anyone else losing it over the stocks? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:43 AM
Team Member
Kevin

Re: anyone else losing it over the stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
but we still live like we're making minimum wage
That's the key Jim. I have some money (not rich by any means), but we live very skinny (my wife often calls me the frugal Jew which is partially true), but she understands also how to live within our means (which is also another reason she enjoys not having to work).

We've raised our kids to be the same way, and they all have good savings accounts and retirement funds and they even frown at how their own friends spend money foolishly.

As a Dad, I couldn't be more proud of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 11:55 AM
Team Member
Kevin

And before anyone asks or might be offended, I'm not Jewish, but my grandfather is (was). I was raised Roman Catholic and still practice my religion (I just have Jewish tendencies when it comes to money).
427L88 likes this.

Last edited by kmakar; Mar 22nd, 20 at 12:18 PM.
post #48 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post
And before anyone asks or might be offended, I'm not Jewish, but my grandfather is (was). I was raised Roman Catholic and still practice my religion (I just have Jewish tendencies when it comes to money).
that's funny because my buddy's wife is Scottish decent and he always says her Scottish tendency makes her frugal borderline cheap. jim
427L88 and kmakar like this.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #49 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:23 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I got completely out of the market at around 28k with the market rising. I missed the rise above 28k to almost 30k but I've also missed the ride down. My cash isnít making squat but Iím not losing it either.
There was nothing that I could see to justify the market that high. The problem I see coming is the massive corporate debt used to buy back stock to falsely inflate stock prices.
This down is going to be awhile.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #50 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 12:27 PM
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
I got completely out of the market at around 28k with the market rising. I missed the rise above 28k to almost 30k but I've also missed the ride down. My cash isnít making squat but Iím not losing it either.
There was nothing that I could see to justify the market that high. The problem I see coming is the massive corporate debt used to buy back stock to falsely inflate stock prices.
Agreed. The market has been inflated for 3+ years and is now about where it should have been all along.
pannetron likes this.
post #51 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 1:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Iíve been studying up on this a little, and it appears that during most recessions, the TTM PE falls to 10 or below. In 2008, the market fell 57% from the high. Other big recessionary drops were 40%+. This one just happens to be happening very quickly, not prolonged over many months/years.

If that were to hold true here, then the S&P 500 should fall to 1690 or below based on the TTM PE, or 1450 based on the percentage drop equivalent to 2008. Today itís at 2304. From the high, it is only down 32%. A further drop from the high of 20-25% is not out of the question.

Now, from current price, that would be a further drop of 27-37%. Last week alone the drop was 15%. This coming week could easily be the same.

Whether it gets that low, who knows. But I think we have a ways to go as in many cases, we are still only down to where we were 2-3 years ago. This also could just be a short flat spot before the next leg down.

On the flip side, if the virus falls off, a vaccine comes out quickly, or some other magic happens, it could turn around. But then I suspect it gets hammered again when the quarterly reports and estimates come out showing the job losses, revenue losses, etc.

I just see more downside potential than upside potential right now.

Remember, it goes up like an escalator, and comes down like an elevator.

Quote:
Agreed. The market has been inflated for 3+ years and is now about where it should have been all along.
427L88 and pannetron like this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #52 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 1:32 PM
Tech Team
David

I'm just waiting to buy in and wondering what stocks are gonna be hot

later, dozer
427L88 and Duane_D like this.

"Look Stock and carry a Big Block"
Raube Wan
post #53 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 1:38 PM
Gold Member
Gene

the trillion dollar question.......

the official textbook answer is.... the same ones that were hot before......
DUKE 69 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #54 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 1:45 PM
Tech Team

Garage

The Trump administration has asked that the next release of unemployment numbers to be delayed. They are not going to be pretty.
Last week was 281k. The week before was 230k. Goldman Sachs predicts more than 2 million this week.
IMO itís going to get really ugly this coming week. Maybe the next week if the individual states actually delay the data release.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #55 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 2:19 PM
Tech Team
Paul

The market was supposedly set for about zero growth thanks to tanking economies in places like Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, etc even before this current crisis. Once this virus mess is over you're still going to see a very long road to recovery. Those 20% annual returns aren't going to return anytime soon. I pulled out about 3 weeks ago and put everything into money markets and bonds. I'm retired so my long term isn't near as long as those still in the workforce.

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
396 CI,Hooker Super Comps
TH400, HEI, Performer Intake, 750 cfm
post #56 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 7:57 PM
Tech Team
Matt

I'm down over 100k already. Looking to have some cash set aside for the bumpy road in the near-term. Not worried about long-term because the market always comes back. I can't touch my 401k until 9 more years anyways. As long as I have a cash cushion so that I'm okay for 12 months with no income, I'm not too concerned. If I were retiring next year that would be a different story. Market will go down more in the coming weeks before it bottoms. Too painful to watch. Don't lock in losses though. Live off of cash and leave the equities alone. They will recover. And stay out of individual stocks, for they are the most at risk. That is of course my .02 cents

1966 Chevelle, mild SBC stroker, factory 10 bolt, 3.08 gears, column shift, Performer RPM intake. 11.70's at 116 mph through 2 1/2 exhaust.
post #57 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Cool Re: anyone else losing it over the stocks?

Quote:
tut-tut now...a woke progressive liberale thought patrol watchman might be lurking....
kmakar likes this.
post #58 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Unhappy Re: anyone else losing it over the stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J View Post
The market was supposedly set for about zero growth thanks to tanking economies in places like Germany, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, etc even before this current crisis. Once this virus mess is over you're still going to see a very long road to recovery. Those 20% annual returns aren't going to return anytime soon. I pulled out about 3 weeks ago and put everything into money markets and bonds. I'm retired so my long term isn't near as long as those still in the workforce.
Yup. Took along time for the DJI to recover from the 1929 crash. Us geezers probably won't see it. The Trump market bump was fluke. Don't forget this years IRA and 401K distrubutions due by years end, based on EOY 2019 numbers. Brutal. Double-screwed. Maybe the IRS will give us a break?
post #59 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Unhappy Re: anyone else losing it over the stocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Out near the top? Brilliant timing! Probably mostly at long term capital gains rate too. I was "thinkin" about it. Last in first out. Too late now...boo hoo
post #60 of 147 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 20, 8:45 PM
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'65 View Post
Maybe the IRS will give us a break?
That's so damn funny that I choked on my ice tea......
pannetron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in