Team Chevelle banner

Any other left-handers here?

5K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  joeyv69ragtop 
#1 ·
I didn't know where else to put this thread. The "Current Events" forum is mainly for news and politics. But the mods will move it if they see fit.

Who else here is left handed? I happen to have a twin brother, but unlike me, he is right handed. Maybe being a twin and being left handed makes me double-wierd, eh? My wife is left handed too. They say that a big majority of left handed people are men. IDK if that's a fact, but it has been rare for me to meet left handed women,(not that I know of anyway. It isn't like i was looking for a left hander female). Do you other left handers here believe that right handed people view you as an alien from outter space? :D

"South-paws do everything backwards! They even think backwards!" l:)

You guys (and gals) remember those worthless green rubber handled left handed scissors they gave us to use in school? I couldn't use those to save my life. They plain sucked. I would always end up ripping the paper. LOL.....To this day I use scissors with my right hand only.

#5 ·
I have identical twin daughters and one is right handed and the other left handed. When they got glasses we found out their eyes were the same just on the opposite side. They can wear each others glasses if they are upside down or contacts if they switch right for left. It's called mirror image twins. When I had trouble telling them apart I would throw something to them to see which hand they caught with until they figured out what I was doing.

#7 ·
Yep, I hear of "mirror" twins. That's pretty funny about the ball throwing trick to reveal identity. :D

My daughter is left handed.
My mom was left handed until about 8 years old when her crazy superstitious witch of a mother tied her left hand behind her back on a daily basis during the summer time until she had to use her right hand. "Your left hand is the devil" whacko grandmother of mine. She hated kids. It's amazing she didn't just amputate her left hand while she was at it. Crazy witch.

#11 ·
Lefty here also, as was my father, and grandfather. My FIL was also a southpaw. They tried to change me to righty in schools early years but when it got to the point that I couldn't read my own writing taking school notes I switched myself back. I sure didn't like getting my knuckles whacked with a ruler from my grade 1 teacher everytime she saw me with a pencil in my left hand.

#17 ·
Wow, that's a decent portion of your clan. I call my wife a "fake lefty" because she also does a lot of things with her right hand.

I'm left handed, the oldest of 12 kids, and the only lefty.

I agree, God made everyone right handed, the smart ones switched.

I can't use left handed scissors, but use right handed scissors with my left hand.

My Dad told me that when I started school, they pinned a note to my shirt stating I was left handed and with his ok, they'd switch me. He wrote back he was happy I could use my hands and to leave me alone. The other kids who were left handed got the ruler. Those nuns were nasty, hid the ruler under their cape.
I don't know how the heck you use standard scissors with your left hand. I didn't think that was possible since I believe the blades are angled or pitched in a direction for the right hand. I dunno, maybe that doesn't even make sense. That's what i thought anyway. That's a cool story about what your dad wrote on that note. I like that. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My dad was a lefty. He had the most beautiful signature you've ever seen. I still shoot a rifle lefty because he's the one that taught me, though I'm a righty.

He was treated poorly by some teachers too but he never let them get the better of him and he was left handed through thick and thin. Never understood why that was ever viewed as such a negative thing.
So if you shoot right handed rifles and shotguns left handed, then you have to be careful with side port ejection receivers so that you don't get hot brass being thrown in your face or on your right shoulder just like I do, eh? That's one reason why I like my Mossberg shotgun since it has bottom ejection.

The old Catholics were taught a lot of superstitous crap even in the church, and they mixed ridiculous superstions with what the Bible says. Here's how that applies: It says in the Bible that on the day of Judgement, the Lord will separate the sheep from the goats, (the "sheep" being the followers of the good sheperd Jesus Christ) and the goats, (the unbelievers) will go to the left, and the sheep will go to the right.

Well if the catholic nuns really read and knew their own Bible, they would know that the left and the right reference was just a connection of where the scripture also says that after Christ died and rose again on the 3rd day, he then went up to heaven after eating and speaking with his followers fora little while, and that he is seated at the RIGHT hand of the Father in heaven, and that he intercedes for us. And that's it. That's all it says about "left" and "right" which has absolutely NOTHING to do with which hand a person uses to eat with, to write with, or wrench with for that matter. :D

But the old Catholic superstitious nonsense dictated that being left handed was a sign of the devil. How ridiculous is that? I would've told those nuns to brush the inch layer of dust off of their Bibles and start reading it for themselves before passing nonsense superstitious-driven judgement on me. That whole thing reminds me of the movie "The Water Boy" with Adam Sandler where his mother said that everything "was the DEVIL!!!" But that's a Hollywood comedy. What's the catholic church's excuse? Oh BTW, I was raised a catholic, but I didn't go to a catholic school fortunately.

