75 years ago today - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

33Likes
  • 7 Post By spinshop
  • 7 Post By Stokerboats
  • 5 Post By 68Chevele
  • 4 Post By gmw468
  • 2 Post By jackie schmidt
  • 4 Post By 1775SS
  • 4 Post By novass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 2:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Tim

75 years ago today

I remember my boss, who taught me my trade,telling me stories of when he was there.
He became sergeant because his sergeant was killed during the battle.
He showed me a huge Japaneses flag he had brought back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 2:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 75 years ago today

God bless those great Americans.

'66 SS Chevelle
91 octane special
first day out
[email protected]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 5:32 PM
Tech Team

Just think of the world we would have if those guys did not fight in that war. Thank you guys, every day for giving us our freedom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 5:57 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, I had the honor and privilege to meet Medal of Honor winner Woody Williams who won the Medal at this epic battle.

I'm honored and humbled to have worn the same uniform as these men.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 8:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

As a veteran who was drafted, I can feel a kindred spirit with these men, the majority who were also conscripts.
p40 and 1775SS like this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 9:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage

In 1992, a few of my Marine Corps buddies and myself went on a trip with a group of former Marines. This was a three day event which took us through Arlington Cemetery and a few other sites in the DC area. The highlight of the trip was to see the Evening Parade at the Marine Corps Barracks on 8th and I street. ( seeing the evening parade was at the top of my bucket list )

Well, the group of former Marines that put this memorable trip together, mostly consisted of WWII, Korea and Vietnam war participants. One WWII Marine on our bus told us about his first mission, as the LCU's departed from the ships heading toward Iwo Jima. He was to take the original flag, which was a smaller flag, to the top of Mt Suribachi. His name is Fred Huffman. He accomplished the mission, and the one thing we didn't know was the original US flag he carried to the top was replaced by the larger one we all see in the flag raising photo.

I ran into him again at the Marine Corps Museum outside of Quantico in 2010 when I retired. He was volunteering his time at the museum working at a WWII display. I again thanked him for his service.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 10:11 PM
Tech Team
Mike

greatest generation.

15 years in Craft Brewing/ Distilling Industry
Lead Maintenance Mechanic
Submarine Service SSN 575 / SSN 683

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in