Home/Garage electrical question - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 2:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Home/Garage electrical question

In my shop the lighting fixtures are run along rafters. The wiring and the fixtures are all encased in conduit and metal fixture boxes. Are these conduits and boxes connected to ground (I'm assuming the building was built to code)?

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 2:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Home/Garage electrical question

Yes they should be.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 2:36 PM
Administrator

Garage

If using outlet plugs to power the lights the recepticles are grounded to metal mounting flange and that mounts to the metal box connected to the conduit. If hard wired you will have to pull the covers off and inspect or check for continuity between the ground buss in the panel and the conduit.
shovelrick likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I'll double check the wiring inside the fixture box in question.
LeoP likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:52 PM
Tech Team

Garage

When I wired my shop I used the metal conduit and boxes as the ground path back to the load center. The city inspectors (2) argued amounts themselves in front of me as to whether or not it was code.
They ultimately decided it was legal and signed off.
Phew....
shovelrick likes this.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 7:05 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Electricity will take the path of least resistance back to ground. A ground wire back to the breaker box, from there to a ground rod into the earth would be best. Grounding through the conduit will work but isn’t the best practice.
lucifershammer likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 8:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

There needs to be a hard ground wired from box to box. While the conduit can create a ground, if the mechanical connection becomes disconnected or loose, then you lose ground to the remaining boxes in the circuit.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 8:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Yes but you can't use it for the grounding circuit. There should also be a grounding (green or bare) wire inside the conduit that would carry current in the case of a fault instead of you being the wire to ground.. That's why we have three prong plugs....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 8:58 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

It really depends on what the Housing Authority in your area says and maybe how long it's bee how it is but I've seen too many conduit connections that have come apart to depend on the conduit only for being the ground.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 9:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

In the 80-10's we used EMT conduit for ground and used a green pigtail with green ground screw to the junction box to recep/switch/fixture, I no longer do elec. work but texted the elec. contractor that works with me if it's still done this way, curious myself now

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 9:12 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

There is no guarantee that the conduit will run all the way back to the main AC panel especially if it runs through walls. A normal 120v 3 wire (hot, neutral and ground) will tie back at the box. The neutral and ground become one in the AC breaker box and are connected to an earth ground. Relying on a conduit for ground is dangerous not to mention could cause ground loops which has negative effects on electronics. Always rely on your neutral and ground wires for protection.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Elec. cont. friend said it's no longer legal, IMO I'm sure it was when your garage was built in less it's new, I'd OHM it out and see if it's good or run a separate ground wire to be on the safe side

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 11:22 AM
Team Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Elec. cont. friend said it's no longer legal, IMO I'm sure it was when your garage was built in less it's new, I'd OHM it out and see if it's good or run a separate ground wire to be on the safe side
I just went through this when my house was built 2 years ago. Code in my county (Hernando County Florida) required the ground be tied via a grounding pigtail (greenie screwed into the box itself and tied to the active ground which goes all the way back to the main/sub panel) in each and every metal/junction box. Conduit is no longer considered a "safe" ground because of corrosion.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 12:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Grounding is argued everywhere. I helped a friend wire his house, and the inspector made him ground his plastic boxes. "I says in the code book that all boxes must be grounded.", the inspector replied. And they wonder why people get upset with inspectors.

I personally had issues one time. I changed my service to my new garage and fed the house from the garage because I needed to upgrade the house panel, too. I installed a ground rod for the new panel at the garage. I ran underground conductors and a separate copper ground for the house feed. I put a new sub-panel in the house and separated the grounds and neutral in that panel. I also grounded the water pipes. My mistake was to leave the old ground rod at the house. The inspector said that you can only have one ground rod on the system. My thinking is that you can't have enough grounds if you get a lightning strike, but I was wrong according to the inspector. I then said the water line ground is a second ground. He still would not listen to reason, so I had to remove the house ground rod from the house panel. Allow me to repeat myself, and they wonder why people get upset with inspectors. That wasn't the only issue, but I digress...

Rich, I would run a separate ground in the conduit.

'69 Chevelle SS ("NOT" ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

To be clear, the wiring in the conduit is three strand wire so there IS a ground wire (this building is only about 10-15 years old). My question was only if the housings and conduits are typically connected to the ground circuit. I haven't actually looked inside the terminal box yet but I'm guessing the ground circuit is connected to the box and conduit as well if that is normal and correct practice. The building was wired by a contractor and our local inspectors are pretty strict.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in