#15 ·
I'm left handed, the oldest of 12 kids, and the only lefty.

I agree, God made everyone right handed, the smart ones switched.

I can't use left handed scissors, but use right handed scissors with my left hand.

My Dad told me that when I started school, they pinned a note to my shirt stating I was left handed and with his ok, they'd switch me. He wrote back he was happy I could use my hands and to leave me alone. The other kids who were left handed got the ruler. Those nuns were nasty, hid the ruler under their cape.

#18 · (Edited)
The other kids who were left handed got the ruler. Those nuns were nasty, hid the ruler under their cape.
yeah but those nasty nazi nuns did teach me English and Math very well. I invoked their memory while teaching finance class just this morning, " now, I should be able to do this calculation in my head, like the nun's taught us to do and BEAT us if we couldn't! " which is only half true. I love my nazi nuns now, and I was their near 200lbs handful of irreverent punk, to be sure. I mean DAMN can I calculate on the fly for a dumbass. Pain was a good motivator!

We have one son who is half a lefty, but right eye dominant ( we shoot alot , so we've discovered). It helped him as a little league pitcher ( and batter) to be sure! He pretty much hates my AR's, loves our Ithaca Deerslayer ( bottom ejection), but runs all the bolts with ease. I did pick him up a Savage 11 in lefty some time back. But .243 isn't what he needs out in Colorado!

I was raised Orthodox, and sent to a "regular" Catholic school where I could torment the nuns and wondered why the Monsignor had a fancy ass pool table and a Volvo, where we had no ROOM for a pool table in our APARTMENT, and dad was driving a used Pontiac Skychief. ( damn I wish I had that car). " he pops, dont priest take some sort of vow of charity, like no cool stuff?: "yes" "Then why does Monsignor Babak have cooler stuff than anyone I know?" I dont remember his answer, but I DO remember staying, Yeah my dad says Babak aint fo rreal, he's FAKE! :)

Unwittingly, my interrogator/ counterintelligence training starts in catholic grade school. Even though I dont do it anymore, I can still "smell" a fake a mile away.

I wont burden you all with the whole "test question" story, but I told son #1 when he was in grade school to ask the parish priest the same question he had just asked me. Well, the priest answers differently, and Jake says, Dad, was he wrong? I said no Jake, he is a FAKER. Just because a man wear's a collar don't mean he is for real. He later learned the broader concept, just because someone LOOKS LIKE an adult, dont mean they are.

PS come to find out, the faker, Father Robert Wolski of St Peter and Paul, in Hamburg NY was an abuser. I thank GOD Monsignor Babak taught me, unknowingly, the difference between the real deal, and the "deal dough" , which has served me well, and even ferreted out a few Russian rats from under our own defense complex. I can SMELL the bastards! ( I prolly should have stayed in CI, but it was getting SUPER techy, adn I'm old school by nature.)

Reactions: 71350SS
#16 ·
My dad was a lefty. He had the most beautiful signature you've ever seen. I still shoot a rifle lefty because he's the one that taught me, though I'm a righty.

He was treated poorly by some teachers too but he never let them get the better of him and he was left handed through thick and thin. Never understood why that was ever viewed as such a negative thing.

#19 ·
Well billy g here,s my two cents . You hit upon something i too am a lefty but i am also ambidextrous. I can write with both hands . Lefties use the right side of the brain . I also have the stigma of going to catholic parochial scools from 1958 through 1970. The first 2 years we had the franciscan brothers . They did not try to change cany of us except for disciplin. Then we got the notre dame penguins excuse me nuns and the reign of terror started. We had to learn the correct palmer method of handwriting and when old leadbottomsaw i was a lefty it wasa like a red cape to a wild bull. I cant tell you the amount of times i got the ruler across the knucles and the yardstick while bent over a desk , to change me . Today they would be brought up on charges for many things. They were real nasty b------es not a good one among them. We all did get real good educations far better than public schools for the time frame but all us kids paid the price for one infraction or another.i used to right punishments out with both left and right . Eventually i just used my right to avoidthe ruler and yardsticks. You must understand in those days parents did not question a catholic priest or nun and this was long before any of the stuff that went on much later with the sexual abuse i did no see any of that back then . But some of thier teaching methods like beating it into you or changing what hand you favored should have been questioned even bacck then. Being a lefty has its good points for many things it also has drawbacks as being only a righty does. Let people be what they are naturaly because that is the person. Being a left handed person is not a crime and should not be treated as such. These days i question everything starting first with the catholic church . I have said my peace thanks for the time. Alex

#20 ·
Amen Alex, and I went into some detail above as to what they taught me early on.

