I'm going to Retaliate - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

221Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 4:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: I'm going to Retaliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
When I was a kid, the sign of cheap manufacturing was.....
Made in Japan
or
Made in Taiwan

Then it was
Hecha en Mexico

Now it's
Made in China

I went to a heavy equipment manufacturing trade show in Bejing China back in 2012. The large cast stuff was rough looking. The manufactured stuff was also rough looking. It was interesting to see how aggressive they were getting with what they were making. I'm sure they've come a long way since then.
Intellectual theft.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 7:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
Intellectual theft.

Thatís all they can do because they have no intellect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 7:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokerboats View Post
That would be Taiwan.
Wherever, but should be right here in the USA.
post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 9:18 PM
Team Member
Kevin

It all comes down to profits, nothing else.

All major corporations have shifted production overseas for one reason only. Profits. When they calculate the cost of labor here in the US (along with liability, taxes, overhead for production) it serves them well to shift it overseas where the labor is so cheap and even after paying the import taxes into the US, it's still cheaper that what it costs to do the same here.

So why would any corporation (strictly looking at the bottom line) want to keep production here? Greed. Greed will always win out over American Pride.
pannetron and BossHogg69 like this.
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I'm not sure why people are blaming China for the virus infecting the U.S. Do you think our government could have kept it out of your state?
Because they lied to the world and said that the virus could not be transmitted between humans. They kept a lid on just how bad it was affecting them and cost the rest of the world precious preparation time. Travel bans to China could have been put in place way sooner had they not lied, not just here, but in Europe and the rest of the world as well. Because they lied, thousands will die who did not have to.

A man with an experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument.
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 11:03 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mosier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
I'm not sure why people are blaming China for the virus infecting the U.S. Do you think our government could have kept it out of your state?
Because they lied to the world and said that the virus could not be transmitted between humans. They kept a lid on just how bad it was affecting them and cost the rest of the world precious preparation time. Travel bans to China could have been put in place way sooner had they not lied, not just here, but in Europe and the rest of the world as well. Because they lied, thousands will die who did not have to.

It’s easy to look back with 20/20 goggles, not so easy at the time, not to mention this is the first time anything to this magnitude has ever happened. Most people hope for the best because it is the easy way, but when it gets hard it’s easy to blame someone else. Not so easy to fix the problem.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 9:52 AM

I would love to think that this pandemic will be the impetus for us to bring manufacturing back to the US, but that will not happen unless there is a major reset in our manufacturing mindset. In the past year I've spoken with two separate vendors who have wanted to have new products made here in the US. Their dream is to have 'MADE IN USA' on the side of the box, but this is how their negotiations typically go:
US supplier- "You pay upfront for all the tooling costs, there's a $150,000+ initial buy-in, and you must buy X-amount every year".
Chinese supplier- "We'll develop a prototype and send it to you, tell us what we need to change and then we'll start production. Initial buy-in around 150 units with no minimum after that".
It kills them to go overseas, but where's the choice? We have a golden opportunity here to bring manufacturing back home, but it will not happen without changing our mindset right here in our own backyard.
69SHEVL and Chevys#1 like this.
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mosier View Post
How do we know the virus ACTUALLY started in China?

This could have been passed around a few months before anyone even died from it. Wuhan is just the place where it broke.
Like North America, Columbus didnt find north america. People were here waaaaay before some ships rolled up.

As far as the Trump comments, Trump has access to the head of every gov office and head official as fast as a phone call. These people know far more about events than the media and keyboard warriors on the internet.
With that said, if trump had taken any other route there would either been more dead from the virus, the economy tanking to the point of devastation or riots, murders, massive pillaging and violence.

He made the best decision based on advice, information, and analysis.

Sheltered crybabies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Gavin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post

All major corporations have shifted production overseas for one reason only. Profits. When they calculate the cost of labor here in the US (along with liability, taxes, overhead for production) it serves them well to shift it overseas where the labor is so cheap and even after paying the import taxes into the US, it's still cheaper that what it costs to do the same here.

So why would any corporation (strictly looking at the bottom line) want to keep production here? Greed. Greed will always win out over American Pride.
^^^^^this.
pannetron likes this.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Salaries, overhead, property taxes, employee benefits and many other factors dictate that a US made product will always be more expensive to the end user, sometimes substantially more expensive than an off shore made import product.

