55 Chevy project - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

55 Chevy project

I had a couple vacation days to burn up at work, and I'm losing access to Dad's paint booth in a month, so I decided this weekend was a good time to shoot the '55 and make it all one color. My son Cale helped scuff and mask it all, AJ helped wipe down, and my Dad sprayed it.

A few areas where I lightly buffed the old laquer match unbelievably well... I need to buff the rest of the old paint but the match is great even though we didn't blend anything.

Pete 67, Rmchevelle, LeoP and 9 others like this.

Derek Kiefer, member of Minnesota's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

Re: 55 Chevy project

What you see is about $700 investment so far including brakes, paint supplies, wheels and tires.
I still need to do balljoints, tie rods, bushings, shocks, fuel tank and fuel lines.
After years of funneling money into the Chevelle, it's kind of fun to do one on the cheap end.

Pete 67, 71350SS, LeoP and 8 others like this.

-
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Gotta love me some 55-57 Chevys. Only ever had 30 or so.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:58 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Huge fan of 55's here too. Thats gonna be one fun car. Stance is perfect.
Derek69SS, 69SHEVL and shovelrick like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

My Dad bought this car in 1975 for $60.

He put new GM fenders on it and started doing body work on the doors. He planned to make it look like the American Graffiti car, but got married, had 4 kids, changed career from autobody to farming, then back to autobody, etc. He stored it for 42 years, then decided he didn't want to do autobody after retirement, so it was going to be sold.

I bought it from him 2 years ago, and am now planning just to get it on the road without spending a ton of money on it.

-
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Very nice.
I like to build them on the cheap..Much more fun just making a good daily driver that rock chips do not bother you.

My 56 chevy I got for 900 bucks.. I had 2500 in it total including tags and title and purchase price by the time it was driving down the road.

My 57 chevy I got for 1500 and I have 4000 in it after it was all done.
Mine were 4 doors.
My 57 I stuck a hitch on the back and It pulls my Pontoon to the lake very well.
Ran a best so far of 12.86 at the track.
1969 300hp 350 in it with 601 heads and 280H cam.. Cheap stuff you know.

What engine is in yours?
LeoP likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

It has a 69 327 2bbl that Dad put in it. It runs good, but burns oil. Stock 3-speed and stock rear end for now too. I'm debating whether to make it fast or just a good driver... I know I can have both, but that won't be cheap...
LeoP and Kirk's67SS like this.

-
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

That's a bitch of a car Derek. Love everything about it!
Pete 67 likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 1:55 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
My Dad bought this car in 1975 for $60.

He put new GM fenders on it and started doing body work on the doors. He planned to make it look like the American Graffiti car, but got married, had 4 kids, changed career from autobody to farming, then back to autobody, etc. He stored it for 42 years, then decided he didn't want to do autobody after retirement, so it was going to be sold.

I bought it from him 2 years ago, and am now planning just to get it on the road without spending a ton of money on it.
The reason i like the 55's so much is the look that can be had when they have the rear wheelwell opened up, just like the AG car. Still without them opened up, i still like them better than the 56-57.

I approve of your plan to get it on the road on the cheap. Cars need to be driven, not hidden. Personally i would make that thing so loud that "people think the end of the world is coming when they hear my car." (homer simpson quote)
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 2:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

The ongoing debate in my head is that I really want a cool daily-driver with old paint that can be driven on gravel roads, rainy days, parked anywhere, etc. I also want something cool and fun that is slow enough that I can let my kids drive it without worrying about them doing the stupid things young boys do with fast cars.

On the other hand, I could have this thing running mid-11s pretty cheaply with stuff I have sitting on the floor in my garage. 427/M20 and 3.89 posi 9" Ford all just begging to go in this car, and would be a LOT of fun.

Do I want to drive 5000 miles/year in a slow car, or less than 500 in a fast one?

My Chevelle runs high-12s, gets 17mpg, and has A/C so I already have a fun moderately quick road-trip car. I just don't like trying to keep shiny paint looking clean, and my expensive autocross tires only last about 1 season if I put a lot of street miles on it, so I don't daily-drive it for those reasons.

-
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Nice! I've got a 56 210 2 door sedan that I got as a roller. It started life as a 6 cyl/3 speed car. It's a Tucson native with no rust. Now that I have it on the road, it's a hoot to drive. I won't say I did it on the cheap, but we love the car. It's got a 350/700R4 with 3:42 gears. I've done all the suspension, It's got Vintage Air, Dakota Digital gauges, Ididit tilt column, power windows and locks, cruise control........next on my list is all new glass, then interior. It was repainted 25/30 years ago. When I got it in '07, the clear on it was pealing......I have no plans to paint it. A friend of mine gave me a stick I put on the wing window that says "Yes, it is cool. No, I'm not going to paint it." I've got my 66 Chevelle with a 4 speed and this 56. I can park the 56 anywhere and not worry about it. It loves to run at 80 mph, runs cool, can get 20 mpg, and we drive it all over the southwest.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.

66 Malibu

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 4:02 PM
Tech Team
John

Nice car and booth!! We have a 55 2 door wagon 210 that my wife was driving in 78. 6 cyl 3 speed. Been in storage since 80. I've got a 66 327, camel back heads and a 400 shorty that I was planning on putting into it after we get done with the Malibu I'm working on now. This thing needs a bunch of work though. Flintstones style, floor, braces and rockers. Its all there though. I like the idea of just driving the heck out of it and not worrying about the paint

John
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 4:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Nice car and a great legacy! I be your dad is glad it has stayed in the family, too. 55's are my favorite of the tri-5's. Hard to find anything half-way decent here is the western NY rustbelt. Get her going and have fun, no matter what drivetrain goes in. I'll try not to be too jealous!
jeff swisher likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Great project you have going there,Derek.
I remember sitting with my brothers in the back seat of our 4 dr 6 cyl powerhouse 1955 Chevy with 3 on the tree while my Uncle tuned it up around 1964 or so.It was a factory 2 toned paint car with that medium grey on half the car and that coral color on the other half.Not one option on that car yet Mom drove it around and parked it in the city without any problems.
Throw a SBC in it with like a 5000 or 5500 RPM limiter on it and a stick shift so the boys can learn on a throwback car with just power brakes for safety and armstrong steering so they learn to drive.
69SHEVL and shovelrick like this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 5:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
Do I want to drive 5000 miles/year in a slow car, or less than 500 in a fast one?
I'm thinking you're smart enough to create something in the middle.

What interior and color?

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in