"false prophets".... hell y'all, to me they ALL are...until proven "guilty". I am Doubting Thomas. That's how the Lord made me I reckon! Preacher men and I often get along like two cats ready to tear each other up, although i keep my cards in my vest so they don't sense the abject scrutiny coming from Jesuit brainwashed interrogator. Oh, yeah, PS, the Jesuits caught me in highschool. That was a completely different experience.

Peace and blessings to all the believers. To all.

#21 ·
I'm a lefty, and part of my profession is sign painting and pinstriping. It's not too difficult to letter backwards, but a script has to be done left to right.

Trying not to run my hand through the wet paint can get interesting. :smile2:

Reactions: joeyv69ragtop
#25 ·
Left handed people are the only people in their right minds. I am a lefty but I play guitar RH'ed. I also over time do more stuff right handed also. My Dad was also a lefty but when he was a kid my grandparents made him right handed. As a result of that my Dad used to stutter at times, when I asked why he did that he told me it did not start until he was forced to be right handed. Didn't matter what hand he used when he hit me as kid it still hurt on my bottom right or left handed.

Reactions: 427L88
#27 ·
I'm a lefty, too. I use scissors with my right hand because of those danged grade school scissors, too. I hand tighten bolts with my right and loosen them with my left. My son married a red-headed lefty, so we sit together in restaurants. Many engineers are left handed, also.

My a$$ beatings in public school was do to behavior...not from being left handed. :D A teacher hit me so hard one time that it split the paddle in half. It didn't seem to slow me down though.

#44 ·
Many engineers are left handed, also.
When my sister entered public school, they took the pencil out of her left hand and tried to make her write right-handed. My mother would have none of it. The following year I entered school and mom told the teacher this one was left handed too, so don't even think about trying to change him. And yes, I am also a mechanical engineer. I write, eat, throw, bat and shoot left-handed. But I do use right-handed scissors.

Reactions: davewho1 and 427L88
#30 ·
By reading these posts i can see that even in other states the penguins were also notorious.the way they intimidated traumatised and beat us to oblivion i can still recall each and every one. I hope they are al in a very warm place. Second grade sr.m j aka jesse james 3rd sr.f p pigeon face 4th sr. G e tomato face 5th gr. Sr. A b old lead bottom with the glasses she looked like captain binghampton. 6th gr sr. M a quick draw mc graw 7th gr. Sr s a smiling alfred 8th gr. Sr. A f honey west. You can see they left a lasting impression i dont think i would want to do that over again. High scholl was just as bad but in different ways .they still used the rullers and yard sticks but not nearly as much as grade school. They used more embarrassment and intimidation mind games and simillar tactics. Here again a much different time and mindset than today. Today on the other hand its gone to the opposite extreme . Its truly mind boggling that we never found a happy medium between the two .i am greatful for the education i got but not for anything else . Alex

#31 ·
I'm also left handed, although I'm kind of a hybrid. I write and eat left handed, but I throw and play golf right handed. I found out I was left eye dominate at the DOW booth at the NE state fair when it was my turn to shoot the BB guns. The ranger did a brief test and told me I should shoot left handed. I've always been so thankful for that correction!

My oldest daughter is also left handed. FWIW My son enjoys working with me because one of us can successfully get to that hard to access fastener with the strong hand.

I'm ok using the RH scissors, but I always wanted to try a LH pair. A skill saw is another tool that is awkward to use as a lefty (although there are LH models out there).

I notice a lot of the waiters taking orders are lefty's. Likely because that is the only time you see a person writing.

#38 ·
I am left handed as is my son and one of my brothers. Although my son and brother do everything left handed, I do some things right handed such as swing a golf club and a baseball bat right handed.

Reactions: BillyGman
#39 ·
My name is Terry, and i am Left-handed. I did not have to deal with the knuckle rapping nuns thankfully. I do most tasks with my left hand , but as others have said, use my right hand to tighten fasteners, and left to loosen. I was a right hand shooter when i played hockey, but played golf left handed. Oh, and i did run with the right handed scissors in my left hand.>:) Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.