End of my rope. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 9:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eddie

End of my rope.

Okay so I have a real SS 70 and I was rocking and rolling with doing a full frame off restoration. Things went good at first then I got screwed from a few people that were “helping” with body work. It set me back a bit and I found a better place to get some work done. Things have come up more and more and the car has been on a full stop for a few years now. So I’m thinking of selling it as a project now. I don’t know if I should get it to a better stopping point before selling it or take it for what it is. Any advice?

So far it’s got powder coated frame, hotchkis suspension, Willwood 4 piston calipers disc, slotted and drilled, all new metal quarters, doors, floor pan and trunk, shaved fire wall, undercoating on the bottom done, 496 roller stroker, forged pistons, comp cam .685, scat internals, with patriot aluminum heads. I have the build sheet to show it’s a real SS. MSD ignition, foose wheels with nitto tires.

Need: transmission, all wiring, paint, full interior, fuel lines and brake lines done, all the glass, full dash and gages.

I would like advice on this. Sell it? Keep it and try to keep going? Find another car done? Was thinking of letting it go for $9k seems low I think but people won’t go for something that isn’t completely done so I don’t know what it would be worth. I appreciate any advice given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 9:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: End of my rope.

Any pictures?

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 9:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

I'd just keep at it until it's done and you can enjoy it.
Clint44, BossHogg69 and Molly's 70 like this.

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 10:08 AM
Tech Team
Kurt

You’ve come too far to give up ...
I got discouraged a few times, too....
But, now it’s 99.9% complete (never be 100%) ....
Keep at it .... You’ll be happy you did ...

1966 Black/Red SS coupe .....
402 BBC
Holley Sniper EFI
Long tube headers
Tremec TKO 600
CPP 13/12 4 wheel disc brakes
Truetrac 3:73 Posi
Classic a/c
Dakota VHX gages
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 10:45 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

If it is really kicking you in the rear and making you miserable, you could step back & take stock. How do you feel about the car? Do you still want the finished product, or is it more a reminder of getting hassled and it puts a knot in your stomach each time you see it?
It is tough to sell a project that isn't together, and you will take a bath financially . You can get some money back but it will likely be pennies on the dollar. If you can, you are better off seeing it through. Selling it in itself can be an aggravation, in terms of time & perhaps dealing with tire kickers. Maybe a little pep-talk from us will help get you over this period of malaise. If you can re-ignite the fire that drove you to embark on this project, if you can still imagine the finished Chevelle & you using it the way you intended, that is the best way to go IMHO.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. It ultimately is your decision and you need to do what feels right. (We don't need your decision today)

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 10:59 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

If you are going to sell it, putting more money in it rarely adds net value. It sounds as if you put some high dollar parts on it that will also not add value to most buyers of an unfinished car. The exception would be finding that rare individual that shares your vision. Therefore you might consider selling some of the more expensive parts, especially aftermarket or non original.
Cam and BossHogg69 like this.

I don’t like being manipulated!
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:06 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

So hard to answer without pics.
You might be so close that encouragement to finish it may be what you need.
Or depending on the current state it may well be best to let it go.
The problem I see from just the basic description is the expensive stuff still ahead. It could require $30-40k to finish.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eddie

I have lots of pictures just none on my phone since I’ve dumped them all to a hard drive to clear space. Well this is my dream car and I have it. I don’t get ill hearted thinking about being finished. I guess my biggest issue is every year having something come up (Financially) that takes away from getting things done to her. I’ve heard it from lots of people saying they wished they never sold their cars and that’s with all kinds of different cars not just these gems. I guess I lost focus on it so I was thinking it should be sold to someone that could finish her quick. I’m gonna sit in this for a bit and really figure out a way to get her finished. My wife says I’m stupid and crazy for even thinking about selling the car. She is such a great wife. Most I know would been happy to see it go. Hey guys I greatly appreciate the responses. I just needed to hear from the guys that have been there and know what it is dealing with frustrating times while pushing through to get it done. I just need patience and a crap load of money 😂. I will post pics as we get started. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to the forum. It’s already feeling good to be back with the community.
davewho1, shovelrick and 68-13427 like this.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team

only you know the answer....borrow to do it. Thing is the time it takes!
Would selling take you out of the hobby? Doesnt sound like "youre done". Had to go in debt to finish mine still needs a thing or two so what. Glad I did

