Any other left-handers here? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 9:52 AM
Tech Team
Red

Re: Any other left-handers here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnugene View Post
. I used to come home from school with a blackened left hand from rubbing across what I had just written.
Yup, me too all the time. One of my wifes best friends when we first met was a lefty also but she wrote in a way I've never seen a lefty write. Most of us lefties write backhand from over the top but she used to turn the page 90 degrees to the right and write from underneath kinda sideways like. She never had a problem with getting ink or lead on her hand, sure did look weird though. We named our youngest daughter after this lady.
Saltherring likes this.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Yeah, I know of a lefty like that sort of, upside down guitar! And maybe, just maybe, if there is such a thing as heaven, I can sit in with Jimi for a song or two. If Billy Cox will let me, that is!

See that Billy, you leftys friggin ROCK!

Another lefty out by us Gene. My buddy Dan aka danimal cannon

His solo stuff with gameboy chiptunes

With his band armcannon

With weapon-x

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 10:30 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Another lefty here. Sort of a hybrid/ambidextrous but mostly left.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 20, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
Yup, me too all the time. One of my wifes best friends when we first met was a lefty also but she wrote in a way I've never seen a lefty write. Most of us lefties write backhand from over the top but she used to turn the page 90 degrees to the right and write from underneath kinda sideways like. She never had a problem with getting ink or lead on her hand, sure did look weird though. We named our youngest daughter after this lady.
That's the way I do it.

I remember Little League............My Dad had to buy me a left handed glove to play, but when I walked up the plate, I batted right handed. Go figure.
71350SS and 1943MB like this.

66 Malibu

post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 12:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I'm right handed. I have 5 kids. Boy, 3 girls, boy. My oldest daughter is left handed, and her grandmother on her mom's side is also. She's very creative and artistic. I always had a hard time teaching her how to do anything because she used the wrong hand! but I never tried to stop her.

I wrench for a living, and occasionally for what ever reason only my left hand will go where I need to. It's my dumb hand, but does the job nearly as well as the right.

Devin
Saltherring likes this.

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Redneck View Post
My dada was right handed but he wrote like that too. With the paper turned sideways.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 11:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
That's the way I do it.

I remember Little League............My Dad had to buy me a left handed glove to play, but when I walked up the plate, I batted right handed. Go figure.
My dad was a baseball star and left-handed hitter (he threw right-handed). So when I stated playing ball (and throwing left-handed), dad expected me to bad left-handed too. But I did like the other kids and hit from the right side, right on up to "B" string Little League, when I came to realize I was a natural left-handed hitter. My success at the plate improved immensely after that.
71350SS likes this.
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
My dad was a baseball star and left-handed hitter (he threw right-handed). So when I stated playing ball (and throwing left-handed), dad expected me to bad left-handed too. But I did like the other kids and hit from the right side, right on up to "B" string Little League, when I came to realize I was a natural left-handed hitter. My success at the plate improved immensely after that.
Wow that's a very unusual story. I've never heard of anyone doing that, (batting from their weak side without even knowing it). That must have been quite an ego boost for you once you began hitting from your strong side.
Saltherring likes this.

post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Wow that's a very unusual story. I've never heard of anyone doing that, (batting from their weak side without even knowing it). That must have been quite an ego boost for you once you began hitting from your strong side.
I wasn't a bad right hand hitter, but all the same saw the ball much better from the left side and therefore reacted much quicker. And with 90% of the kids hitting right-handed, young pitchers weren't all that used to throwing to left-handed hitters and made more "mistakes". And good hitters know what to do with "mistake" pitches.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 1:53 PM
Tech Team
Lorne

Garage

I am a lefty, so is my wife, my brother was a lefty also but when he went to school they made him switch to right handed. then his son was born left handed also, the school wanted to make him switch but my brother went to the school & told them to leave him as he was which they did. My brother said he had a very rough time to switch & didn't want his son go through the same bullsh1t.
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

When the flag drops the bullsh1t stops!

63 Vette rdstr 327/4p sold in 80's
68 Z28 Camaro
70 LS6 454 Chevelle apart for refreshing
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 3:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperf406 View Post
I am a lefty, so is my wife, my brother was a lefty also but when he went to school they made him switch to right handed. then his son was born left handed also, the school wanted to make him switch but my brother went to the school & told them to leave him as he was which they did. My brother said he had a very rough time to switch & didn't want his son go through the same bullsh1t.
Good move by your brother to confront the school about his son.

post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 4:05 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

Lefty here....

