The Corona Correction??? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
The Corona Correction???

This current Corona pandemic certainly has the potential to have some long, serious, financial fingers into the world economy.
On a somewhat less wordly note and because this is a classic car forum, how do you think this will affect the classic car world. Certainly this will affect the number of sales and for those that were/are considering selling I wish you luck.
Lets hear your predictions on how the classic market will be affected. Do you think it will be across the board? Will it just be the price of high end cars? Will it be all levels of cars? Will it follow to parts, services such as restoration shops, appraisals, etc.?
One would think with the effects of this pandemic things such as classic cars which are considered hobbies by many will be scaled back. What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Re: The Corona Correction???

Some might say I'm getting that car I always wanted after this scare.
mr 4 speed and bry66 like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 11:17 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

More time to get those projects closer to the finish line.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 11:21 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

In my opinion this will drastically affect the industry and here's why:

First of all there are a lot of people currently out of work, or working from home, or worried about what the future will bring who will simply not be looking to spend money on a classic car.

I'm sure that some people will panic and potentially look to sell their classic car to free up some cash, but they are either going to have a limited buyer's base or they will simply find that people have less money to spend.

As for car shows/cruise nights....well that season which is almost upon us is in dire straights. I'm in PA where the governor issued a state at home order for the next 2 weeks. The month of April in PA is always a question mark. We could have 70 and sunny or 6"of snow, so nobody really worries about missing a cruise or a show in April.....but May is when things really kick off and then the season runs until say late September when people start shutting their cars down for the season.

If this nonsense drags into May, it cold really affect attendance at local cruises or shows. I'm not so worried about the shows as I'm more of a cruise night guy. But right now things look really crappy.
67_LS1 likes this.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

blm has described the situation. Toys and hobbies will disappear while people are just trying to survive. Money's the medium in the economic cycle, as water is the medium in the hydrological cycle (evaporation, rain, runoff; repeat). The circulation will be slowing down, with people not earning and not spending, and gov't not collecting taxes. It could eventually grind to a halt, with increasing breakdown of society.
67_LS1 likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

There will be a blip, increased old car sales at decreased prices. Prices for everything will be based on supply vs demand. As far as car shows, they will be just fine when the dust settles and they start back up.
427L88, 67_LS1, RAIDER SS and 2 others like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Unhappy Re: The Corona Correction???

Guesses.

Hope not but some of us may be forced to sell our toys for whatever we can get for them just to be able to survive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Due to the coming financial loads on thousands who have held on to to future project cars and trucks some will be forced to sell. Those car people with money to spare will be all over the deals which arise. I suspect this won't be a long term crisis so for the most part things will bounce back. It may cause some to rethink their financial outlook for the future but we'll be OK long term.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:57 PM
Team Member
Kevin

I guess I look at it differently....

My take is this:

The market will bear what anyone is willing to pay, but those who are scared (and need the money) will sell at a lower price (to guarantee cash in hand for security sake) and those who have been "saving for a rainy day" will directly benefit.

I think you'll see the prices on the high end cars will remain close to what they are as their value is still there, but the everyday drivers will sell at a lower price.

I viewed buying my car as a complete luxury item and I planned for it. I won't be selling my car, and as for myself it was a toy to play with and as such not needed to survive.

I feel for those who have to even consider selling to either survive or recover in the long haul.
1966_L78, 67_LS1, Bow_Tied and 2 others like this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 4:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

From a restoration/business perspective, I've had a couple guys postpone their upholstery projects until this thing settles down. They've been laid off from their jobs (social distancing) and the extra money isn't there to work on classic cars. Which also means less income for my business. Right now I've got a couple month's customer work already in the shop. Maybe by that time we'll start getting back to normal again.

Those postponed projects are okay. They need to look out for their families, and it gives me some time to work on the cars I've been collecting parts for.

So far I haven't heard of anyone needing to sell their classic cars to pay the bills....yet.
Steve R, Derek69SS and kmakar like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 5:57 AM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe some more distance between cars at car shows. Maybe the social things will teach people not to put hands on things they don't need to. And will carry over so people won't put there hands on the cars at shows also.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 6:15 AM
Gold Member
Gene

As far as I can tell, the most obvious and immediate impact is to be able to drive the wheels off our toys at $1.50 a gallon, SOON. Otherwise, I dont see the next depression ahead and I see NO permanent change in our hobby due to it. But I may be blind.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 6:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elco68 View Post
Maybe some more distance between cars at car shows. Maybe the social things will teach people not to put hands on things they don't need to. And will carry over so people won't put there hands on the cars at shows also.
Now THIS would almost make the whole thing worthwhile.
Bow_Tied likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 8:44 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Due to the liquidity crisis, there will be a lot of people that will be liquidating toys (cars, boats, planes, etc.) which will depress resale prices for a while. This will dry up marginal restoration vendors. Frankly people donít need it. Iíd be prepared to hold for a few years.
Bow_Tied likes this.

I donít like being manipulated!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by elco68 View Post
You will always have those individuals that just have to touch. Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in