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Eddie, I think it depends on your age. If you're young, you have lots of time ahead of you to finish restoring the car and then enjoy it but if you're not (like me, I'm 68), then unfortunately you don't have as much time left and taking 4 ~ 5 years to do a full restoration on a car is too long... Hey!...I wouldn't want to have to wait 'till I'm 72 to enjoy my car! That's why my answer to your initial question is to sell it and buy one that's already restored and that you can enjoy RIGHT NOW.

Claude.
Clint44, JJ'65, boyd66k20 and 3 others like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:23 AM
Tech Team
Lou

It's all about how much you have in it and how much you can expect to get out of it by selling it now. The buyer's start to drop off when your trying to sell a parts car. Nobody knows if everything is there. Becomes a logistical problem picking up all the parts and shipping them. Shippers don't like bodies and boxes and parts. Stuff gets lost along the way. The best scenario is if you had a guy locally that knew of the car and has been along side you as you did the work. The next option is someone near by. That's one reason a club is a good thing to belong to. I almost sold mine a few years ago since it seemed like an overwhelming amount of work but convinced myself to tough it out and just keep going. These guys helped convince me to keep it since I had asked the same question. Even if it was only an hour a day in the evenings. It will get done. Then there's the issue of cost. How much are you doing yourself and how much is farmed out. You can end up putting more into a restoration than what you get out of it by farming out all the work. Which means it's not about the money but the anticipation of owning it and driving it. I can't keep mine so it's always been a money issue with me. If you can keep it and drive it then that's motivation to just keep going. That is unless your just dog tired and would rather buy one finished and drive it. Good luck.

Lou
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Depending on what's really there (no photos), you could get 12-15k for this as is.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
1970 Chevelle 517 cid, TH400, best ET mid 9's. #19.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:32 AM
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Eddie, I think it depends on your age. If you're young, you have lots of time ahead of you to finish restoring the car and then enjoy it but if you're not (like me, I'm 68), then unfortunately you don't have as much time left and taking 4 ~ 5 years to do a full restoration on a car is too long... Hey!...I wouldn't want to have to wait 'till I'm 72 to enjoy my car! That's why my answer to your initial question is to sell it and buy one that's already restored and that you can enjoy RIGHT NOW.

Claude.
Hey, your never too old to enjoy a good ride. Working on your car keeps you young in attitude and mobile physically. As a friend of mine say's to me, "what else are you going to do " yeah I know, go golf.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:55 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

So is it ready for paint or does it still need body work. If just prep for paint and then painted ( by reputable shop) and you finishing all the other items yourself then I guesstimate you have $20K-$25K left till finish. If body is more work remaining and you are going to have someone else do the rest of the work then you could easily have $40K left.
Think for the $10 K you could recoup from selling and the $25K (doing most yourself or the $40K ( someone else finishing) you would have $35K-$50K to spend on one already finished. At the upper end of that $50k you should be able to get a very nice car and $35k should get you a nice driver. You could be cruising in just a few months.
How long have you been at it and how long realisticly do you have left. Maybe look around and see what you can buy for that amount.
Lew540 likes this.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I was in Eddie's predicament. I started out with intent to build a show car, but life and time and finance got in the way. In addition the car was just a Malibu, no real pedigree, so I re-aligned my goals for it. No way could I justify spending 20-30k on paint on top of everything else I had spent and done to it. My brother had a good air supply, so I bought a halfway decent paint gun and Summit paint and learned to lay down an acceptable paint job. My painting cost will wind up being a little over $2k. No, it'll never be a show car and probably a 20 footer at best. But it's mine, I did all of it, and I'll enjoy the heck out of driving it when it hits the road. Eddie, think your situation through, you can save a lot of cash by taking on these tasks yourself, and your satisfaction level goes way up.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in