In my business, if I quote a job (typically a sound system for a bar/restaurant/lounge), I MUST use plastic speakers made in China. And the amplifiers I use are made in South Korea. Why? Because all the other companies also bidding on the job are doing the same. If I quoted with US made products, my bid would be more than double-which guaranties I won't get the job. I gotta eat.

The great pro speaker brand JBL. Currently owned by Samsung-along with Crown, DBX, Soundcraft.... All products are made in China or South America.

US consumers are the same. Would you pay 3 times the cost of any product just to get what is virtually the same but US made? I have a set of Asian made headers for my Trans Am (Texas Speed, $450.00). They're really good, I doubt they perform any less than Kook's or ARH headers.

US made 6 ton jack stands from US Jack (D-41610) are $197.00. China made Torin Big Red 6 ton stands are $49.00. Unless you have disposable money and/or are a millionaire, which are YOU buying?

For the record, I bought ARH for the Monte-because ARH is the only maker offering Monte Carlo specific big block headers. Yes, they're different than Chevelle headers. Yes, they were over $1,300.00. And quite honestly, the after assembly clean up and finish on my Chinese Trans Am headers is better. Welds were cleaned up and it looks like they polished it.
pannetron and Chevys#1 like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmakar View Post

Can't be restated enough - so once again.
post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Salaries, overhead, property taxes, employee benefits and many other factors dictate that a US made product will always be more expensive to the end user, sometimes substantially more expensive than an off shore made import product.
In my business, if I quote a job (typically a sound system for a bar/restaurant/lounge), I MUST use plastic speakers made in China. And the amplifiers I use are made in South Korea. Why? Because all the other companies also bidding on the job are doing the same. If I quoted with US made products, my bid would be more than double-which guaranties I won't get the job. I gotta eat.

The great pro speaker brand JBL. Currently owned by Samsung-along with Crown, DBX, Soundcraft.... All products are made in China or South America.

US consumers are the same. Would you pay 3 times the cost of any product just to get what is virtually the same but US made? I have a set of Asian made headers for my Trans Am (Texas Speed, $450.00). They're really good, I doubt they perform any less than Kook's or ARH headers.

US made 6 ton jack stands from US Jack (D-41610) are $197.00. China made Torin Big Red 6 ton stands are $49.00. Unless you have disposable money and/or are a millionaire, which are YOU buying?

For the record, I bought ARH for the Monte-because ARH is the only maker offering Monte Carlo specific big block headers. Yes, they're different than Chevelle headers. Yes, they were over $1,300.00. And quite honestly, the after assembly clean up and finish on my Chinese Trans Am headers is better. Welds were cleaned up and it looks like they polished it.

While what you say is true, if China decided to stop selling us headers, speakers, and jack stands, we'd be fine. When 90% of our medicines come from China so big pharma can save a buck, and China decides to stop the flow of medicine or medical devices, we get it up the ass pretty hard. When we voluntarily put ourselves as a nation in the position where we depend on someone else for everything that sustains us, we better be ready to go without all of it eventually. Here we are. It was always a bad idea, and as I said before, we got spoiled and now we get to pay for it. If we don't wise up quick, it'll be a lot worse next time, and there will most definitely be a next time.
DUKE 69 likes this.

post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 1:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I gotta watch Gran Torino again this weekend.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
I gotta watch Gran Torino again this weekend.
Hahaha, Clint Eastwood...The Man

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1w29SpEVTY
69SHEVL likes this.
post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 4:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCE View Post
I would love to think that this pandemic will be the impetus for us to bring manufacturing back to the US, but that will not happen unless there is a major reset in our manufacturing mindset. In the past year I've spoken with two separate vendors who have wanted to have new products made here in the US. Their dream is to have 'MADE IN USA' on the side of the box, but this is how their negotiations typically go:
US supplier- "You pay upfront for all the tooling costs, there's a $150,000+ initial buy-in, and you must buy X-amount every year".
Chinese supplier- "We'll develop a prototype and send it to you, tell us what we need to change and then we'll start production. Initial buy-in around 150 units with no minimum after that".
It kills them to go overseas, but where's the choice? We have a golden opportunity here to bring manufacturing back home, but it will not happen without changing our mindset right here in our own backyard.
Never happen. Democrat made climate change will forbid it.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in