Team Chevelle banner

so what's the to do thing on your car this year?

4K views 61 replies 53 participants last post by  dozerhand 
#1 ·
I try to do a project a year on one of my cars every year, sometimes a couple. Last year was a rebuilt 3.31 posi with new axles etc for the 70. also did a 454 swap in the camaro.
This year I've been looking at a set of aluminum heads for the 66. The car doesnt need them, I really want a big block in it, but it runs fine with the 350, and thinking a set of 64 cc heads, bump the compression up, might pick up a few ponies.
So, what's the plan???? jim

#3 ·
New 1" rear coil spring spacers, new parking brake cables, new interior lighting, modify shifter mounting and shift lever, repair transmission side cover leak, replace transmission oil, replace clutch disc, strip and repaint drive shaft, change diff oil, replace oil pump and oil pan, convert back from solid to rubber engine mounts, replace headers, re-seal and touch up paint on engine, add electric choke, clean out and re-tune carburetor, replace air cleaner lid, replace rubber fuel lines, re-locate proportioning valve, replace all forward steel brake lines, repaint brake booster, repaint engine compartment, repaint hood hinges, radiator top plate, and hood latch, replace battery, align headlights.

#9 · (Edited)
1. Get the brakes working better
2. Install posi system in 12 bolt
3. Fix and Restore factory AC system.

As soon I get done the front end rebuild of the 03 Avalanche.

#11 ·
I am looking into change out the 540 in my Malibu for a new 755 hp LT-5.

I have talked to David Nickens, everything is now available in the aftermarket to do the conversion.

This would be a huge project. One problem is what to do with 540. I wish I could find a committed buyer who could hear the 540 run while still in the car, then cut a deal for the entire package from ful injection to headers.

It would make someone a great street engine.

As to why I want to do the swap. Just wanting to take a different direction.

#47 ·
My answer to this thread is to get a car. Im looking for a 65 or 67 Chevelle SS, but big blocks are hard to find, let alone afford. So that would lead to a plan B, finding a big block and convert a car to a BB. I have a couple 65 Chevelle car options in the works, nothing going to happen overnight, but everything seems to have SBC engines. PM me and lets see if maybe a 540 can be do-able.

#12 ·
Dash pad.

Sounds simple, but if I'm pulling the dash to replace the pad, that means while I'm there I should replace the ductwork.
And add a decent speaker.
And clean the cluster.
And replace the bulbs.
And replace the wiper and headlight switches.
And replace the cigarette lighter with a USB plug.
And check the wiring.
And replace the wiring when I see what a rats nest it has become...

#28 ·
Dash pad.

Sounds simple, but if I'm pulling the dash to replace the pad, that means while I'm there I should replace the ductwork.
And add a decent speaker.
And clean the cluster.
And replace the bulbs.
And replace the wiper and headlight switches.
And replace the cigarette lighter with a USB plug.
And check the wiring.
And replace the wiring when I see what a rats nest it has become...

This is what is known as "mission creep". I have this problem all the time. :smile2:

#13 ·
replace window felts
replace rear speakers
install missing side trim
Already have everything to do that, just need to get it done.
Have to work that in around some house projects we have on the go...
Cant wait till the weather co-operates and can get started on it all!

#14 ·
Hopefully just drive and race the Beaumont this year. It's the Bronco's turn for some attention. It needs a fan shroud built and some tuning. Probably going to ditch the over complicated dura spark ignition and convert to an HEI setup.

Reactions: 427L88
#15 ·
Had rear gears changed from 4.33 to 3.73 new axles all new seals, buying new driveshaft when I decide from who, install new window felts had them 2 years, install edelbrock fuel pump, have hood painted in flat black, buff car, change plugs and new oil then drive shooting to have done by mid April oh and reconnect speakers to factory AM radio and reinstall the 8 track as I have some R&B tapes that need to be heard

#16 ·
:cool: Replace the upper and lower radiator hoses. The lower hose has a leak. Drop the oil pan and slap a band aide the OP gasket, which is also leaking. Minor, minor leaks that are a total PITA. Truth be told, I have a huge list that I'm currently ignoring.

Clean her wax her and drive the tires off her.

#18 ·
Currently replacing all of the bearings in the 12 bolt and axles. One of them has been making a little noise the last two years and getting worse by the end of last summer. Hard telling which one and since I'm pretty sure they are all originals it's time for new Timkins.

#19 ·
More of next year project but starting on it this fall. Pulling engine/trans, new oil pan gasket, rear main seal, general clean up, then start the 4 speed conversion. Going with Jody's M22W with Long shifter setup. Can't wait to get the auto trans out and make it a proper muscle car. No offense to the auto fans..lol

#20 ·
I had plans to replace the throw out bearing but I now I am having rotator cuff surgery in two weeks.

So that kind of puts heavy lifting on the back burner for a while.

#22 ·
Be careful gentlemen on what you start. I decided it was time to completely rewire my 54 year old wiring so I invested in an AWW upgrade kit. While I was
scratching my head wondering what I had gotten myself into I thought it might be a good time to replace some OE switches too. I'm unimpressed with what came with the kit so I sourced some nicer quality stuff. Then I thought while I'm at it I might install a Dakota Digital RTX instrument cluster and all new bezels so I picked that stuff up too. Then I thought it might be time to replace the am/cassette radio and optional 10 disc CD changer too so I popped for a new retrosound radio with bluetooth. So after years of power upgrades an various engine/transmission and suspension upgrades it is off on another tangent, dash panel resto. Thankfully taxes are friendlier now than under the last administration but this stuff is a challenge at my age and physical state. That's my current story.

#25 ·
I have to reassemble my engine and install, put shielding on the wires coming from my 6A box because my electronic speedometer doesn't like it, install my cruise control, and make a trip back to the body shop to get the blistering paint on my hood repaired. I also have to find that motivation that I lost somewhere.

Reactions: b&b's69
#26 ·
Put the new crappy fitting trim/molding on (and try to make it look good) rear window molding with a 1" too wide opening (body guy didn't measure for new quarters?) get the new hidden wipers working, get brake lights working, fix the pass side window from coming off track and finish the 489 and install...I think that's it for this year, if I get it done, done? haha >:)

#29 ·
This will be a continuation of what I started last fall :

Remove axle, clean / paint and install Eaton Truetrac - done.
Replace worn out body mounts and hardware - done.

Auto part Rotor Knockout punch Rim Wheel

Remove tranny, fix leaking speedo cable bullet o-ring. install new TC.
Replace rear shocks, upper and lower control arms.
Weld in new Black Widow mufflers. Mainly because I don't like my neighbors :grin2:
Add secondary throttle linkage to my Holley. per Salty.

Must be completed by May 1st. I'm getting an itchy trigger right foot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.