I HATED it growing up. I played baseball up through high school and all I ever wanted to play was 3rd base or shortstop. Never happening, its pretty much impossible to be a left handed 3rd baseman. I got stuck at 1st base.

When I went to Marine Corps boot camp, the only benefit to being a lefty was I got to throw hand grenades first. We lefty's throw the M-67 fragmentation grenade differently so all the lefty's got to go first. At first I thought we'd get to chill while all the righty's threw....if you know anything about Marine Corps boot camp, there's no such thing as chilling. They decided we should do push ups and sit ups while everyone else waited their turn to throw.

And it was a real benefit on the rifle range....the M-16A2 is supposed to be an ambidextrous weapon....It is except for shooting lefty...ha ha. I have 2 scars on my neck where hot brass went down inside my collar. Again, if you know anything about the Marine Corps, jumping around because you are being burned with hot brass would have resulted in an ass whipping so I sucked it up and have the scars to remember it by all these years later.

Now as an adult, it doesn't really bother me. People say lefty's are artistic. I know I am very talented at drawing and design but it sort of comes naturally. I don't work at it. When my kids were young, we were drawing on the driveway with chalk. My son asked me to draw him a dinosaur so I drew this extremely detailed T-Rex for him and my wife was in awe. She said where were you hiding that talent. I just shrugged it off.

Thankfully both of my kids are righty's.
[email protected] likes this.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 4:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw468 View Post
Lefty here....

I HATED it growing up. I played baseball up through high school and all I ever wanted to play was 3rd base or shortstop. Never happening, its pretty much impossible to be a left handed 3rd baseman. I got stuck at 1st base.

When I went to Marine Corps boot camp, the only benefit to being a lefty was I got to throw hand grenades first. We lefty's throw the M-67 fragmentation grenade differently so all the lefty's got to go first. At first I thought we'd get to chill while all the righty's threw....if you know anything about Marine Corps boot camp, there's no such thing as chilling. They decided we should do push ups and sit ups while everyone else waited their turn to throw.

And it was a real benefit on the rifle range....the M-16A2 is supposed to be an ambidextrous weapon....It is except for shooting lefty...ha ha. I have 2 scars on my neck where hot brass went down inside my collar. Again, if you know anything about the Marine Corps, jumping around because you are being burned with hot brass would have resulted in an ass whipping so I sucked it up and have the scars to remember it by all these years later.

Now as an adult, it doesn't really bother me. People say lefty's are artistic. I know I am very talented at drawing and design but it sort of comes naturally. I don't work at it. When my kids were young, we were drawing on the driveway with chalk. My son asked me to draw him a dinosaur so I drew this extremely detailed T-Rex for him and my wife was in awe. She said where were you hiding that talent. I just shrugged it off.

Thankfully both of my kids are righty's.
That part about being a left handed Marine is funny. But as far as growing up being left handed in sports, (especially baseball) it didn't bother me at all. I guess it's because my older brothers encouraged me a lot,(even though all three of them were right handed). Whenever we watched baseball on TV, they would say things like: "hey Billy, look at who's up to bat for the giants. It's Willie McCovey. He's a lefty like you are, and he can park the ball over the fence in a heartbeat."..."Look at how he holds three bats in his hands and swings them around when he's warming up in the batters box. He's a big bruiser." So when I would mess around playing whiffle ball and baseball, I would pretend I was Willie McCovey, simply because he was left handed like me.

As far as on the field, I always played the outfield because I had speed, and as you know, it doesn't matter what hand you throw with in the outfield. Then there came another left handed favorite of mine: Reggie Jackson. I remember seeing that guy get knocked on his azzz by a mean brush back pitch thrown right at his head, (I forget what pitcher it was). And then Reggie gets up off the ground, dusts himself off, and parks the next pitch right over the centerfield wall. I never seen anyone else do that.

post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 20, 12:06 PM
Joel

I'm left handed, but shoot right handed (I'm right-eyed). Came in handy flying the A-10; we used to write our FAC instructions on the inside of the canopy with a grease pencil, so I could write with my left hand, while continuing to fly with my right. Right-handers had to switch, and fly with their left while writing, which just ain't natural.
BillyGman and B52bombardier1 like this.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 20, 12:29 PM
Tech Team
Rick

I used to steer the sensor and fire the lasers in my Litening pod with my right hand and do everything else with my left hand and I'm left handed. Fortunately, the interphone button was built into the floor and got pressed with my left foot.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in