Is EVERYONE switching to an LS type engine? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

252Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Is EVERYONE switching to an LS type engine?

Every time I get on a Chevy forum, it seems that more and more people are replacing their engines with some kind of LS engine and over drive auto tranny.
Also, I perceive that many of these people who are doing LS swaps have a tendency to be somewhat snooty and looking down their nose at those of us who are retaining the traditional SB or BB. I see no justification for this kind of attitude towards those who keep and upgrade their earlier type engines.
As a result of this snooty, primadonna type attitude by LS swappers, I have almost completely decided not to attend the Maryland show (which I was really looking forward to at one time). I'm just not interested in driving all that distance just to be subjected being regarded as inferior because I have a SB400 powered 70 with a manual tranny instead of updating with an LS/OD auto tranny.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 3:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Is EVERYONE switching to an LS type engine?

I have a LS in my 67 but I like all old cars. Especially 100% bone stock. I have never had the willpower to leave something alone and really appreciate when someone does.

Iíve been swapping EFI into cars since I got my drivers license. Starting with a TPI 350 in a S-10. I mated it to a 5 speed as I wanted the overdrive. All of my hot rods have been EFI since other than my previous 70 chevelle had a 406/200R4 with a carb. Ran perfect. Not sure why I never went EFI.

Myself I just like the fuel mileage and low rpmís that a EFI with OD offers. Some people donít want or need that. I say as long as you are enjoying the hobby you are doing it right. If everyone was the same it would be boring.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 3:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
JOHN

Tom , I attended the Maryland show once , you should go . You will see lots of stock restorations as well as others , all good .
LeoP, blue_69_malibu and 69SHEVL like this.
post #4 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 3:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Bring the 400...yes its popular..but I think what youre saying is the ones that blurt out"ls swap" if you ask about a fan belt.
There really are many that dont believe you can make 400 or 500 reliable ponys with a SB..or have No clue on the low end tq of a big block. All they look at is internet hp numbers. Ignorance.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #5 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

I've seen just the opposite on the snootiness, the purists tend to thumb their noses at the LS swappers. I'm still in the old iron camp and really have no desire to go LS, purely due to the simplicity. I'm also in the camp of "its your car, your money, your decision" group, its hot rodding.
Clint44, Dean, 67_LS1 and 17 others like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

post #7 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Tom at the Maryland show the old school type SB and BB cars with carbs out number LS cars by fair
ACES1 and 69SHEVL like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #8 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 4:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Pout and stay home? Not an option, I don't see any of that, just new perspectives which is growth of our hobby.
post #9 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:06 PM
Tech Team
John

When my son and I bought this Malibu a few years back some were saying is just a Malibu. Pull the 350 and install a LS. We didn't. My son and Nick Smithberg (Engine Masters 2017) went through the motor and heads. Handed me the parts and said make it go. It's getting close LS swaps are fine for some, I'm of the old iron camp myself but I like checking the others out. Go if you can!!!
pannetron and Flipper like this.
post #10 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

No LS swap for me Tom. I love my smelly, oil using gas guzzling big block way to much to swap it out for an efficient computer controlled piece of technology. Seriously, no sarcasm intended. It's a 70 not a hybrid!

70 LS5 convertible
post #11 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:28 PM
Tech Team
Rick

My 70 El Camino had a badly cracked 350 block which was not rebuild-able and numbers matching was no longer possible for me. I would have otherwise kept that engine and I debated myself for a few months over which way to go. Finally, it was decided for me when a well-tended 5.3 liter LS truck motor and 4L60E transmission fell into my lap for $800 and $500 respectively.

Thus, fate took me down this path rather than any particular desire one way or the other.

Rick
Kirk's67SS likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #12 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 5:29 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I've seen just the opposite on the snootiness, the purists tend to thumb their noses at the LS swappers. I'm still in the old iron camp and really have no desire to go LS, purely due to the simplicity. I'm also in the camp of "its your car, your money, your decision" group, its hot rodding.
Same here. I haven't seen or heard any LS engine swapping people acting snooty or having an attitude.

I kind of compare it with the hot rodding days back in the fifties when a lot of guys were replacing the old Ford flat head engines with Oldsmobile or Cadillac engines. Hot Rodding hasn't changed much in that respect.
Clint44, ACES1, LeoP and 2 others like this.

post #13 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:03 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I think it depends where you fall on the scale of originality. One one end, anything goes and on the other, you have guys that buy only NOS parts and make sure the crayon marks and factory overspray are in the right spots. I fall somewhere in the middle. Performance and originality are both important.
blm, surmin69, Kirk's67SS and 2 others like this.

'72, 385 sbc, Voodoo roller, 219/227; .515/,530 lift; AFR 180cc Eliminators, RPM Air-Gap, 770 Avenger, TH350 trans, 12 bolt 3.42's, Eaton Posi, TCI 2000 stall, Pypes 2 1/2" X-pipe system w/Race Pro's
Vehicle weight: 3390 lbs
post #14 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Hi Tom,
It’s a Chevelle show, not an engine or transmission show. I hope to see you in Maryland!
ACES1, Derek69SS, 69SHEVL and 1 others like this.

Team Chevelle Member (20 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #15 of 162 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I have considered an LS swap because my son keeps pushing me that way, but sometimes other factors jump in. Twice now I have had an LS1 sell before I could get to it! I am now considering using a 427 I have in my shop because I have it. I built is several years ago for my son to put in a 1966 Caprice - he ended up selling the Caprice and never bought the 427 (big block) from me. With the loss of the two LS1's, I tried to put together a 400 small block - ended up being cracked and I had already sold the 383 I had to purchase the LS1 (that really worked out for me)!

Bottom line for me is they are all good, just depends on what you want. I still am an old school big block guy and will put the 427 in my Laguna with a good old Quadrajet - will add an OD trans to make cruising comfortable. To me, it will looks just a good with a big block and an open hood as it would with an LSX or a small block. However, I love the low end torque you can only get from a big block.
ACES1 and VinceS427bb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in