Team Chevelle banner

Did a 64 Chevelle with L76 engine (365hp/327) get built?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Cam 
#1 ·
For MANY, MANY years there have been rumors, supposed sightings and sworn statements that a VERY small quantity of 64 Chevelles were built with the solid lifter, Holley carbed, 365hp/327 engine. In Mike Muller's book, Chevy Chevelle 50 years, he states that a small number were built and in Robert Colvin's Chevy by the Numbers 60-64, pg 160, he shows an engineering drawing for a left side log style exhaust manifold with a 2 1/2in outlet for a 300 and 365hp engine (no right side shown with the same size outlet).
We all know that the ONLY SB ex manifolds with 2 1/2in outlets were 1962-65 Ram Horn, which of course WILL NOT fit a Chevelle.

Soooooooooooo, my question, has ANYONE ever seen, or know of the existence of, such a 64 Chevelle??????????

The closest to this combination is the 65 with the L79 engine-----------------BUT THOSE ONLY HAD 2IN OUTLET EXHAUST MANIFOLDS!!!

#2 ·
It's possible that the truck ones may haved worked as they are ram horn manifolds that angle at the bottom.

#4 ·
FIRST, no the truck manifolds will not work.

SECOND, even if the truck manifolds would work, Chevrolet NEVER, repeat, NEVER made a truck manifold that angled back with a 2 1/2in outlet. That is my NUMBER ONE, PRIMARY interest------------finding a 2 1/2in cast iron manifold for a small block to fit in a Chevelle (I'm talking a pure, bolt-in fit). That would be the ULTIMATE find!!!!!!!

I'm specifically referring to this style of manifold----------------WITH 2 1/2IN OUTLETS!!!!!!!

Attachments

#3 ·
In all these years no credible examples have ever shown up. Ever. Same for the log style manifolds. I'm certain Chevy made up one or more test mules (such a thing was even mentioned in an automotive magazine back in the day) but none ever made it to the public. It is clear Chevy intended to build them since engineering drawings exist, evidence lies in the Assembly Instruction Manual and engine codes were documented, but it just didn't happen.

Claims have been made, no credible evidence has ever surfaced.

#6 ·
I'm building a lookalike now for my '64 2 door wagon. Visually it will appear to be a L76, but i'm using the L79 hydraulic cam. Believe me I've thought about switching it to the solid cam, but I already had the hydraulic on hand & ready to go.

#7 ·
that was the only difference for a Corvette between the L79 and L65 was the cam and lifters. so it will appear just like a L79

#8 ·
Did a '64 Chevelle with L-76 get built by Chevrolet? Probably by the engineering staff but not released. There was also an accurate tribute built by a Chevelle enthusiast on a Flame Red '64 Malibu SS complete with proper castings and so-forth. I saw it in Super Chevy (I think) about 15 years ago. Hmm, early Muncie & an 8.2" 10-bolt.
A '65 Chevelle with L-79 will do as it is almost the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.