Leaky water tank - Flex-seal? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 70SSTHUMPER

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 3:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage
Leaky water tank - Flex-seal?

Due to the coronavirus i have to get our old water truck back on the road for spring. (true story) I had my boss talked into replacing it, but for some reason one of our larger customers is holding off on some work due to Coronavirus, and that has my boss worried about spending excess money before the year starts. The water tank on this truck leaks like a sieve. We did some welding to it last year, which proved to be pretty futile. Its really hard to see where its leaking from. Inside the tank there are some ribs that go front to back, and 2 baffles, so its not just like an empty round tank inside. My idea is to basically dump a gallon (or 2, 3, etc) of flex seal (or like product) and kind of mop it around the bottom of the tank, maybe do it 2-3 times, in hope it helps slow down the leaks.

Anybody have a favorite product for this task? I have never used flex seal, thats just what comes to mind. I'm not looking to turn this into a big project. Honestly, the more this truck leaks, the quicker i can replace it, but if im doing the mechanical stuff to it, i might as well give plugging some of the leaks a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Wes

Garage
Re: Leaky water tank - Flex-seal?

In my opinion, Flex seal would be (if it works) a very temporary fix.

1967 Chevelle SS (2020 Drag week hopeful)
1971 Nova SS

Keep on keeping on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 5:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Not sure about your approach Dan, you may want to do some footwork on the use of that product in conjunction with, let's say Drinking water. Otherwise like Wes said, short term at best. When you look into the cost of that product, then the cost to remove it when you get around to a real fix, not sure if just fixing it right is not the best route to go.
68-13427 likes this.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
1970 Chevelle 517 cid, TH400, best ET mid 9's. #19.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Not sure about your approach Dan, you may want to do some footwork on the use of that product in conjunction with, let's say Drinking water. Otherwise like Wes said, short term at best. When you look into the cost of that product, then the cost to remove it when you get around to a real fix, not sure if just fixing it right is not the best route to go.
The right fix is a new truck and new tank. The truck and tank is what i would consider past its serviceable life. The tank is really a mess, we did weld in it last year with limited success. Basically the truck needs to go to the auction.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 20, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

On airplanes with "wet wing" fuel tanks e.g. C-130, sections of the inside of the wing are sealed-of to make fuel tanks. See figure 18...

https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/...wings-are.html

Maybe you can track down some of this sealant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in