anyone else losing it over the stocks? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 3:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
anyone else losing it over the stocks?

wife keeps watching the talking heads and panicking about the 401k disaster. We're 56 and 57, shes got a good govt pension to retire on social security and .gov health insurance.
I try to explain that we still have the same shares, just they are worth less at the moment. My view is that in the next 3 to 5 years when the governments of the world starts dumping trillions of dollars into the world economy, it should translate to a market comeback with a vengeance.
Oil is still cheap and no shortages, banks dont have the subprime mortgage issues (but probably a crap ton of bankruptcy coming?)
I would imagine when all the forced.quarentine stops, people are going to be coming out buying, selling, and finding ways to put the govt handouts to make money.
Am I being to optimistic?
Wife will not listen to me, so i called a financial advisor at the local credit union for a appt to see what they recommend. I'm hoping he has some of the same views as me. jim
-SS454-, fr8dog, hydro462 and 2 others like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 3:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: anyone else losing it over the stocks?

Selling off at the bottom is never a good plan. Every time I have panicked and sold off I have regretted it. I am hanging in there for now. An account with a local stockbroker varies a lot in these times. The statement from last month valued my account at $12,000 less than the month before. Unless you have very specific information (like that of some senators) stay invested.
DUKE 69, -SS454-, fr8dog and 4 others like this.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 3:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Jim, I hope you are right. It is painful to watch the 401k's keep shrinking every day.

70 LS5 convertible
post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 3:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

The first thing Ive seen to not do is what your wife is doing. Looking at it everyday. If you have a few years to go, as hard as it may be, dont panic. If she bails out now , which is a big no no, she will have locked in the losses. Doing what you say, she still has the same number, but worth less at the moment. Historical records show the market goes up and down. She most likely gets the FedSmith emails, like I do. Read the articles on there and the comments at the end of the articles. The sound advice is to ride out the storm. What fund/funds is her funds in? Does she have the full amt in stocks only? (C Fund?)
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 3:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

If you look at your 401k, you should see you are back to where you were about 3 years ago, maybe a little bit higher, depending on how you had it invested. I tend to be more conservative in my retirement accounts than my brokerage account though.

Depending on your mix, you could still be even higher than 3 years ago. My 401k for example, because of my mix, shows that YTD (from January 1st) I'm down 12%, but I am still 5% higher than I was 12 months ago. Now, if I look at it compared to the high in February, I'm down 20%+. It's all relative from when you take a starting point.

The question is, how low will this go, and then how long will it take to recover. No one knows at this point.

My guess is that it is going lower and will then recover in the next 2-3 years. I'm in for the ride in my 401k.

My on the side brokerage account on the other hand - that's a crap shoot and may send me up, down or sideways...

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner View Post
selling off at the bottom is never a good plan. Every time i have panicked and sold off i have regretted it. I am hanging in there for now. An account with a local stockbroker varies a lot in these times. The statement from last month valued my account at $12,000 less than the month before. Unless you have very specific information (like that of those in congress) stay invested.
fify

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You need to look at what your invested in, a lot of these companies will go out of business because of this. IMHO, this is far worse than 2008 and we have not hit bottom yet. So yes what you have can get worse. Also note how long it took the market to recover from 2008. I can understand your wifes concerns, been there.
kmakar likes this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:37 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Garage

My advice is that you should sit tight and just weather the storm. I'm 200% positive your financial advisor will tell you to do the same. The market will bounce back, it always does. Just remember how the market rebounded after the 2008 recession - it took 18 months to fully recover. The only reason you should sell at this time is if you need the cash for a major purchase such as a home, or if you cannot not live on your current income, social security, pension, etc.
NickeyChevelle and hydro462 like this.

I've spent most of my money on women and guns.The rest I just wasted...

Last edited by Flipper; Mar 21st, 20 at 5:03 PM.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

As a constituency, we all need to take a close look at the US Senators who bailed on the market due to the virus briefing given to them before everybody else. I see this sell off by our elected representatives as "insider trading," and I think any Senator or Representative who sold their stocks based on the info given to them prior to the market dropping should be prosecuted or at least recalled and voted out of office.
oman, 68post, mino65 and 9 others like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:58 PM
Tech Team
Greg

The problem is that most retirement funds you purchase is fund of several different stocks. You own the fund not the stocks inside of it, what that means is that at anytime the fund manager can dissolve the fund your money go into a savings account but the brokerage house is the one that actually owns the stocks. This is how the brokerage house makes money you pay the cost of the brokerage house to dissolve the fund and you pay to transfer your money into a savings account and you pay to transfer your money to a new fund. This can happen as often as they want and the only one who loses is you, they can still make money in a bad market as it is now.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #11 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:58 PM
Tech Team
Joe

I'm already retired and so adding to the nest egg is not an option. In the last 20 trading days, my portfolio has lost over 66K dollars. So far I wouldn't say I'm worried. Concerned but, I'm not panicked. It will come back as soon as this comes to an end.
post #12 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAT View Post
The first thing Ive seen to not do is what your wife is doing. Looking at it everyday. If you have a few years to go, as hard as it may be, dont panic. If she bails out now , which is a big no no, she will have locked in the losses. Doing what you say, she still has the same number, but worth less at the moment. Historical records show the market goes up and down. She most likely gets the FedSmith emails, like I do. Read the articles on there and the comments at the end of the articles. The sound advice is to ride out the storm. What fund/funds is her funds in? Does she have the full amt in stocks only? (C Fund?)
hers is 70% c fund 30% g fund (bonds)
my old 401k is 65% in bonds. 35% stocks
new job 401k been putting mostly in stocks and 2030 fund.
I figure if she pays a advisor and they tell her the same thing me and my son in law (has a BA from Eller business school) tells her for free, she might believe us then. Only big purchase we want to do is still buy a 1000-4 polaris rzr, which we did throw a low ball offer on a 2018 model we looked at last weekend.
hydro462 likes this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #13 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:11 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Somebody famous last words " You only lose/make money when you sell" If at all possible stick it out.
FWIW I had a sell it all order in at my broker to sell at 30,000 DJ, the market made it to 29551, so I get to do the roller coaster ride again.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #14 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:20 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Although I sold over half early on I made one miscalculation and didn't sell my high yielding dividend stocks figuring I will get more cheap later but one of my stocks Ford just announced they are not paying any dividend this quarter. So I have a stock that's half what it was and no dividend to help out. It is only a reasonable guess the other stocks and funds will follow shortly.
post #15 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:34 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dragginwagon406 Send a message via MSN to dragginwagon406 Send a message via Yahoo to dragginwagon406

Everything points me to ride it out.

It doesn't feel good, but have confidence, it will come back.
TerryAT and kmakar like this.

1981 Malibu wagon
406/350/4.10
Best ET NA 12.20 @ 110
Best ET w/N2O 11.47 @ 117
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in