Costco vs the hoarders - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member

Costco vs the hoarders

Apparently Costco did some data analysis and concluded that some of their customers were likely to return some of the hoarded goods if things did not work out. They now have a policy of not allowing returns on some items. Good move for them. I was a little surprised to see rice on the list. I had no idea that rice was so attractive to hoarders. And I would be surprised id they allowed the return of any food item at all.
(Next time I go to Costco I will buy all of their hot delicious chickens.)

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/costc...&ICID=ref_fark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 1:47 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Re: Costco vs the hoarders

Asians, and Asian-Americans. No I'm not a racist for stating this fact. In Asia, rice is THE staple food. Every meal has rice. This persists in second generation. I was surprised that stores didn't take anti-hoarding measures early on. Hoarding was bound to happen. I don't know about laws on returning food or drink items. If I was in charge, it would be NO. Period. Unhappy about wasting food? Give to the food bank, and they probably or should have some strict rules about that too.
Kirk's67SS and shovelrick like this.
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 1:58 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Glad to hear that and also that they and other stores are now limiting quantities that can be purchased. As we've all heard, TP is another item that's been hoarded, and thankfully we've had an ample supply, but my wife was starting to get nervous with her and my two daughters in the house.

Finally today she was able to purchase some at Costco - they're handing out 1 package per customer and only allowing one cart load of groceries. Hopefully people will realize we don't have a food shortage and don't need to hoard all of these items.

jim
shovelrick likes this.
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 5:14 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Its my opinion in this matter that if you buy Something its yours for keeps. No taking it back.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 6:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

There was one knot-head here in Northern Nevada that stockpiled 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer 4 weeks ago. First of this week, he found uot he couldn't sell it to make a profit, he wanted $50.00 per bottle, so, he was forced to give it all away. He also bankrupted his brother in law with the scheme.

NO common sense.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 6:24 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Their is no food shortage just a stocking shortage. To many idiots wiping out the shelves for no reason. Soon there will be a money shortage for these panic buyers when their Credit card bills are due. I hope all the stores issues a no return policy on some of these items.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 7:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I went to Sams club earlier to buy my Gson a tablet to do his school work on and if I can't figure this thing out I hope they'll take it back lol, they said they would anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 7:11 PM
Team Member

Good on them for refusing the returns. Maybe when the next virus pandemic comes around the hoarders will remember. But I doubt it.
Crazy times for sure.

Dunc

'You are what you are and you aint what you aint' - John Prine
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

If the shelves are going bare buying way more than youll ever need is pure greed. People are people..

Always kept a few bags of rice/beans on hand in case, glad I did.

Alarming when, say a coupl eweeks from now the problem has gotten that much worse, if people start freaking out and stealing its going to trigger the snowball effect with every thug out there.
For every week everyones not working it could affect this country for a looong time to recover. Scary

Unrelated but got an email that AFR shut down completely today.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Publix supermarkets issued the same no returns policy this week.
71350SS, 67-468, davewho1 and 2 others like this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 8:43 PM
Team Member
Kevin

My wife was talking to one of the cashiers at Walmart about a week ago and asked (not for us), but what happens when all the hoarders return food back to the store, and the cashier replied, "By law it has to be destroyed and they can't resell it, or even donate it".

I hope Walmart follows suit and tells the hoarders they are stuck with what they bought. What a waste for someone to stockpile food and then return it because they didn't need it. If you felt the need to have that food, either keep it or donate it to a homeless shelter or people in need. Suck it up buttercup, and be a real human.
71350SS, davewho1 and shovelrick like this.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Dry white rice stores well for a very long time. Brown rice, not nearly as long. I have seven chicken hens that are collectively laying four eggs a day with more soon as the days get longer with more sunlight. I will be giving a dozen eggs to my neighbor tomorrow. I also have one baby chick, sex as yet unknown with six more fertile eggs in the incubator.

Chicken fried rice anyone??

Rick
71350SS, 427L88, 67-468 and 4 others like this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 9:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

No wonder my grand parents, aunts & uncles always had gardens when I was growing up in Oh. and everyone swapped what they grew
pduncan, 71350SS, davewho1 and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 9:58 PM
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
No wonder my grand parents, aunts & uncles always had gardens when I was growing up in Oh. and everyone swapped what they grew
My wife is a Florida Certified Master Gardener and she volunteers at the ARC in Hernando County teaching the learning disabled adults how to grow vegetables. She has a greenhouse I built her (she calls it her "she shed") where she grows vegetables and shares them with others. That's how it was done with our parent and grandparents.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 10:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I didn't think to mention one of my Gfathers was a union mason and in the winter we trapped muskrat for pelts (fur lined coats 60/70's) and we all had freezers full of deer meat and I've ate musk biscuits & gravy when I was a kid, still can see a scar on my thumb from helping skin, times could be changing...back, when I first moved to Fl. I couldn't believe how small the deer and squirrels are so never thought seriously about hunting them lol, now gators & hogs
67-468, p40 and kmakar like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in