Team Chevelle banner

Anyone Buying Stocks?

7K views 108 replies 33 participants last post by  427L88 
#1 ·
With the huge market drop in the last 2 days, is anyone here investing in the stock market? If so, which are good buys?

#7 ·
Just can't bring myself to trust a stranger with my money. :noway:

Reactions: Derek69SS
#14 ·
Your mattress must be really lumpy. >:)

I'm not a stranger Mike...I'll take it! :thumbsup:

Von, I'm always interested in the market, but neither buying or selling right now. I've been kicked in the A$$ by some stocks in the past, so I try not to do speculate too much anymore.

Reactions: b&b's69 and von
#8 ·
Not yet, i'm also waiting on mortgage rates for a refi

#10 ·
I have been in a fairly aggressive package at work for years, and I must say the last 2-3 have been extremely good to me, many down turns, but man overall rate of return of close to 30%, I am fine with down turns, just so you aren't cashing in right now. I plan on increasing my contribution more, but can't at the moment, but would love to get some USA on sale as it were.

#13 ·
Just riding out the storm. Been investing for over 30 years now and seen many highs and lows. This is just another one.

My daughter is wrapping up her Senior year at UC. Cashed out the last of her college fund last week. Timing couldn't have been better.

#23 ·
Since i said "technicals" above, I thought I'd share....

The moving averages ( a smoothed average closing price across 40 days (PURPLE LINE) and 105 days ( green line) below) set up "support" levels, basically confluences of past human behavior. On this DOW30 chart , you can clearly see the different "pauses" the DOW took on the way down, and the red line which shows near where we are today, very near a past area or "confluence" of support. It could catch gear in here, or it could break down a bit more into the the mid 25,K range.

PS I posted the DOW30 and not broader, more predictive, market indexes for a reason, the DOW is maybe the least predictive of them all - so PLEASE its only an education piece, not a prediction or forecast.....

Individual securities also have their own "charts" to help decide when to buy, when to wait, or when to sell if you prefer. What you see is a "trading" chart I had a CMT build for me ( I aint so smart y'all)

"See what you can see"......... if you "see" anything and you'd like a pic of you fav stock, hit me up.......but dont ask me for much interpretation. The chart *ought* show you enough.

PS the market hasn't coughed up 10% this quickly ( 5 trading days!) since... can you guess? Ya, the BIG ONE. not 1987, and not even 2009.

HOLY :eek:

Attachments

#24 ·
Well, today was pretty ugly.

Two days ago I bought some defensive near the money puts on the SPY index. They are already up 140% in the past two days... :surprise:

The questions now are - how low will it drop, and how fast will it keep dropping? I’m thinking tomorrow could be just as ugly as today as no one will want to be holding over the weekend. Or we may get a big dead cat bounce. This market is nuts.

#28 ·
I've never bought a share of stock, but I did know Saul Miller before he passed.
Saul was one of the guys who did the real work behind "When E.F. Hutton speaks people listen".
Up before dawn and still at it until late, but he made very good money, traveled, and enjoyed his Jaguars.

He told me in no uncertain terms that stocks are a long term game, any plan based on less than five years may as well be day trading, and day trading is not really any different than going to 'Vegas craps tables.
This conversation came up a few years after the "Black Friday" of the '80's.
Saul pointed out that those who had NOT dumped their stocks were doing just fine by that time.
I doubt the realities have changed since.

#31 ·
That's the same feeling I had last Friday, and kicked out all the rest of the Dow Diamonds we owned ( DOW 30 index) . Geez, first sales at 293 ( prior to last week) , and today you get to buy them back at 249.

HOLY CRAP!

#32 ·
I'm not buying yet. This has a bit to go before the bottom, but I will start buying small lots soon. I have certain stocks I own that when they drop a certain percentage, I'll buy a few more. BP for instance, I always try to pick up a few shares when it dips below $30. You don't get much appreciation but it pays a pretty good dividend when it's at that price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.