the factory, however, so he dragged a Rally Red 435/427 convertible off his show floor in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania and got to work frankensteining a race car. In went a full-fledged L88 engine, plus its corresponding Muncie M-22 four-speed, and a race-spec roll bar and fuel cell. Thus, this particular ’68 Sunray-DX car is known as the “showroom car,” not because it lacks a racing resume, but because of its show-floor origins...

This ’68 L88 hasn’t fared particularly well at previous sales, and has suffered from overall weakness in the L88 market in recent years.

Kind of a cool car and story, Yenko prepped and driven, but its NOT an L88 Corvette, its an L71 with a L88 crate engine... And some people wonder why it hasn't fared well at previous sales.. probably because the sellers are comparing it to real L88 cars, with correspondingly higher reserves... But just speculation...
Saltherring likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 12:00 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

An old high school friend got his hands on a real L88 Corvette back in the late 70's. It had an underhood fire and he did all the repairs. To that point in time it that was the strongest pulling car I had ever been in and it wasn't even in to the secondaries. The way it squats in the back was very memorable. I wonder if he still has it?

I don’t like being manipulated!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 5:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I recall a magazine article, probably from Super Chevy, and probably from the 1980's, where a guy drove way out in the desert of Southern California, to check out an advertisement for a supposed 1969 L88 Corvette. The search ended at a home on a rural driveway that exited off a graveled county road, where the potential buyer was surprised to find a Red, low mileage, fully documented L88 4 Spd Corvette. Virtually everything, if I call correctly, was original excepting headers and the emissions equipment, which had been removed but was still with the car.

The guy ended up buying the car. What I remember most about the article, however, was one day on a wide, straight and empty highway the guy decided to see what this L88 Corvette had for a top speed. I don't recall the car's rear gear ratio (3.55 perhaps), but I do recall the owner/driver saying he ran out of balls before that open chamber L88 engine did, and the speed at that time was 160 MPH.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 6:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Alan, Salt....great stories. !!!
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I road in a couple. The late Raymond Davis of East Houston had one. Since ha was a fairly prominent racer in this area, he had some mods on it.

It was loud, it rattled, and you could feel the engine heat. It was also fast.

The Fain Brothers also had one. They were the local 409 freaks until they discovered the power of the Rat.

The L-88 is the really the icon of ‘60’s GM power.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Love those cars. Baddest of the bad.
shovelrick and Saltherring like this.

'69 Malibu
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 9:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

It was loud, it rattled, and you could feel the engine heat. It was also fast.
Did we just find
“The definition of a muscle car” ?

👍
OLDED and shovelrick like this.
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
MARK

Chevrolet gave us some very good parts to work with!
shovelrick likes this.

Machined GM production heads
Oil pan modifications
Red Line Camshaft
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 12:39 PM
Gold Member
Gene

When my L88 was in a buddy's 67 Camaro, M20 , 4.56s, you punch that thing, and maybe we didnt have the carb set right ( we were 18/19, young , dumb and fulla...X ! ) but when you punched it, it had this habit of braking them lose at around 4500 rpm! Too much fun!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 20, 1:17 PM
Tom

Figured these pics would be fitting here.

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 20, 4:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I recall a magazine article, probably from Super Chevy, and probably from the 1980's, where a guy drove way out in the desert of Southern California, to check out an advertisement for a supposed 1969 L88 Corvette. The search ended at a home on a rural driveway that exited off a graveled county road, where the potential buyer was surprised to find a Red, low mileage, fully documented L88 4 Spd Corvette. Virtually everything, if I call correctly, was original excepting headers and the emissions equipment, which had been removed but was still with the car.

The guy ended up buying the car. What I remember most about the article, however, was one day on a wide, straight and empty highway the guy decided to see what this L88 Corvette had for a top speed. I don't recall the car's rear gear ratio (3.55 perhaps), but I do recall the owner/driver saying he ran out of balls before that open chamber L88 engine did, and the speed at that time was 160 MPH.
Makes me wonder... back in the mid-80's I attended the "Musclecar Nationals" or something similar up in Sacramento. I was speaking to a guy with a Red 68 or 69 L88 Corvette... Said he bought it for $5000. Even way back then, that was a steal. he said the seller knew it was an L88, and knew it was special (but apparently didn't realize the value)…

Just made me wonder if maybe it was the same car...
Saltherring likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 20, 9:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

A close relative. !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2103A647-765E-4AEB-B2B5-564654135D5E_1586352674128.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	622306  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in