Costco vs the hoarders - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member

Re: Costco vs the hoarders

The latest online wisdom says to use coffee filters as tp. They are still on the shelves and cheap. Just do not flush them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I guess Sears catalogs are no longer available and corn cobs are used as fuel.
What's this world coming to? Progress? lol

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 1:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you got a winco nearby they stopped the 24/7 deal

5-7am are for seniors and disabled only
Got lucky this morning, walked right in to a fully stocked store.

Checked out around 730 there was a line about 60 yds deep. At least everything looked fresh. Last time around the produce was rotten

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 2:45 PM
Gold Member
Ken

Thumbs up Re: Costco vs the hoarders

I have been to 3 different stores in the last 2 days. two were grocery stores and one a drugstore.
Went to the drugstore with the wife to pick up a prescription. Near the cash registers on the way out, was a stack of tp as big as a car. No one near it.
At a small grocery yesterday, they were stacking a store aisle with tp, no one in that aisle.
I stopped in at big chain supermarket at 9:30 this morning to get chicken and veggies and some soups. I checked the paper goods aisle and there were pallets of boxes filled with 4 packs of tp. Not one person in that aisle, not one, and there were tons of packages of paper towels etc.
People mass buying have caused the slowdown in the stocking of shelves.
Maybe these same people should stock up on chili !
shovelrick likes this.
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 9:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek69SS View Post
BS on that... farmers are definitely 100% on the "essential" list, as are the businesses that keep them and their equipment going.

Farmers will be planting and harvesting, and if they get sick, their neighbors will do it for them. I've seen it, and I've done it. I was in the field with about 30 other people when my uncle had a heart-attack. About 8 combines, 20 trucks and half a dozen grain carts had his entire farm harvested and hauled to the local elevator in a day. Nobody asked for a dime, and they used their own fuel to do it.

Livestock don't take sick days either. You won't catch a Dairy farmer sitting on the couch for 2 weeks.
Think about the cycle...sure a farmer and his neighbors can pull it out of the ground...but if it's a TOTAL shutdown, the trucks stop, the stores stop, everyone stays home.

You're under an essential only shutdown...that's not being enforced. If they want to shut this down, seriously, they have to stop EVERYTHING.

We arent there yet.

3 weeks of staying in your house. Everyone...except for medical emergencies.

Dr's, nurses shelter in the hospital.

Meals on wheels...how does that play out?

Food shortages? Will happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 9:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
The latest online wisdom says to use coffee filters as tp. They are still on the shelves and cheap. Just do not flush them.
The coffee filter is to wipe off your finger after you wipe your rump.

https://youtu.be/ezAsG3ZhdQg

Good thing the leaves will be growing soon.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 6:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

What is funny is the Preppers were looked down upon, called crazy, paranoid, mentally ill etc. Now preppers are getting the last laugh, while people are fighting in the store for TP or bread, preppers are at home counting their bullets.
JWagner, fr8dog, davewho1 and 1 others like this.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 6:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Rice and pasta shelves are empty here. Sams club people are fighting with the checkout workers because there is a limit on toilet paper. ( clearly posted 1 per customer ). Me... Iím hoarding Cadbury mini chocolate eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66A3BA18-854F-4661-916A-ED350FE69A9A.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	620592  

post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Even though I've lived in a big city my whole life we always grew vegges. In the early 60s I remember people scooping up horse poop in the alley that came from the junk mans horses for there gardens...
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-468 View Post
Rice and pasta shelves are empty here. Sams club people are fighting with the checkout workers because there is a limit on toilet paper. ( clearly posted 1 per customer ). Me... Iím hoarding Cadbury mini chocolate eggs.
The Kroger here just brings out another pallet of Kroger TP when the one runs out. I guess some people can't use that though.Big Lots TP is my second alternative.
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 1:10 PM
Gold Member
Ken

Went to a large grocery store at 9:30 this morning to get some haddock.
Checked the paper goods aisle, Completely full from the front of the store to the back, TP and paper towels, enough to fill a garage. Not one person in that aisle.
Maybe the truck loads of inventory are catching up.
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 1:31 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

My parents were children of the depression. They were practical and resourceful. Dad was also a sucker for a good deal so he always bought everything in bulk. Bushels of apples and onions (Jack! What am I going to do with all this?) They had a large root cellar and an adjoining room with all his hunting & fishing stuff. Crates of Campbell's Red Kettle soup (last produced in 1965 but it keeps 100 years). My friends commented that we could be under siege for 6 months and not have to step outside for food or ammunition. To that end my wife and I traditionally stocked up on stuff we needed when a good price appeared. You know how in Africa a rich man is someone with a bunch of goats? Well today I am a rich man in some of these rare essentials like TP. When we bought during normal times there were mountains of it at Costco, we just bought what we thought was prudent before all this pandemic stuff. We have no need to get anything other than fresh vegetables. We even have a quarter cow in the freezer but that is just normal for us. We have been out twice in the last week briefly, otherwise it is stay-at-home.

I always thought it was foolish to overstock & hoard. Spoilage and infestation comes to mind, never mind the selfish spirit that does not share in times of need. I wouldn't say we hoard but we have enough that we don't need to worry or go anywhere. It was built up gradually during normal times. What I don't get is why people feel the need to panic over these simple little things, which in turn cause the run on items & deplete stock, causing the situation people are facing now.

We have only set foot in Costco once during this whole episode. I was surprised how light the attendance was. They also stopped giving out food samples weeks ago. No TP, not that we were looking to buy anyway. For the first time I actually bought gas at Costco. I have no desire to line up for 30 minutes to get gas from Costco (and I like my Shell Gold), but I could't resist the discounted price (minus the annual membership fee). I was able to pull straight in without delay. The attendant even was disinfecting the filler after every customer.

Gandhi once said, "there is enough for every man's need, but not enough for every man's greed." SO true.
Steve R and davewho1 like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elco68 View Post
The Kroger here just brings out another pallet of Kroger TP when the one runs out. I guess some people can't use that though.Big Lots TP is my second alternative.
Well, looks like some beggars are choosers!

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-468 View Post
Will lead to heart disease but if everything goes downhill fast you may not have to worry.

post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 6:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle_Nut View Post
What is funny is the Preppers were looked down upon, called crazy, paranoid, mentally ill etc. Now preppers are getting the last laugh, while people are fighting in the store for TP or bread, preppers are at home counting their bullets.
LoL, reminds me that a few months back, i decided to place a large order of ammo. Sure glad i did when prices were at the bottom!

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73

Video:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in